The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Head coach. Long term options

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

Boudreau's contract is up at the end of the year. He could be resigned. 

Some of the best systems coaches are available. Dave Tippet, Barry Trotz, Guy Boucher and Alain Vignault. 

Trotz would cost the most followed by AV. Tippet and Boucher would be cheaper. I want a systems coach. I want to just relax on the penalty kill. That's what you get with a systems coach when things are working. 

Who else is out there? Who would you want included in a poll?

Given our offence-heavy team, I’m inclined a think a more defensively sound coach like Trotz would bring out the best in this group. Obviously this is predicated on him coming back to coaching and wanting to come here, which isn’t a foregone conclusion. He would, however, be the most capable of turning us towards the bruins ideology of being a fast, run-and-gun yet defensively sound team.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My vote is Trotz, he has shown he can work with stars like Ovi and not kill their offence while making them a better team player. All while improving defensive habits of the overall club..,which we obviously need in a bad way.

Boucher is too run and gun.

Tippet is too defensive.

Vigneault is a good coach but probably not a good fit. Plus been there done that with him.

Trotz, fits perfectly, and has won a cup compared to his comparables. 

Boudreau will probably retire, he is just getting too old I think.

Babcock, could resurface as well but I don’t think he fits with this team.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Upvote 1

If you read into the messaging from management, it’s pretty clear they’re not all that sold on Bruce as a longterm option. 

I actually think management is really high on Jeremy Colliton and might see him as an option for promotion in a few years, if he proves himself with the AHL team.

Not sure if the team will be able to wait that long, however.

Shortterm, it’s hard to say. Maybe they extend Bruce, if he turns things around. I’m not sure what the bar will be. I could definitely see him getting fired and replaced this season, if the struggles continue. But if this team somehow turns it around and qualifies for the playoffs, I think an shortterm extension, maybe 2 years, could be in the cards.

I definitely don’t see them going longterm with Bruce.

Some of the bigger name guys out there (like a Trotz or Vigneault) might command a longterm commitment, to secure their services.

If Sam Hallam hadn’t just signed on for four years with Sweden’s national team, I’d have definitely considered him for the Canucks head coaching job. His contract with Växjö (SHL) ran out last season, and it would have been the perfect time to nab him for an NHL gig. Would’ve been a “bold move” to hire a Euro coach with no experience in North America, but I think Hallam will eventually become an NHL coach, and a very good one at that. Maybe could have done the “associate head coach” thing, with Hallam working alongside Boudreau this season, and then taking the full head coaching reins next year. Too late now, but it would have been an intriguing option.

• Like 1

I want someone who has won a Stanley Cup.  So Barry Trotz should be the overwhelming favourite.  Aquilini needs to take out the chequebook to get him signed.  Trotz will be around alot longer then JR if we sign him.  He can be our future for the next decade.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Boudreau's contract is up at the end of the year. He could be resigned. 

Some of the best systems coaches are available. Dave Tippet, Barry Trotz, Guy Boucher and Alain Vignault. 

Trotz would cost the most followed by AV. Tippet and Boucher would be cheaper. I want a systems coach. I want to just relax on the penalty kill. That's what you get with a systems coach when things are working. 

Who else is out there? Who would you want included in a poll?

If you're looking for names for a poll then perhaps the following are additional options (I am not endorsing any of them, just throwing out the names)

Mike Yeo - already with the team, probably would get zero votes from fans

Sheldon Keefe - yuk but probably available by the end of the season

Jon Cooper - Dare to dream but an early playoff exit who knows?

Claude Julien - I think he is available

Rick Tocchet - I think he is available

Joel Queneville - Do I dare add this name? Don't shoot the messenger.

Mike Babcock - fallen from grace...

Alex Burrows - sentimental favorite, possibly a similar style to BB?

Edited by GB5

6 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

What about Paul Maurice? Seems to me he is capable, just not sure he is interested in coaching again. Would he be a good fit for the Canucks?

He took over the Florida Panthers - Brunette was interim and Maurice signed with them already back in June.  Wouldn't have joined Vancouver - too much scrutiny and he didn't want that kind of market pressure.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GB5 said:

If you're looking for names for a poll then perhaps the following are additional options (I am not endorsing any of them, just throwing out the names)

Mike Yeo - already with the team, probably would get zero votes from fans

Sheldon Keefe - yuk but probably available by the end of the season

Jon Cooper - Dare to dream but an early playoff exit who knows?

Claude Julien - I think he is available

Rick Tocchet - I think he is available

Joel Queneville - Do I dare add this name? Don't shoot the messenger.

Mike Babcock - fallen from grace...

Alex Burrows - sentimental favorite, possibly a similar style to BB?

Quenville, Tocchet , Burrows is the only names I'd be interested in on that list. 

Julien is a big no. No more Bruins. 

43 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

sorry for my opinion but Marc Crawford is only an assistant in Chicago and I always like his run n gun style of hockey 

No longer with Chicago - they parted ways back in May already.

Bruce is likeable and a good coach 

id be fine seeing him return I doubt it’ll happen thou as he was a FA hire. 

I see Yeo as the next head coach which won’t change much since coaching isn’t really the problem. 
It’s Pretty obvious our roster is the problem and in need of major changes before we can expect improvements  with the on ice product. 

I don’t know if any high end coaches would want to come here it seems very messy still with a muddled picture of direction and future. Retool rebuild meddling owners ect… 

Edited by combover