The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Real cap dumps for?

LTC123

Teams won't take on OEL, Myers, or Miller for a handshake:  they'll want something of value. 

What would let's say:

Myers + EP = ?

OEL + Hughes =?

Miller + Garland/Podz/Kuz= ?

Team takes on a bad contract but gets a star player.  Van gives up no picks.  Value?  Thoughts?

• -DLC- changed the title to [Discussion] Real cap dumps for?

What's the point of having cap space if you have no players on the team?  

Those bad contracts will eventually expire.  Part of rebuilding is collecting draft picks and waiting it out.  Not gonna happen overnight.  We need to trade our top assets for picks and prospects and then go from there.  Horvat is the #1 trade asset we have.  Schenn would be #2.  Dermott may get us a pick if he ever comes back.  Miller was a trade asset, but not anymore.  So he may need to stay through the rebuild.  OEL we can either wait 4 more years or buy him out.  Myers and Pearson will have value as rentals at the 2024 TDL so that is when you move them. 

Poolman may need to just stay on LTIR for 3 more years.  Or his contract can be moved to acquire a roster player.  Not sure what to do with Boeser and Garland.  Hopefully they have positive trade value in the summer and we can get at least a pick for them.

Under no circumstances should we be trading any more draft picks or any young players or prospects for any immediate help.  If JR does this one more time, I hope he has the balls to just resign and let someone else take over who can take us through a proper rebuild.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If those deals went down, we are in SERIOUS rebuild mode.  Retain cap or take back bad salaries with top tier prospects and picks.

I mean the cap constraints of other teams. No contender is in a place to take on $10M plus in salaries even with some reciprocal cap dumps. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

If those deals went down, we are in SERIOUS rebuild mode.  Retain cap or take back bad salaries with top tier prospects and picks.

Cap retention of any long term contract is unacceptable and any GM who even considers it needs to be fired on the spot.  Look at the damage Gillis and Benning did.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Cap retention of any long term contract is unacceptable and any GM who even considers it needs to be fired on the spot.  Look at the damage Gillis and Benning did.

I couldn't care less if we're entering into a major rebuild mode where we won't be competitive again for 7 years.  So what if retain on a contract for 3 or 4 years if it means the difference between an A+ prospect and a B prospect?  I'd be happy to retain some (as ARZ does frequently) to make a deal work to acquire top 10 draft picks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I couldn't care less if we're entering into a major rebuild mode where we won't be competitive again for 7 years.  So what if retain on a contract for 3 or 4 years if it means the difference between an A+ prospect and a B prospect?  I'd be happy to retain some (as ARZ does frequently) to make a deal work to acquire top 10 draft picks.

We still want the space to possibly weaponize cap, or if guys develop quickly.  One year is fine, but you can't undo the damage caused by longer.  There's no situation where it's excusable to handicap the franchise long-term with dead cap. Any GM who does this is an absolute moron and has no business working in an NHL office in any capacity.

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

Not if we take a bad contract back and make it worth their wild.

So we trade EP to get rid of a bad contract, retain and take back a bad contract. Not seeing this helping to get rid of Myers who has less than 2 years left. 
there is no calculation that this puts us ahead. What is a contender offering their firsts aren’t very good relative to EP and a short term bad contract. 
We are doing the essential bit now loosing at an incredible rate in a year with a deep draft. Now adding draft capital would be great but using our best players to sweeten the pot on cap dumps doesn’t get us better.

Edited by DrJockitch

21 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

So we trade EP to get rid of a bad contract, retain and take back a bad contract. Not seeing this helping to get rid of Myers who has less than 2 years left. 
there is no calculation that this puts us ahead. What is a contender offering their firsts aren’t very good relative to EP and a short term bad contract. 
We are doing the essential bit now loosing at an incredible rate in a year with a deep draft. Now adding draft capital would be great but using our best players to sweeten the pot on cap dumps doesn’t get us better.

Well Myers is one of our best d men,look at his plus minus and tell me no team wants him.  

Others teams will want.I would trade players that are younger to a team like nyd or the sens who could give us two to three solid prospects with their 1st which would be around 20 the. 

The older players like Miller and Bo to trade to top teams so everyone is happy and we would be miles ahead of now.  

Do not understand how you think we would be worse off.

On 11/14/2022 at 10:19 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

What's the point of having cap space if you have no players on the team?  

Those bad contracts will eventually expire.  Part of rebuilding is collecting draft picks and waiting it out.  Not gonna happen overnight.  We need to trade our top assets for picks and prospects and then go from there.  Horvat is the #1 trade asset we have.  Schenn would be #2.  Dermott may get us a pick if he ever comes back.  Miller was a trade asset, but not anymore.  So he may need to stay through the rebuild.  OEL we can either wait 4 more years or buy him out.  Myers and Pearson will have value as rentals at the 2024 TDL so that is when you move them. 

Poolman may need to just stay on LTIR for 3 more years.  Or his contract can be moved to acquire a roster player.  Not sure what to do with Boeser and Garland.  Hopefully they have positive trade value in the summer and we can get at least a pick for them.

Under no circumstances should we be trading any more draft picks or any young players or prospects for any immediate help.  If JR does this one more time, I hope he has the balls to just resign and let someone else take over who can take us through a proper rebuild.

I think JR, and other gm's, was just salivating at us trading picks for players. Now that he's here he is realizing it ain't as easy as everybody thinks. 

• Upvote 1