The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What is Brock Boeser worth?

HKSR

Honestly, I think it's pretty obvious we wouldn't miss a beat offensively if we move on from Brock.  But what is he worth?

Reality is he's a 25g 50pt winger.

At the moment, I'd say a late 1st round pick or a 2nd round pick.  Maybe a B+ tier prospect.  Perhaps now is the time to trade him to a team for an unproven RHD prospect that has good upside?  

I think the best deal to make here is to take on a 1 or 2 year cap dump and a higher end return.

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not much with the injuries and poor start. He’s gonna have to raise his stock before we consider moving him. 

Unless you want to trade him for less. 

Agree now is not the time to trade him.    But he's a young veteran, with goal scoring abilities.  That always attract some buyers.  IMO he's definitely going to attract some team at the deadline, but also maybe before that with a team struggling to get some goals and being a fringe playoff team.

51 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Honestly, I think it's pretty obvious we wouldn't miss a beat offensively if we move on from Brock.  But what is he worth?

At the moment, I'd say a late 1st round pick or a 2nd round pick.  Maybe a B+ tier prospect.  Perhaps now is the time to trade him to a team for an unproven RHD prospect that has good upside?  

I think the best deal to make here is to take on a 1 or 2 year cap dump and a higher end return.

He's worth 6.65m cap space. Really don't think GM's around the league would be clamoring to offer picks for him without sending cap back. 

20 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Agree now is not the time to trade him.    But he's a young veteran, with goal scoring abilities.  That always attract some buyers.  IMO he's definitely going to attract some team at the deadline, but also maybe before that with a team struggling to get some goals and being a fringe playoff team.

At the deadline? Brocks playoff stats are not spiffy.

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

At the deadline? Brocks playoff stats are not spiffy.

He played one time, had a pretty decent showing with 11 pts in 17 games.  Can't blame him for his team not making the playoffs.  Penguins paid a 2nd, 3rd and 2 players for Richard Rakell last year with even more mediocre playoff stats.

The biggest turnoff with Brock is not his production or salary, it's the ability to remain healthy.  People here fantasized that Brock would be a 50th goal early on and are still clinging to that dream.  Easy to say his ceiling was overstated, but he's still a good hockey player that's still young, attractive with an ok salary (far from a burden), if he can show he can stay on the ice.  I can easily see a lot of suitors if healthy.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

conditional 1st, or 2nd and prospect, imo fwiw.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, thrago said:

I think the $6.5 million in cap space it the best part of what we get for Brock.  Should let us re-sign Bo and Kuz.

I was just saying to my son this morning.... trade Brock for mainly high picks and pay Bo his 6.5 and Kuz gets Bo's 5.6 

I could see a decent hockey trade with the Flames at TDL if we can stomach sending him over the mountains.

BB 50% retain for 2/3 rd pick Kylington and Kuznetsov. Cond 1st? If Kylington hangs them up?

Why: Kylinton has some offensive potential at 31 points but requires a stay at home D. I think he is the odd man out once he returns from personal leave. Kuznetsov is a solid 6'4 D former 2nd rounder. Sadly both are LHD.

Flames: they need a trigger man and a top 6 to shore up their roster. They keep losing despite outshooting their opponents. They are all in for the next 3 years and I see them in the market this TDL

21 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Does he get the Canucks a top 4 D?

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

maybe a future one with the pick/prospect. Also maybe via UFA with the cap saving. 

Yeah I think I'd gamble with Brock.  Go for a high risk high reward type return.  The savings of 6M+ in cap is the big win here.  Anything else is a bonus IMO.  We got the return we needed when Kuzmenko decided to join us.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

If he’s not performing not for very much. 

6.65M x 3 years is a commitment for a soon and most teams are up against the cap. 

He has no goals in 6 games so far and will be coming off injury. Kuzmenko seems to be doing well on PP1 so hard to see him get that spot back which means less opportunities to score while trying to get back into the swing of things. 

I don’t think he’ll have many buyers who probably are looking for something more short term, cheaper or better. 

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

He played one time, had a pretty decent showing with 11 pts in 17 games.  Can't blame him for his team not making the playoffs.  Penguins paid a 2nd, 3rd and 2 players for Richard Rakell last year with even more mediocre playoff stats.

The biggest turnoff with Brock is not his production or salary, it's the ability to remain healthy.  People here fantasized that Brock would be a 50th goal early on and are still clinging to that dream.  Easy to say his ceiling was overstated, but he's still a good hockey player that's still young, attractive with an ok salary (far from a burden), if he can show he can stay on the ice.  I can easily see a lot of suitors if healthy.

Health and consistency are his biggest issues. 

38 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah I think I'd gamble with Brock.  Go for a high risk high reward type return.  The savings of 6M+ in cap is the big win here.  Anything else is a bonus IMO.  We got the return we needed when Kuzmenko decided to join us.

it sure looks like Kuzemko is the real deal. Short sample size but he's not a kid either. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

it sure looks like Kuzemko is the real deal. Short sample size but he's not a kid either. 

He has a passion for the game, which likely translates to an internal drive to succeed.  He has a ton of skill, and his skating is superb, so it's hard to see what his ceiling is.  Wouldn't surprise me if he became a ppg player, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he's a 50pt player.  Either way, he's a Top 6 winger in my books.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

He has a passion for the game, which likely translates to an internal drive to succeed.  He has a ton of skill, and his skating is superb, so it's hard to see what his ceiling is.  Wouldn't surprise me if he became a ppg player, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he's a 50pt player.  Either way, he's a Top 6 winger in my books.

the only issue I see is our mgmt team getting off the pot and fixing the defence, starting yesterday. If we don't do that, not sure why he'd re-sign with us tbh.

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

the only issue I see is our mgmt team getting off the pot and fixing the defence, starting yesterday. If we don't do that, not sure why he'd re-sign with us tbh.

Only reason I'd see him re-signing is the clear chemistry building between him and Petey.  Brock needs to be traded to make room to upgrade the D. 

• Vintage 2