The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to trade our first round draft pick?

Rate this topic

UnkNuk

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

EXACTLY!   Which is why we should think about SWAPPING our pick while there is uncertainty about just how bad our team is.  Because, unless you think this team really is one of the worst teams in the league, a mid-round pick is what we'll be getting this next draft.   

We are one of the worst teams in the league (the worst currently).

All evidence points to this.  It would be silly to bet otherwise and building in a massive amount of risk to a trade for little return.

You are basing an entire proposal assuming we are suddenly going to go on a tear and outplay literally at least half the league over the rest of the season. We have more than a 50% chance of making our pick worse with your idea.

C1C6E671-89B1-4C27-A27A-F87175E72DED.png

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Not even going to read this. 
Title says enough.  

We are the worst team in the league heading into a draft with 3 franchise players in it.  

Trading the puck away to try to fix this dog shit team would be 100% backwards.  

We need to be seeking off our garbage for more picks.  

This team is rotten.   Time to freshen it up for the future 

I’ve obviously been following the Bedard sweepstakes. I am interested in your comment on the other two franchise players in this draft. Can you shed some light on these players and what you know about them?

• Cheers 1

It doesn't matter what we do. If we keep our pick then we'll go on a 23-0 tear after the TDL and end up 2 points out of the playoffs with the worst possible pick available to us.

If we trade the pick it will be because everyone is back and healthy and we start to string together a bunch of W's. Immediately after trading said pick, Demko, Pettersson, Horvat, Miller and Hughes all go down with season ending injuries and we would finish dead last, win the lottery and promptly turn Connor Bedard over to another team. And just to toss salt in the gaping wound, the player we traded for demands a trade out of town because we sucked so bad, and sits until he gets it.

Canuck Luck...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Blow hard for Bedard...

We should be collecting more picks, not trading them away.  If JR wants to trade the 1st round pick to try and save the season and his job then he really should do the right thing and resign and let someone else run the ship...

Aquilini?  

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Provost said:

We are one of the worst teams in the league (the worst currently).

All evidence points to this.  It would be silly to bet otherwise and building in a massive amount of risk to a trade for little return.

You are basing an entire proposal assuming we are suddenly going to go on a tear and outplay literally at least half the league over the rest of the season. We have more than a 50% chance of making our pick worse with your idea.

Yes, we are the worst team in the league at this moment.  That's what makes our first round pick so valuable at this moment.  That's why, if such a trade/swap is to be made, it would have to be made soon.  As the Canucks start winning, they start moving up in the standings, our draft position starts going downward and becomes less valuable.

Look, I understand why people are skittish about the idea of swapping our first round pick.  So they want to play it safe.  But we all know what's going to happen. Either the Canucks are going to make the playoffs (which I think will happen) and we're not going to get any shot at the top five picks or we're just going to miss out on the playoffs in which case we're only going to have a miniscule chance of getting one of the top five picks.

This proposal is an attempt to break out of that mediocre pattern.  As well, it would mean that we derived some benefit from the Canucks poor start to this season.

Let me add:  for those fans here who think that this Canucks team is so bad, so devoid of talent, that they are going to end up at the end of the season in the 30-32 position, then, absolutely, we don't swap, trade, sell or barter our pick.  It's just that I don't think they're that bad a team.

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Blow hard for Bedard...

We should be collecting more picks, not trading them away.  If JR wants to trade the 1st round pick to try and save the season and his job then he really should do the right thing and resign and let someone else run the ship...

Sigh.  Once again, let me clarify.  And I apologize for my seeming inability to get my main point across.  I'm not saying that we should simply trade away our first round pick and then have no first round pick at all in this deep draft.  I am suggesting that there could be a way (perhaps a farfetched way) that we could SWAP our first round pick with another team in a way that could be very advantageous to the Canucks.  Especially if they swap it with the right team and also make the playoffs.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Not even going to read this. 
Title says enough.  

We are the worst team in the league heading into a draft with 3 franchise players in it.  

Trading the puck away to try to fix this dog shit team would be 100% backwards.  

We need to be seeking off our garbage for more picks.  

This team is rotten.   Time to freshen it up for the future 

True story. I firmly believe that the only way to build a consistent contender to even give yourself a shot at the cup is through the draft. Draft and develop players well and you can use them to upgrade weaknesses from a position of strength. 

You know, instead of trading “fifth round picks” for a warm jockstrap. The old “so and so round pick has a 10% chance at playing 100 games in the nhl” is such an inane excuse. You could also say “why is that team willing to trade this player for a 10% chance on 100 games?”  

Its like sticking a bandaid on a bullet wound. Scorched earth is my opinion for this team. The core is rotten and will be too old (for the most part), by the time they have enough talent and depth to really compete anyway. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Sigh.  Once again, let me clarify.  And I apologize for my seeming inability to get my main point across.  I'm not saying that we should simply trade away our first round pick and then have no first round pick at all in this deep draft.  I am suggesting that there could be a way (perhaps a farfetched way) that we could SWAP our first round pick with another team in a way that could be very advantageous to the Canucks.  Especially if they swap it with the right team and also make the playoffs.

I get what you’re suggesting.  I’m drunk, but get it.  You believe we are a 10-20 place team and that there are a couple teams currently in a playoff spot (like Buffalo) who we could switch firsts with and collect other assets.  Then, by the end of the year we are drafting 10-20 and they are drafting top five.  We switch picks and are happy.  But maybe we are actually the bottom five team, and switch picks and draft 17?  Maybe it’s better to keep our pick and add more by trading guys like Bo, Miller, Demko, Hughes and do a proper rebuild? 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 2

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

Sure, if we swap it with Arizona I would be okay with that...

• There it is 2

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I get what you’re suggesting.  I’m drunk, but get it.  You believe we are a 10-20 place team and that there are a couple teams currently in a playoff spot (like Buffalo) who we could switch firsts with and collect other assets.  Then, by the end of the year we are drafting 10-20 and they are drafting top five.  We switch picks and are happy.  But maybe we are actually the bottom five team, and switch picks and draft 17?  Maybe it’s better to keep our pick and add more by trading guys like Bo, Miller, Demko, Hughes and do a proper rebuild? 

If we finish last we don't need to switch picks.  Bedard will be all ours...

• Like 1

If this team does another 1st rounder for declining, long-term, overpaid veteran like OEL, I’m going to need therapy.

Just look at Guenther’s numbers.

2003 draft 2.0 and you want to move the 1st. Should be acquiring 1st rounders.

• Like 2
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, swizzey said:

I’ve obviously been following the Bedard sweepstakes. I am interested in your comment on the other two franchise players in this draft. Can you shed some light on these players and what you know about them?

The other two are Matvei Michkov and Adam Fantilli.  
A lot of people say Matvei would challenge Bedard for 1st overall if it wasn’t for the Russia issue and his contract with St. Pet…..

I think the soonest he could come over would be 2025, and that’s if he can get out.   

I really like Fantelli.  Pretty rounded player.  Good size, good shot, can pass….

All 3 project to be 1st liners, but Michkov could actually drop a lot due to his baggage. 

Admittedly, I don’t know a ton about them as I’m not a big scout guy, and it’s damn near impossible to find stuff from Russia. 
But from what I’ve read, and the clips I’ve seen, these 3 are game changers.  

And Bedard is a Canucks PJs kinda kid.  

Id trade a lot for that, and watch a lot of losses 

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I'm sensing a lack of enthusiasm for my proposal.

Let me repeat:  this is for those fans (like myself) who think the Canucks are going to make the playoffs this season.  

I’m sorry, but what the hell have you seen from this team makes you think the playoffs are an option?  

They are currently the worst team in the league.  

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1