The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposals] Some ideas to balance the roster

Been thinking, and it won't be a popular opinion, but the Canucks young players aren't that good. 

Pettersson

Podkolzin

Hoglander

Rathbone

I could also add Hughes, because he makes a lot of bad mistakes playing defense, but I'll give him the edge, because of his elite skating. He's a keeper and just needs a solid D partner who has his back. I like Schenn, but he's not a top pairing Dman.

The Canucks also have very few promising prospects. So, what does the future hold?  More spinning wheels waiting for Hoglander to figure it out? More waiting for Petey to stop falling down and losing the puck? 

IMO, everyone not names Quinn Hughes should be on the table. Canucks needs some real studs coming up the ranks, working to earn their spot on the team. 

• Like 1

The Miller deal would probably have to be contingent on their being sure Backstrom isn't coming back but I'd do it 

Boeser to Buffalo is interesting but I question whether he'd return two 2nd's, he might 

Not sure Philly wants to move Laughton 

Would rather hold onto Myers and Pearson, try to pump their value up a bit, and try and retain 50% of both at the deadline

Would be better than giving up yet another 2nd, and I'm sure someone would take Myers on at 3M 

• Thanks 1

I keep seeing these Miller proposals…folks that yellow brick road avenue is closed now. For starters, good luck convincing anybody to take on an 8 year contract. Excluding sign and trade deals, the only example I can think of a person being moved before a long extension kicked in was Jeff Carter from Columbus to LA, and he didn’t even sign his extension with Columbus and it was well documented he was unhappy in Columbus before the move. And when they eventually did make the move, they got fleeced.

The other issue is team and franchise reputation will take a hit if management signs a player to a long term extension, then immediately flip him before it kicks in. Good luck convincing any B level and above free agent to sign here after openly showing dysfunction.

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I also think that if that's all it took to retain Bo there's a chance it'd be done by now 

I think we could have signed him to that in the summer, before we offered him $5 and gave JT $8 and he’s been out performing JT by a landslide. 

6 hours ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

I keep seeing these Miller proposals…folks that yellow brick road avenue is closed now. For starters, good luck convincing anybody to take on an 8 year contract. Excluding sign and trade deals, the only example I can think of a person being moved before a long extension kicked in was Jeff Carter from Columbus to LA, and he didn’t even sign his extension with Columbus and it was well documented he was unhappy in Columbus before the move. And when they eventually did make the move, they got fleeced.

The other issue is team and franchise reputation will take a hit if management signs a player to a long term extension, then immediately flip him before it kicks in. Good luck convincing any B level and above free agent to sign here after openly showing dysfunction.

I think that depends on which direction the Canucks decide to go in, what Miller wants, and what Miller publicly expresses. The optics don't look good, but realistically Miller didn't sign on to lose either. Could be that moving him could be best for both him and the Canucks, and I think a trade would have to involve some input on his part as far as landing spots he'd be okay with being moved to go. 

Because of the extension in place it'd probably be best to approach it as if he's got a trade clause. But if he's not opposed to being moved, the Canucks can find a more competitive landing spot for him, and it actually works out for both sides I could see that mitigating some of the poor optics. It'd be making the best of a poor situation, and give both sides an out, particularly if the Canucks lean into a rebuild and change direction.

I think there are paths to a Miller trade, and I don't think trading him necessarily has to be a black mark. But I do think they'd need to work with him on it. He's a competitive guy who clearly hates losing, maybe we can send him somewhere he'd win more that would work for him and his family. He gets his money either way.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Nope wrong as Miller wants to win so signing him then trading him would not look bad at all. 

A team like Boston or DRW, NJD all should want a player like him even NYI or NYR.

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Would rather hold onto Myers and Pearson, try to pump their value up a bit, and try and retain 50% of both at the deadline

Would be better than giving up yet another 2nd, and I'm sure someone would take Myers on at 3M 

If we are holding onto Myers and Pearson until next season's TDL (which is the only time I think they will return picks as rentals) then you may as well write off next season too as they are taking up more than $9m in cap space. And then you may as well write off resigning Petey imo.

I think a team with a heap of cap space (such as CHI) would quite willingly take on Myers at $3-4m cap hit ($500-700k actual cash to pay) with the sole intention of trading him with another 50% retained and netting a 1st or 2nd round pick.

The 2nd round pick we pay in my proposal is primarily the cost of getting Murphy.

11 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I also think that if that's all it took to retain Bo there's a chance it'd be done by now 

People said the same about Miller and how long it took to agree his deal. I am sure i have read that Horvat's camp was asking for $7.75m long term, so I don't think $7.5m is unrealistic for Horvat.