The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks fan says misogyny a factor after man belittled her cheering at a game

Rate this topic

fivethej

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Did this not happen to a family member of someone on this forum??

Alcohol will always make a small % of males act like complete idiots...

If the person in question for doing this can be identified maybe the organization makes a statement and bans him from entering the arena for ANY event for life...

What?  Ban someone from entering any event because he acted like a douche and told someone to be quiet?  

You can't actually think that this would be appropriate.  

Not referring to you now Canuckster, but how soft are people these days that they can't handle a case of someone being an asshole directly and telling them to fuck off and ignoring them?  Claiming misogyny and writing a news story about this is comical.  

10 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Don't think he was being misogynistic, just an entitled #$%

I've seen these kinds of people at sporting events literally trying to shush people near them saying they're being too loud cheering. 

Even to other guys.

It's a sporting event. Not a library you clowns.

Exactly, I had a couple tell me to sit down after a goal was scored.  It was hilarious.  

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

What?  Ban someone from entering any event because he acted like a douche and told someone to be quiet?  

You can't actually think that this would be appropriate.  

Not referring to you now Canuckster, but how soft are people these days that they can't handle a case of someone being an asshole directly and telling them to fuck off and ignoring them?  Claiming misogyny and writing a news story about this is comical.  

telling someone to shut up is rude regardless if the person is male or female. The same person turning around and physically touching someone like putting his hand on her leg is INappropriate. Too bad this woman didn't have her man with her, someone does that to my woman and doesn't let go of her leg when she asks is getting a fist to the face

• Cheers 1

Seems to me this women loves attention and likely hates men… Moral of the story, there’s a lot of drunk assholes at sporting events.. should he have touched her (if he actually did) no.  This did not need to make it onto the news.

AA73AB0A-DC68-4B55-8597-CA6AA8404937.png

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, EB43 said:

Seems to me this women loves attention and likely hates men… Moral of the story, there’s a lot of drunk assholes at sporting events.. should he have touched her (if he actually did) no.  This did not need to make it onto the news.

As tough as it can be to control a crowd of drunk idiots at an event... the Canucks have tried to foster a family-friendly culture for years now.  It's important to their image and what they stand for.

The question is whether you'd feel comfortable sending your (imaginary) 17-year old daughter to a Canucks game alone versus sending your (imaginary) twin son alone.  Is one more vulnerable than the other?

18 minutes ago, You Mad Bro? said:

This women would have a complete and total meltdown if she spent two hours on a busy construction site with lots of trades all trying to do their jobs on top of each other. “Shut the f up”. That’s a soft Tuesday morning. Weak sauce lady 

Lol. So true. I'm in construction as well,  sounds like you and I speak the same language. 

6 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

telling someone to shut up is rude regardless if the person is male or female. The same person turning around and physically touching someone like putting his hand on her leg is INappropriate. Too bad this woman didn't have her man with her, someone does that to my woman and doesn't let go of her leg when she asks is getting a fist to the face

Thing is, we don't even know the whole story, or if this side of the story is even all true. Tight area between the seats and quite easy to turn around and brush someone's leg. I'm done with this story. Mad at myself for even giving it this much of my time. 

Hmmm, seems there are two sides to this.

First for me is.....yes. As women if men bully us it can be quite intimidating and scary. I had an incident involving a very confrontational security guard (who got canned for his actions). Rattled me, to the point that I left the game in tears and swore I'd never return. I've told the story before. The team did make it right but I was nervous about coming back because I walk to/from the games alone and as a female had never felt anything but safe...the rink had been "home" to me but suddenly felt quite different. It changed the whole experience because that walk had been part of my overall happiness in attending and now was me looking over my shoulder.

(Factor in my own personal history of trauma and it really does cut deep to be accosted by a stranger like that).

With that, this girl also didn't seem to read the room or care about others' game experience, which is also important. Not saying it was her fault that he reacted badly though....he owns that. And it's inappropriate to lash out that way...rarely does it get you a desired result, usually the opposite.

I take my little rinky dink cowbell but am well aware it could be annoying to others. I ALWAYS tell everyone around me that if it's bothering them to let me know and I'll lay off (unless of course they're from the opposing team). ;)   I joke that they can give me a good hockey elbow. Lightens the mood and people are generally there to enjoy themselves so it's all about the approach. On all sides. Our experience shouldn't really ruin others' experience and so a sense of entitlement doesn't really work in a hockey rink filled with people. 

While this guy reportedly acted inappropriately and quite aggressively, she didn't sound to be diffusing the situation as much as running with it.

We can't exploit incidents because they make good stories. Just because we have a platform to be heard doesn't mean we get to use it as an advantage in situations. The number one thing is to try to get along...and yes, some people chatter and squeal throughout the game and it can be distracting and annoying. Everyone has a right to enjoy the game and if it's over the top and persistent, that isn't always fair or considerate. Moments? Sure. Sustained throughout the game? A little much.

This guy putting his hands on her was NOT ok....at this point, alert security to tell her and her friends to pipe down a bit. Scaring her into it wasn't the best way to address things. I imagine there's a fair bit of frustration in the crowd at times but some just go to the game to have a good time so that's their right to do so.

I feel that both sides likely handled this poorly and it was nothing blown into something from all accounts. I mean, this girl has said the guy could stay home if he wanted to concentrate on the game but, by the same token, if you don't want to hear profanities at a hockey game the same applies.

We can be strong women and also be considerate of others. Matters.

And men...don't use intimidation to make a point with girls/ladies. It's rarely worked out well. Try being polite and you'll likely get a much better response.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

9 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Hmmm, seems there are two sides to this.

First for me is.....yes. As women if men bully us it can be quite intimidating and scary. I had an incident involving a very confrontational security guard (who got canned for his actions). Rattled me, to the point that I left the game in tears and swore I'd never return. I've told the story before. The team did make it right but I was nervous about coming back because I walk to/from the games alone and as a female had never felt anything but safe...the rink had been "home" to me but suddenly felt quite different. It changed the whole experience because that walk had been part of my overall happiness in attending and now was me looking over my shoulder.

(Factor in my own personal history of trauma and it really does cut deep to be accosted by a stranger like that).

With that, this girl didn't seem to read the room or care about others' game experience, which is also important.

I take my little rinky dink cowbell but am well aware it could be annoying to others. I ALWAYS tell everyone around me that if it's bothering them to let me know and I'll lay off (unless of course they're from the opposing team). ;)   I joke that they can give me a good hockey elbow. Lightens the mood and people are generally there to enjoy themselves so it's all about the approach. On all sides. Our experience shouldn't really ruin others' experience and so a sense of entitlement doesn't really work in a hockey rink filled with people. 

While this guy reportedly acted inappropriately and quite aggressively, she didn't sound to want to diffuse the situation as much as run with it.

We can't exploit incidents because they make good stories. Just because we have a platform to be heard doesn't mean we get to use it as an advantage in situations. The number one thing is to try to get along...and yes, some people chatter and squeal throughout the game and it can be distracting and annoying. Everyone has a right to enjoy the game and if it's over the top and persistent, that isn't always fair or considerate. Moments? Sure. Sustained throughout the game? A little much.

This guy putting his hands on her was NOT ok....at this point, alert security to tell her and her friends to pipe down a bit. Scaring her into it wasn't the best way to address things. I imagine there's a fair bit of frustration in the crowd at times but some just go to the game to have a good time so that's their right to do so.

I feel that both sides likely handled this poorly and it was nothing blown into something from all accounts. I mean, this girl has said the guy could stay home if he wanted to concentrate on the game but, by the same token, if you don't want to hear profanities a hockey game maybe isn't the place to avoid them. Happens.

It's his putting his hand on her thats the problem I have, buddy should get banned for doing that there's no justification for that. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, EB43 said:

AA73AB0A-DC68-4B55-8597-CA6AA8404937.png

"Inherit need". If you're going to make strong statements to the world make sure you understand the grammar you're using.

Anyhow, a little cheeky. It's one thing to defend your stance, it's another to use the "your feelings were never validated as a child" and other insults while trying to do so. Not sure if all this is necessary or helpful. Social media at its finest. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Exactly, I had a couple tell me to sit down after a goal was scored.  It was hilarious.  

A group of friends and I were given dirty looks, told to be quiet, and had arena security sent to us for cheering at a rock concert in Rogers arena. The offended couple were sitting in front of us, quietly, with their hands on their laps...

Weirdest thing ever :lol:

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Me too lol.

In a shootout where we were several shooters in....everyone was standing. Seemingly except the people behind us who were yelling "SIT DOWN" at my son and I. He did....I told him to stand back up and enjoy the moment. (When I turned and looked they were wearing the other team's jerseys....HELL NO).  I mean, let's be reasonable here.

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

A group of friends and I were given dirty looks, told to be quiet, and had arena security sent to us for cheering at a rock concert in Rogers arena. The offended couple were sitting in front of us, quietly, with their hands on their laps...

Weirdest thing ever :lol:

the offended couple thought they were sittin in a church, apparently.

• Cheers 1