The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to trade our first round draft pick?

Rate this topic

UnkNuk

12 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

So would you suggest getting rid of everyone ? 

I have been unequivocal about who and what we should jettison

Horvat (we signed Miller so we're stuck with it) and he should go to Buffalo for Ostlund and a pick or CBJ for Jiricek

Boeser after he recovers and is put on display for a pick.  2nd or higher to whoever will take him

Myers to literally anywhere

Pearson to literally anywhere

OEL we're stuck with now

Those trades make us so non competitive that we will be drafting top 5.  But those players are also keyed in as being huge reasons we're underperforming (Horvat aside)

I'd even be willing to cut deeper within this or next season with Miller/Demko/Hughes or Pettersson being on the block.  

With our untouchables being Hughes, Podkolzin, Hughes I'd be willing to jettison half the team in order to remain competitive but if a can't miss deal came along for Hughes/Demko they'd be gone too.

But the one thing, we absolutely can not do is be trading our first and second round picks and I have mountains of data why.

Edited by Warhippy

Howdy, folks:

First, I want to apologize for not responding individually to all the questions that have been raised about my proposal but time is limited.  And the critiques are many.(I may have established a record for most negative reactions to a single post in CDC history.)

Secondly, I recognize that there are many people in this forum who know more about hockey than I do.  I appreciate your feedback and enjoy the various memes.  And, no, I'm not trolling this group with my suggestion.

Thirdly, I made a mistake in including the word "trade" in my title.  I should have emphasized the word "swap" instead.  It seems to me that some posters don't understand that I'm suggesting that a swap of first round draft picks could work to the Canucks' advantage. 

Which raises a question for those of you who seem to think the Canucks' first round draft pick is sacrosanct: Would you trade Vancouver's first round draft pick in the 2023 draft for Arizona's first round draft pick in the 2023 draft?  If you would then perhaps you can sense what I'm trying to do in my proposal.

Finally, let me just say:  HISTORY WILL ABSOLVE ME!  Mark my words (go ahead, write them down on a sticky note and paste it to your computer screen):  At the end of this regular season, when the Canucks are in the playoffs and have the twentieth overall pick in the draft with no chance at getting Bedard or any other of the highly ranked prospects, many who are now criticising me will be saying:  "You know, maybe UnkNuk was right.  We should have tried swapping our first round pick when we were in last place for someone else's.  Why O why didn't Canucks management do something like this?"

Or, then again, maybe they won't.  Maybe most everyone here is right and the Canucks will still be in 32nd place.  We'll just have to wait and see.

In the meantime, GCG!  In whatever form of going you favour!            ::D

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, UnkNuk said:

Howdy, folks:

First, I want to apologize for not responding individually to all the questions that have been raised about my proposal but time is limited.  And the critiques are many.(I may have established a record for most negative reactions to a single post in CDC history.)

Secondly, I recognize that there are many people in this forum who know more about hockey than I do.  I appreciate your feedback and enjoy the various memes.  And, no, I'm not trolling this group with my suggestion.

Thirdly, I made a mistake in including the word "trade" in my title.  I should have emphasized the word "swap" instead.  It seems to me that some posters don't understand that I'm suggesting that a swap of first round draft picks could work to the Canucks' advantage. 

Which raises a question for those of you who seem to think the Canucks' first round draft pick is sacrosanct: Would you trade Vancouver's first round draft pick in the 2023 draft for Arizona's first round draft pick in the 2023 draft?  If you would then perhaps you can sense what I'm trying to do in my proposal.

Finally, let me just say:  HISTORY WILL ABSOLVE ME!  Mark my words (go ahead, write them down on a sticky note and paste it to your computer screen):  At the end of this regular season, when the Canucks are in the playoffs and have the twentieth overall pick in the draft with no chance at getting Bedard or any other of the highly ranked prospects, many who are now criticising me will be saying:  "You know, maybe UnkNuk was right.  We should have tried swapping our first round pick when we were in last place for someone else's.  Why O why didn't Canucks management do something like this?"

Or, then again, maybe they won't.  Maybe most everyone here is right and the Canucks will still be in 32nd place.  We'll just have to wait and see.

Vancouver is leaps and bounds above arizona.  better defense, forwards and goaltending.  swapping picks plus a player only ensures that we will be giving up more than we are getting in return.  it's also zero guarantee at all of drafting 1st overall and could result in us giving up and asset moving one spot and seeing the prize go to a lottery winning team.

57 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I have been unequivocal about who and what we should jettison

Horvat (we signed Miller so we're stuck with it) and he should go to Buffalo for Ostlund and a pick or CBJ for Jiricek

Boeser after he recovers and is put on display for a pick.  2nd or higher to whoever will take him

Myers to literally anywhere

Pearson to literally anywhere

OEL we're stuck with now

Those trades make us so non competitive that we will be drafting top 5.  But those players are also keyed in as being huge reasons we're underperforming (Horvat aside)

I'd even be willing to cut deeper within this or next season with Miller/Demko/Hughes or Pettersson being on the block.  

With our untouchables being Hughes, Podkolzin, Hughes I'd be willing to jettison half the team in order to remain competitive but if a can't miss deal came along for Hughes/Demko they'd be gone too.

But the one thing, we absolutely can not do is be trading our first and second round picks and I have mountains of data why.

Podkolzins far from untouchable..lol

• RoughGame 1

21 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

You trade those 4 and might as well add Petey to the mix as he isn't sticking around for a rebuild according to his past comments. He wants to play for a winner.

I'm not sure if you're saying if we keep those 4 players we will be a winning team or continue to be a winner? 

No chance is this current group a winning team. We saw it last year and it is happening again this year. Also guys like Miller are in their prime now, so after a few years a decline is likely to happen. 

But for context, at the moment I would like the Canucks to trade Miller and 1 of Boeser or Garland. Resign Horvat and retool the group around the young core and hopefully have a good pick this year in the first (maybe more than 1). Ideally then we'd take another crack at trying to make the playoffs next season and some of the young guys take a step. 

• There it is 1

27 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Howdy, folks:

You may be right, you may be wrong... Odds are stacked agaist you, but hang in the amigo.  :)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That's your opinion.

Mine is that his value now is higher to the team as an unknown than it is to another as an addition or throw away

True, yet depends on return. 
Atm nobody should be untouchable, but do agree in general.