The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Unpopular Take] Pettersson doesn’t have the frame to match his style of play

Rate this topic

Ted Lasso

Petey has initiated a lot of contact this year. He admires Forsberg, and you can see him modelling his game to be physical AND skilled. While he’s piling up ppg stats, his points are not game breakers. While he’s anticipating and breaking up plays on the PK, we’re still 32nd. 

At 6’2”, and 176 lbs, would he be better served to reduce the physical element of his game?

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Cheers 1

• Ted Lasso changed the title to [Unpopular Take] Pettersson doesn’t have the frame to match his style of play

It’s the beginning of him taking over the team from our pussycat captain. 
When teammates see a skilled guy there throwing hits and trying to make things happen, it inspires.  

He will fill out and keep getting bigger.  

Would he be better served to take it out of his game?  
Hell no. 
Why take the bite out of the dog?   

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Petey has initiated a lot of contact this year. He admires Forsberg, and you can see him modelling his game to be physical AND skilled. While he’s piling up ppg stats, his points are not game breakers. While he’s anticipating and breaking up plays on the PK, we’re still 32nd. 

At 6’2”, and 176 lbs, would he be better served to reduce the physical element of his game?

He is 24. He will gain some muscle mass in the next 2-3 years 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

It’s the beginning of him taking over the team from our pussycat captain. 
When teammates see a skilled guy there throwing hits and trying to make things happen, it inspires.  

He will fill out and keep getting bigger.  

Would he be better served to take it out of his game?  
Hell no. 
Why take the bite out of the dog?   

Great take - I hope you’re right.  

Meh. We’re talking about a player that has actually brought his work boots this year. I don’t care what his weight is. He’s doing the right things to be a great player which he is 

Edited by Devron
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I see what you mean but at least he tries to play a tough physical and defensive game. If half of our forwards played that way we'd be a contender. He throws his body or tries to defend the puck and often gets tossed aside but at least the will is there.

I'd like the Sedins to try and help him a bit - they were very similar in their early years and then they worked on their core and became incredibly tough to knock off pucks. Also they could teach him how to use the boards and a cycle play better. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Only thing Elias Pettersson lacks is an actual team to play with.

He's one of the only players, if the only, on this team that can play in both ends.  Essentially, he's what fans have thought Miller and Horvat were, except way under appreciated.

No, he probably won't be Scott Stevens in the physicality department, but his intelligence of the game is simply of elite quality.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, AV. said:

Only thing Elias Pettersson lacks is an actual team to play with.

He's one of the only players, if the only, on this team that can play in both ends.  Essentially, he's what fans have thought Miller and Horvat were, except way under appreciated.

No, he probably won't be Scott Stevens in the physicality department, but his intelligence of the game is simply of elite quality.

For the most part you don't need to crush a guy on the boards, just take him out of the play.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

Why would you want Petey to be less physical?  He obviously wants to be a complete player, so let him do that.  If he can get a bit heavier and be a little like Peter Forsberg then he can definitely become one of the top players in the entire NHL...

17 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think Petey is at his best when he’s playing physical. He’s more engaged and it brings out more of his competitive nature and drive. It actually seems to elevate his game as a whole. He also seems more confident and energized, when he’s hitting.

I can understand being a little worried about retaliation and possible injuries, given his slight frame. And you do hear some opposition broadcasters and fans say things like “if he wants to play that way, he should expect to pay the price.” But I actually think that when Pettersson is looking to make hits, he’s also looking to defend himself, and may be safer overall.

Stars get targeted all the time, even the Lady Byng types, and dirty plays happen often in this league. But I think when Petey plays with a physical edge, on balance, he’s actually making himself safer out there than he’s putting himself at risk.

I also think Petey is already surprisingly strong and durable, especially for his weight and slender build. And he’s going to get thicker and add more strength and muscle mass as he rounds into his mid-20s and beyond. 

Exactly.  Petey got pushed around when he was a rookie.  Guys were body slamming him to the ice.  He knows he has to get stronger and play a more in your face game to get the opposition to back off a little bit.  He's not going out there like Tom Wilson, but he is certainly more engaged this year, which I believe is helping him to be more productive and to me a more complete player, especially defensively.  I think he is captain material and will be our next captain...

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Exactly.  Petey got pushed around when he was a rookie.  Guys were body slamming him to the ice.  He knows he has to get stronger and play a more in your face game to get the opposition to back off a little bit.  He's not going out there like Tom Wilson, but he is certainly more engaged this year, which I believe is helping him to be more productive and to me a more complete player, especially defensively.  I think he is captain material and will be our next captain...

Pats-self-on-back GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why would you want Petey to be less physical?  He obviously wants to be a complete player, so let him do that.  If he can get a bit heavier and be a little like Peter Forsberg then he can definitely become one of the top players in the entire NHL...

I would love for him to be physical…just haven’t heard or seen anything about him gaining weight since his sophomore year.  Also notice him down on the ice a lot this year, and wondering if this is sustainable, or will result in more injuries / impact his offence. 

2 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

He is 24. He will gain some muscle mass in the next 2-3 years 

Completely agree. Haven't met Petey personally, so it's hard to make a firm statement. But based off what I've seen from him and how he builds muscle each summer, I would estimate his peak physically (at least in terms of mass) will be about 28. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Does his frame match his play. No. Should he change. Hell no. If he fills out or not, it's better to throw your weight around. If you're looking for hits you're a little less likely to get caught off guard with a hit. The number of times I've seen him do a reverse hit instead of getting hit. If anything he's protecting his frame.

• Upvote 1

On 11/13/2022 at 12:25 PM, Kenny Powers said:

Bambi GIFs | Tenor