The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Apathy - what was your last straw?

Rate this topic

dougieL

I have been cheering for this team since the 80's.  I've seen 3 cup runs.  I've seen us just kind of course correct to what everyone else is doing so many times, and do that poorly, and then have to jump on the next trend.  The only time I thought we were bucking that was when Gillis was in charge.  And if he could have just been able to draft, I wonder if we would be talking about this now?

I'm tired of the on ice product being blamed on the fans.  It feels like a top down thing across all my entertainment options.  You don't like what is being given to you, you are the problem!!  No, I'm a passionate fan, an intelligent fan, who knows that this wasn't going to work, isn't surprised it is blowing up, tried to have faith anyways, that isn't working, am kind of pissed off by the attitude taken during this situation.  I want honesty, integrity, and a 'F&()ing' plan.  And then I want them to stick to that plan.

As for apathy, no.  I'm going to 2 games next week, and they will probably get blown out by LA and Las Vegas.  I support my team, and I'm looking forward to going to the arena, wearing the jersey, buying the too expensive food and drink, and cheering, loudly, and at times, possibly drunkenly!  But do not go out and lay this pile of dog puke at my feet and go, ta da!  Take some ownership, and start doing right by us who pay the way.

• Vintage 1

And lets get right down to it.  There are major problems going on right now.  We're soft, we're slow, we aren't aggressive, and we don't play 30 minutes, let alone 60.  The pairing of OEL and Myers needs to be shut down.  Enough.  Miller in the middle, is great when he's in one end, and should do us all a favour and go to the bench on the back check.  Scratch his ass, and put him up in the booth for 3 games.  Admit that this isn't a playoff team, isn't 'under-performing', and be honest.  This team is soft, slow, has no identity, doesn't work, doesn't hit, doesn't pk, and doesn't know whether to score or lay down on the play.  Take the hit, do the sacrifice, and start changing things.  You're going to have to eat it, and the longer you wait, the harder it is going to be.  Should have started last Trade Deadline, but nope...now we've doubled down, and they're even worse.  Oof

Edited by Solinar

1 minute ago, Solinar said:

I have been cheering for this team since the 80's.  I've seen 3 cup runs.  I've seen us just kind of course correct to what everyone else is doing so many times, and do that poorly, and then have to jump on the next trend.  The only time I thought we were bucking that was when Gillis was in charge.  And if he could have just been able to draft, I wonder if we would be talking about this now?

I'm tired of the on ice product being blamed on the fans.  It feels like a top down thing across all my entertainment options.  You don't like what is being given to you, you are the problem!!  No, I'm a passionate fan, an intelligent fan, who knows that this wasn't going to work, isn't surprised it is blowing up, tried to have faith anyways, that isn't working, am kind of pissed off by the attitude taken during this situation.  I want honesty, integrity, and a 'F&()ing' plan.  And then I want them to stick to that plan.

As for apathy, no.  I'm going to 2 games next week, and they will probably get blown out by LA and Las Vegas.  I support my team, and I'm looking forward to going to the arena, wearing the jersey, buying the too expensive food and drink, and cheering, loudly, and at times, possibly drunkenly!  But do not go out and lay this pile of dog puke at my feet and go, ta da!  Take some ownership, and start doing right by us who pay the way.

I can no longer go to the games.

I truly appreciate the people that go to games and pay the necessary to keep the team in Vancouver.

I have been around long enough to know that there are no guarantees that the team will stay when we are in the same league as American cities.

Thank you for going to the games; thanks to season ticket holders which guarantee a revenue stream (at least for the season).

Cheers Solinar!

• Thanks 2

Honestly, I felt the knife in my gut that first loss to the Oilers to start the year. Blowing a three goal lead and losing to a crap, two player team again. Just saw the same old script. Was hoping it would turn around but no, just the same old crap. I had high hopes for the season as well.  

Edited by rekker
  • Upvote 1

I feel like there's no trust in this core. With the Sedins, we knew we were building around them and trying to find the pieces to make it work, but there doesn't seem to be anything sustainable to build around here. 

I think building from the net out would have been a better idea, where it sucks to not score goals, but it's more structured and you can find someone to score easier than to find a whole team identity

When our team lost its truculence and bite.  When the shovels and axes got swapped for golf clubs and manicures.

I can cheer for this team as long as I see them trying to make a difference.  Right now Schenn is the only one doing that for me.  Right now there's too many players worrying about the pay cheques and fast cars and not enough hunger for a cup.

Time to tear it down.  I want to see a team of wrecking balls with 1-2 lines of skill.

• There it is 1

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Well, as soon as T.O. took the lead, I turned off the game. 

Management better start making the right move(s) here, sooner rather than later.

Did you feel like I did at 2 to 0? I knew it wasn't going to end well. That's just a terrible way to feel as a fan. To not have hope, it's just not a good place for a fan....

I wouldn't say I'm apathetic,  but I had a bad feeling that when they hired Linden it was essentially to curry favor to a disinterested fan-base, and when FA wouldn't listen to reason on a rebuild and forced him out,  that was my last straw in supporting ownership

• Like 2
  • There it is 1

46 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I wouldn't say I'm apathetic,  but I had a bad feeling that when they hired Linden it was essentially to curry favor to a disinterested fan-base, and when FA wouldn't listen to reason on a rebuild and forced him out,  that was my last straw in supporting ownership

Yup; and I believe we can all I agree that we all support the brand but the apathetic part, is towards the owner.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

I do care if we win a cup....I also know how tough it is to do so.

I watch the games....that's an important part of weighing in here because if it's just on in the background and you're not watching, how do you know what needs improving? To suggest we move Petey is a little short sighted for me, that's all. 

People have this illusion of a tear down/rebuild as a magical formula and it's often a painful ordeal over time. No guarantees.

Anyhow...you're entitled to your opinion but to suggest what you have while also admitting you don't really watch is a little off for me. And I remember you being a staunch supporter of JV (and not so much Bo) so I'm not going to accept that you know what's best for this team.

JV as in Jake Virtanen? You might need to read back up or have me confused with some one else, I hated the pick since he was drafted and if you look in the alumni section I don't think I've ever said a nice thing about the kid so I'm not sure where you're pulling that from?

I'd disagree moving Petey is short sighted. He's stated multiple times he wants to play for a winning team. Not everyone is as in love with Vancouver as Vancouver is with them. If he's going somewhere to win, why not get ahead of the curve rather than having your hands tied. If there's a plan that hasn't been there to win with Petey, maybe you can convince him to stay. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Zhukini said:

JV as in Jake Virtanen? You might need to read back up or have me confused with some one else, I hated the pick since he was drafted and if you look in the alumni section I don't think I've ever said a nice thing about the kid so I'm not sure where you're pulling that from?

I'd disagree moving Petey is short sighted. He's stated multiple times he wants to play for a winning team. Not everyone is as in love with Vancouver as Vancouver is with them. If he's going somewhere to win, why not get ahead of the curve rather than having your hands tied. If there's a plan that hasn't been there to win with Petey, maybe you can convince him to stay. 

The current FO, are all signed to short term deals, which only gives the leverage to (the architect of the mess) Aquaman and sadly, the current FO will eventually be used, as scape goats for failing to implement his (flawed) plans.  Hard to believe, that JR is allowing himself to be played; and ofcoures, I am just making an assumption but the actions of the current FO are all looking very familiar:  doubling on JB & Aquamans' roster.  Anyways - TRUST THE PROCESS, whatever that means.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

I don’t mind the losing.  
In fact, if that is the goal…. Bring it on.  

It’s the lack of identity. 
No actual plan in place. 
No management to make it happen 

No ownership to know they are pockets, not hockey people. 

It’s the set in feeling that we won’t be getting out of this mess.  
It just isn’t going to happen.  
This team needs to be blown up and start over, but we will never properly do it.   

Im 36.  I was born a Canucks fan, and I just don’t see how we will ever win a cup. 

I feel your pain, just a lot longer LOL. I'm 59, been a fan since inception in 1970, when I was taken to my first game at the Pacific Coliseum by my dad.

I also went to a field trip that year, while in grade 2 to see a Canucks practice, and I remember walking down a hallway and all the players were there, they were gigantic to us small tykes lol....they gave autographs to all of us; I've been massively hooked on this team ever since.

Many times, in afterthought I concluded that my teacher must've been given this opportunity by the team since she had been hit by a puck at a game, I recall she had gruesome stitches on her cheek, it was shown by her at "show and tell", a gruesome display to us young and naive 'lil classmates haha.

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

I don’t mind the losing.  
In fact, if that is the goal…. Bring it on.  

It’s the lack of identity. 
No actual plan in place. 
No management to make it happen 

No ownership to know they are pockets, not hockey people. 

It’s the set in feeling that we won’t be getting out of this mess.  
It just isn’t going to happen.  
This team needs to be blown up and start over, but we will never properly do it.   

Im 36.  I was born a Canucks fan, and I just don’t see how we will ever win a cup. 

This sums it up for me. No sense of purpose or direction. And the OEL and Miller deals make it impossible to start over. Just a huge mess, and that's what has me feeling hopeless.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Did you feel like I did at 2 to 0? I knew it wasn't going to end well. That's just a terrible way to feel as a fan. To not have hope, it's just not a good place for a fan....

Sure did. I texted my buddy about having another multiple goal lead. As soon as T.O. tied it and then took the lead, I turned it off. I can't keep watching such a potent offence to go with the worset defence I've ever seen with a team. 

• Cheers 2