The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to trade our first round draft pick?

Rate this topic

UnkNuk

As for the OP... instead we should be considering add first round picks.    As in picking a team that's supposed to be in the playoffs,  because then they'd want to be buyers, and do it soon and hope they fall on their faces.   St.Louis for example.   Pick a few teams actually ... and trade Brock to one, Horvat another ... take bad worse cap and lesser players on 1-2 year deals.   Then tank.    Garland also could be used in this way.   At the TDL, Pearson and Myers. 

With 3-4 first extra round picks this year and next, plus some second and third round picks ...well that's a nice boost in 1-3 years.  Maybe plan for two years of just that.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How about?

Barzal, Dobson and 2023,24,25 second round picks for Boeser, OEL and Rathbone, if the 2023 1st rounder is in the top 10, Canucks keep it, but it becomes an unconditional 2024 first round pick to NYI?

Deal...:lol:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I'm sensing a lack of enthusiasm for my proposal.

Let me repeat:  this is for those fans (like myself) who think the Canucks are going to make the playoffs this season.  If we do, we're going to be picking 17th or higher and won't be getting a crack at Bedard or the other top four.  (I've read here, for people who know more about the upcoming draft than I, that the top five are all pretty good.)

On the other hand, if you think, as some here do, that the Canucks are a terrible team who are going to finish somewhere near the bottom of the table, then, sure, you hold onto the pick.

The real question, it seems to me, is what do Rutherford and the rest of Canucks management, think about this team's prospects?  If they believe this is a playoff team I could see them making a trade like this.  But it would have to be in the near future while the Canucks are still (temporarily) wallowing at the bottom of the league.

Rutherford, I believe, has a reputation as a wheeler-dealer.  You have to admit, swapping our first round pick would be a wheel-and-deal.

Is there a risk involved?  Yes.   But, as the saying goes:  no risk, no reward.   Or, no guts, no glory.

Also, consider the impact such a swap would have on our team.  That is, suppose Rutherford came out and said:  "There's no way on God's green  earth that we will swap our first round pick!".  What message would that send to the team?  It would say that he and the rest of management have no confidence that they are capable of getting into the playoffs and that our draft pick will be a high one.

On the other hand, if he did swap draft picks in the manner I proposed, it would be a vote of confidence in our team.  That management thinks they will finish higher up in the standings with a lower draft pick that is tradeable.

first highlights part.... :lol::lol::lol:... maybe a slight understatement.

Second part....

Problem is its an enormous gamble, especially in a year where there is a borderline Generational talent as the top of the pile...

Fans would never forgive the management team, should it fail... even the fans believing/hoping for them to make the play offs.

tbh the idea of getting a 1st round pick from a team that is not expected to be near the bottom, but ends there, was how Avs got Byram with the Sens pick, but to give up our 1st round pick with the start we've had, would be insane, and even Mystic Meg and her crystal ball wouldn't do it....

Edited by spook007
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1

6 minutes ago, spook007 said:

first highlights part.... :lol::lol::lol:... maybe a slight understatement.

Second part....

Problem is its an enormous gamble, especially in a year where there is a borderline Generational talent as the top of the pile...

Fans would never forgive the management team, should it fail... even the fans believing/hoping for them to make the play offs.

tbh the idea of getting a 1st round pick from a team that is not expected to be near the bottom, but ends there, was how Avs got Byram with the Pens pick, but to give up our 1st round pick with the start we've had, would be insane, and even Mystic Meg and her crystal ball wouldn't do it....

OTT fans were literally sh!tting bricks.    They loved the Duchene deal early on, they were one OT goal away from going to the Cup Final, EK was unreal, Stone was playing like a Selke candidate, they had a decent mix of old and young etc ... adding Duchene and putting that pick down the road a year ... what could go wrong?   Virtually everything.   That locker room fell apart.   And instead of taking the next step, it was completely dismantled.    And they sucked so bad the Duchene pick ended up being the best odds for first overall.     Sure some sighs of relief.   Just lucky it wasn't Makar's draft lol... then they'd be freaking out still.     In the end it worked out for them, they recovered trading Duchene and for the most part, got decent value for blowing it up.   Zibenajad for a second isn't a good look though, they should have kept one vet from that old team, either him or Stone.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I'm basing it on last season's performance when they played .649 hockey over 57 games with BB as coach.  That indicates to me that this team has talent enough to get into the playoffs.

What about all the seasons of failure with the same lineup.  
This core has sucked for a lot more than 57 games.  
People are looking too far into those games. 
This is the team.   
The rush from the coaching change is over. 

But for fun, say we trade away what is looking like the best draft pick we will ever have, and we barely squeak into the playoffs.  
What happens then?   
We get steam rolled by a real contender, then start next season without a new all star rookie.  

That’s no better than Aquaman denying rebuilds for that chance of revenue from 2 playoff games. 

This is the worst logic I've ever read.  Let's ensure we suck for longer by trading away a high pick for more salary!  We are already spending passed the cap ffs, stop the stupidity. We need to accept that this team is garbage and move pieces out for a full rebuild.  Even last year when we were doing good it was only because Demko was standing on his head. Now that he isn't we get to see what this team really is.  A flaming pile of garbage. 4 players worth keeping, Hughes, Pettersson, Horvat & Demko. Turf the rest for as much as you can get.

12 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I'm basing it on last season's performance when they played .649 hockey over 57 games with BB as coach.  That indicates to me that this team has talent enough to get into the playoffs.

I think it was because Rutherford said there would be changes that fans might not like but would be okay with because the fans were knowledgeable in this market. So maybe the players played better so they were valuable to other teams in hopes of being traded. Play good enough so other team might want them.

Two years of trading the #1's is hurting the team immensely, player depth, skill and cap control the same for the other picks as well.

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

As for the OP... instead we should be considering add first round picks.

100%

Still trying to decide if the OP is trolling the board or is serious but yes, this team needs more top end picks.

19 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I'm sensing a lack of enthusiasm for my proposal.

Let me repeat:  this is for those fans (like myself) who think the Canucks are going to make the playoffs this season.  If we do, we're going to be picking 17th or higher and won't be getting a crack at Bedard or the other top four.  (I've read here, for people who know more about the upcoming draft than I, that the top five are all pretty good.)

On the other hand, if you think, as some here do, that the Canucks are a terrible team who are going to finish somewhere near the bottom of the table, then, sure, you hold onto the pick.

The real question, it seems to me, is what do Rutherford and the rest of Canucks management, think about this team's prospects?  If they believe this is a playoff team I could see them making a trade like this.  But it would have to be in the near future while the Canucks are still (temporarily) wallowing at the bottom of the league.

Rutherford, I believe, has a reputation as a wheeler-dealer.  You have to admit, swapping our first round pick would be a wheel-and-deal.

Is there a risk involved?  Yes.   But, as the saying goes:  no risk, no reward.   Or, no guts, no glory.

Also, consider the impact such a swap would have on our team.  That is, suppose Rutherford came out and said:  "There's no way on God's green  earth that we will swap our first round pick!".  What message would that send to the team?  It would say that he and the rest of management have no confidence that they are capable of getting into the playoffs and that our draft pick will be a high one.

On the other hand, if he did swap draft picks in the manner I proposed, it would be a vote of confidence in our team.  That management thinks they will finish higher up in the standings with a lower draft pick that is tradeable.

This fanbase has developed an emotional allergy to trading picks.

When trade and picks are used in the same sentence we swell up, our heart rates increase and we start scanning our homes for guns.

We are a dysfunctional confused bunch here. 

We want to rebuild but we already have what most teams want when they rebuild( you don't rebuild a team that's already got Demko, petterson, Hughes podz, Horvat)

So now if we trade off all the other parts.......Miller etc, the picks you will receive picks that will take time to develope making our current core to old, or don't want to stay through all of that =  being in limbo.

The issue here is being able to properly diagnose what's wrong with this team. I personally don't believe it's solved by 1 top 4 defenseman. Last year when Travis Green got fired and we went on a tear we had alot of hope.  Now?  Obviously something else wrong.

But suggesting trading our first will not solve the problem. That's called grasping at straws. 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

When trade and picks are used in the same sentence we swell up, our heart rates increase and we start scanning our homes for guns.

We want to rebuild but we already have what most teams want when they rebuild( you don't rebuild a team that's already got Demko, petterson, Hughes podz, Horvat)

So now if we trade off all the other parts.......Miller etc, the picks you will receive picks that will take time to develope making our current core to old, or don't want to stay through all of that =  being in limbo.

The issue here is being able to properly diagnose what's wrong with this team. I personally don't believe it's solved by 1 top 4 defenseman. Last year when Travis Green got fired and we went on a tear we had alot of hope.  Now?  Obviously something else wrong.

But suggesting trading our first will not solve the problem. That's called grasping at straws. 

So we should commit to doing the exact same thing we've done since 2012?

Brilliant!

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

Season 8 Nbc GIF by The Office

Think this is the OPs thinking.   He's a gambler that's for sure...it's a hypothetical, who are these players we are swapping?    

Would you do Horvat for Dobson and switch firsts?   That would be awfully tempting wouldn't it.  

Dobson is worth a lot more than Horvat.

Another pipe dream..

Slow Motion Smoking GIF

Edited by PuckYa

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

You could say the exact same thing but instead do it about not gaining picks.   This team sucks even with those guys.  Doesn't it ?  I'm confused.  I'm going to check myself out now.