The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have you given up on this season. Let's take a poll!

Rate this topic

Ghostsof1915

Is the season over? Yes, No, Maybe?  

283 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

if we play .500 hockey the rest of the season we miss.  To make 98 points we need to play something like .644 hockey with a solid 1.3 of those points coming from within our own division.

Ask me in Dec, most people know how I feel now.

maybe 90-92 points will be enough... not sure how much that changes the math though lol

Edited by Rubik

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And I repeat, gatekeeping is garbage. There are fair weather fans in every fanbase and on every fan site.

But let's get something clear, you don't get to dictate who can be a fan of what or how they engage with a team, or anything for that matter. Gatekeeping is trash, gatekeepers are garbage. I disagree with the opinions and views of some fans, to an intense level on some matters, but I don't question whether they're fans or not. If someone can be assed to sign up for a Canuck forum to discuss the Canucks they're a fan, plain and simple. If you don't like how they fan that's a you problem not a them problem. 

I'm a big punk guy, I'm a big metal guy, I'm into shit like video games, comics, anime, and manga, I'm very, very familiar with gatekeeping and gatekeepers. They just ruin shit for everyone, including the folks who might agree with their opinions. 

A fanbase doesn't need to be an echo chamber, there's room for all sorts of views, opinions, and beliefs. 

I am not gate keeping what ever the f you think that means. I do not control who is a fan or not. I am just pointing out that a lot of fans are only fans if the team is winning.

13 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Regardless of whether you hate it or not, is irrelevant. Sure, they had a crappy start, but it's way too early to write the season off. 

And I'd agree with you, although I think it's more likely they miss than make it. 

Doesn't change the fact that gatekeeping fandom is garbage. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And I'd agree with you, although I think it's more likely they miss than make it. 

Doesn't change the fact that gatekeeping fandom is garbage. 

That I agree with. I've said things before as well. But it's not up to me to dictate how someone should act like a fan. 

As far as too late, there's still a lot of games to be played. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I think the start has shown us how much work needs to be done to fix the defense. 

It's too much for in-season trades imo. Benning left this team in a very tough situation on the back end and unfortunately the regime was unable to do a single thing about it over the summer.

I dont think this team can out-score its defensive issues.

• Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I hate when this gets thrown around, gatekeeping fandom is garbage. 

Could say the same thing about homerism really.

Fans who refuse to be critical and just tow the line aren't real fans. Real fans care about success and want it, whereas homers just want to fit in.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

if we play .500 hockey the rest of the season we miss.  To make 98 points we need to play something like .644 hockey with a solid 1.3 of those points coming from within our own division.

Ask me in Dec, most people know how I feel now.

.625 i did the math .. if we can't do that, we don't deserve to be there in the first place given ten teams or so are over .500 but don't make it with loser points. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Which is why there's the Maybe option, it's too early to call.

If they go to 4-16 then I would have a different answer but I think they could get into the playoffs as is.

Imo they really need to make a major roster move or two to be winning in the post season though.

After more than 40+ responses.

And under 14% state they have given up.

It's too early to make a final call.

But I would suggest that Canucksfan8353 was a wee bit off on his estimation that 95% of the fans have given up on the season.

Maybe he meant 95% were frustrated with the bad start?

• Like 1
  • There it is 2

14 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Could say the same thing about homerism really.

Fans who refuse to be critical and just tow the line aren't real fans. Real fans care about success and want it, whereas homers just want to fit in.

Don't assume anything - that's my mantra.   And don't speak in generalizations.   It's tough at times.  Real fans lol...for a long time i beat a drum saying that anyone that only grew up with the WCE and Sedin teams were spoiled.   Now it's more of a level playing  field.   Anyone who's a fan of the Canucks - is a fan of the Canucks.   I don't get those idiots that say "high standard high standard - criticize every single minute detail" like they have some sort of sway, acting like spoiled brats not getting their way and having a tantrum, those aren't good fans... real or not.   Or those fans throwing their sweaters on the ice ... pouting mofo's, they'd have lost their teeth when i was a kid.   There was a time, when there wasn't social media (like this ... wow i sure didn't realize i was doing that whoops!) or cell phones or the internet, and people went to a bar to watch the game or a party ... .    And if you went to and if people were criticizing your team while wearing an Oilers or Flames or whatever jersey, that it often didn't make it outside.   This is a blanket statement i won't get behind.   Homers shouldn't be confused with people that just want the best for their team.   No matter what.   What your saying i have never actually met anyone like that really.   Not on this site either, every single fan on this site has been critical at one point or another. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

I'm not giving up - as they say there's always a 'mathematical chance'.

But I essentially had ZERO expectations going into this season for one reason - they did NOTHING to address our biggest issue - defence.  My feeling all along was that regardless of the forward depth that they build in the off-season, if they didn't meaningfully address the composition of the defence personnel then essentially we'd be in the exact same position as last year, or worse. 

Looking back, I said repeatedly to others that Demko masked a LOT of issues with this club and if he had even an 'average' season we'd be doomed -  but I was totally dismissed by several here trying to argue that the 'superior' depth of the forwards would surely nullify any other team issues.  

And here we are now......

• There it is 1

I'm all for tanking for Bedard can you imagine Bedard and Petey on a line together. With that said though I'm a maybe only because I would love to see Bedard in a Canucks uniform but also happy to see them win as well. At the end of the day I'm a Canucks fan.

• Cheers 2