The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Sheldon Dries

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I know Myrenberg might have been a long shot but we really can’t afford to be trading D prospects at this stage. Especially not for the level of player you can find on waivers or call up from the farm.

Dries is an example of that. He’s looked every bit as good as Studnicka.

Feels like Benning all over again. Let’s just hope Myrenberg doesn’t become another Klingberg…

The team looked pretty bad overall against NJD so I think it's hard to judge Studnicka at this early stage.  I have similar concerns about Myrenberg being dealt however.

11 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Based on the morning skate lines, it looks like they recalled Dries to move Studnicka to the wing and scratch Hoglander.

If they're not going to consistently utilize Hoglander they should just let him get big minutes at the AHL level. Same with Podkolzin. 

Playing them on the fourth line is a waste, if we want them to be top six players we should be giving them opportunities to play valuable minutes in larger roles elsewhere. With Podz in particular, being a top 10 pick isn't some kind of guarantee he won't see AHL time. If Nemec can play there as a #2OA anyone can. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Huggy Bear 1

51 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I know Myrenberg might have been a long shot but we really can’t afford to be trading D prospects at this stage. Especially not for the level of player you can find on waivers or call up from the farm.

Feels like Benning all over again. Let’s just hope Myrenberg doesn’t become another Klingberg…

Worse a Forsling.

Scratching Hoglander only makes some sense if management wants to send him to Abbotsford to play more minutes and in a more offensive role.  Maybe that will help get him going.

Just sitting Hoglander doesn't help anyone.

Dries has played well in his call-ups but outside of injury, should he really be in the line-up?

I am concerned that Studnicka is already being moved to wing. The greatest value he had (IMHO) was that he could possibly play C. Have they given up on that already?

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Prospects like Myrenberg are traded all the time.  When they do, people here says Who for who?   Because we are fans, we knows our prospect in-depth, while we don't really care about lower graded prospect around the league.  When we trade one, we are trading away the next Bobby Orr but when other teams do it, it's ok.  Chicago who is also rebuilding just traded away a former 1st rounder.  Yet everyone thinks we should be doing what Chicago is doing right now with their rebuild. 

For every Forsling, we traded away, we have kept a ton of others that never panned out.  Rodin, Brisebois, Lockwood, Lind, Gadjovich, Subban, Virtanen, Gaunce, Mallet, Grenier, Jensen, etc.

Instead of keeping them, we could have traded them away like we did with Dahlen and get something decent in return.   

Win some, lose some.  Think we need to get over Myrenberg.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Scratching Hoglander only makes some sense if management wants to send him to Abbotsford to play more minutes and in a more offensive role.  Maybe that will help get him going.

Just sitting Hoglander doesn't help anyone.

Dries has played well in his call-ups but outside of injury, should he really be in the line-up?

I am concerned that Studnicka is already being moved to wing. The greatest value he had (IMHO) was that he could possibly play C. Have they given up on that already?

Probably a good thing to give Studs a little time on the wing to adjust. He seemed a little lost at times, as far as knowing where his teammates would be, and also expecting guys to be in some spots they weren’t. Should be easier to find his bearings and build some familiarity playing on the wing, and then maybe slide back into the middle, once he has the systems down and understands the tendencies of his teammates.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

28 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Probably a good thing to give Studs a little time on the wing to adjust. He seemed a little lost at times, as far as knowing where his teammates would be, and also expecting guys to be in some spots they weren’t. Should be easier to find his bearings and build some familiarity playing on the wing, and then maybe slide back into the middle, once he has the systems down and understands the tendencies of his teammates.

Fair point.  I just hope they do put him back at C eventually.