The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Ottawa Senators | Nov. 08, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, lmm said:

that is almost the same D that Ottawa dressed last night

I didn’t say it was ideal, or what that says about our own D, but those 6 are the best performers on D we have right now. IMHO

But internal politics, and external optics, will never allow Bruce to ice that contingent 

3 hours ago, MikeyD said:

So your plan is to settle for paying everybody more and never winning a cup???

Why do you think we went to the cup finals in 2011? All of our core players were on great deals. 

since you are having trouble with the concept

let me tell you how negotiating does not work

You offer me $1

I ask for $10,000,000

you offer $2 ( doubling your initial offer)

I counter with $5,000,000 (halving my original offer)

you $4 (now 4 times your first salvo)

me $2,500,000 (1/4 my first)

you  $8

me $1,250,000

you $16

me $625,000

you $32

me $312,500

you $64

me $156,250

you $128

me $ 78,125

you $256

me $39,062.50

you $512

me $19,531.25

you $1,024

me $9,765.63 (I rounded up cuz I'm greedy)

you $2,048

me $4,882.82 (still rounding up cuz I'm greedy)

you $4096 

BANG we settle for $4096 (cuz I'd die if I countered my last offer)

Now I am the 2 highest goal scorer, and I am happy because we negotiated in good faith

Ya, that is not how it works

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Missed this live. Looks to me like both guys were confused.

Bad play by OEL, and for guys who have played together for over a year now I'm surprised they couldn't figure a better play out.

I think this play is the full meal deal

Misplayed by Martin

Both D

and

both forwards

THe only guy who doesn't deserve too much blame is Mikheyev

I guess if you are last man back, you don't shoulder too much blame

haha

1 hour ago, Plaguez said:

That's why we have all these assets for our last rental J.T. Miller right?  Because teams just give you a boatload for your players because you think they should.  

Percentage retained by a over the cap team that needed cap retained on a 2.2 mil player.  It didn't happen last year, it's not happening this year.  The Canucks will be lucky to get anything.  News flash, teams don't throw assets away on players they can get for free in the off season.  They give assets for controllable assets now, this isn't the 90's.

No GM is building a 1 and done anymore, they are all trying to build sustainable, competitive windows.  

Name 1 team that would trade assets to the Canucks that makes us better than we are with Bo.

I disagree. You still see it lots and we still could have retained value on Miller. Pretending he garnered nothing is asinine. He just didn't get us what the team valued him as, but it was still a good get.

Top teams give away their firsts like candy still and you can find defensive prospects for those prices. Not to mention draft picks are currency on their own. 

36 minutes ago, lmm said:

since you are having trouble with the concept

let me tell you how negotiating does not work

You offer me $1

I ask for $10,000,000

you offer $2 ( doubling your initial offer)

I counter with $5,000,000 (halving my original offer)

you $4 (now 4 times your first salvo)

me $2,500,000 (1/4 my first)

you  $8

me $1,250,000

you $16

me $625,000

you $32

me $312,500

you $64

me $156,250

you $128

me $ 78,125

you $256

me $39,062.50

you $512

me $19,531.25

you $1,024

me $9,765.63 (I rounded up cuz I'm greedy)

you $2,048

me $4,882.82 (still rounding up cuz I'm greedy)

you $4096 

BANG we settle for $4096 (cuz I'd die if I countered my last offer)

Now I am the 2 highest goal scorer, and I am happy because we negotiated in good faith

Ya, that is not how it works

Nobody claimed it was. When they started negotiation 5-something was a low-ball offer which was appropriate for a down season for Horvat. Heading into this season and halfway thru last season nobody thought Horvat was an 8 million dollar player. Most thought 7 was too rich. Chances are that offer was gonna get up to 6 something which was appropriate and fair. Being a mill off isn't horrendous and those things happen all of the time in this business, especially when the team was willing to move on from Horvat by the sounds of it. It was a "take a hometown discount if you want to stay" deal which happens all of the time. Team players like Bergeron and true team first guys take these deals. It's worth the shot and that's how you get value contracts like we had with the Sedins for years and years.

Unfortunately most players are extremely selfish now and refuse to buy into teams, but it's still worth a take to try to grab value.

Dunno why you'd go to an extreme and pretend like anybody was saying you start at minimum value and decide the top end value comes down by half. Just like shows you see like pawn stars, they way overvalue and undervalue things and meet somewhere in the middle. Horvat's camp asked for Huberdeau money off the hop which was absolutely ridiculous too considering he had shown nothing at that point to warrant a long term contract at that number either. That's how negotiations work in the NHL. The Huberdeau number was more asinine than the 5 million dollar evaluation from last season.