The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins' legacy post-2015

Rate this topic

dougieL

1 hour ago, dougieL said:

Obviously the Sedins didn't make the final decision, but they sold OEL hard in the media after the trade, and according to Benning, sold him hard before the trade. That was evidently horrible advice - that's all I'm saying. And most people knew right when the trade was made that it was a horrible trade. And yet the Sedins managed not to see (or refused to see) what most average fans saw. I don't think it's wrong to point that out.

And I don't know how anyone thinks OEL was "great" last year. He was fine, and certainly better than the previous couple of years in ARZ. That doesn't mean he was great. This year he's been pretty bad (along with many other players). I still don't understand what he was thinking on the Matthews PPG.

Obviously the Sedins were a bit biased with a pal like OEL.

So why did Benning bother? 
It’s all on Benning especially since the better trade a year before didn’t materalise.

34 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Obviously the Sedins were a bit biased with a pal like OEL.

So why did Benning bother? 
It’s all on Benning especially since the better trade a year before didn’t materalise.

That they were biased because OEL was their friend is a terrible excuse. If that were actually true, it would be beyond unacceptable.

6 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Yeah, Benning was a weasel and so insecure as a boss so he had to go other people and let them decide what players he would sign and then put the blame on them.

Good riddance.

He even let Inge Hammarström decide for him to sign Dahlen, ouch. 

Come off it man... not Dahlen again...

He didn't have the balls to fight his corner... Lay off it..

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Come off it man... not Dahlen again...

He didn't have the balls to fight his corner... Lay off it..

Ehh, what are you talking about? 
I didn’t talk anything about Dahlen should be a Canuck.

He shouldn’t… 

52 minutes ago, dougieL said:

That they were biased because OEL was their friend is a terrible excuse. If that were actually true, it would be beyond unacceptable.

Yes, Benning was really terrible there.

15 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Ehh, what are you talking about? 
I didn’t talk anything about Dahlen should be a Canuck.

He shouldn’t… 

Yes, Benning was really terrible there.

I like to think the Sedins are far too professional to let bias influence their advice. I just think they made a huge mistake in their evaluation. The fact that you think they were biased, and that it was okay, is a quite strange.

Imo, their biggest legacy, is the current culture and we all know what Marchand, thinks about it.  I agree, with JR on his take about the country club or entitled culture, that is hurting the team.

Plus, OEL is just an extension of another "close" friend, that was signed cause of them.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

4 hours ago, dougieL said:

I like to think the Sedins are far too professional to let bias influence their advice. I just think they made a huge mistake in their evaluation. The fact that you think they were biased, and that it was okay, is a quite strange.

The problem here is that Benning is the one who should have been proffessional, both experianced scout and GM.

The Sedins have never had that responsibility Benning had so it’s very strange to blame the Sedins for bias or mistake in evaluation.

Why did Benning want to have two first PP LD players on the team?

Stop here and think for a while… Why!?

And for that cap!?! 

On 11/15/2022 at 3:39 AM, dougieL said:

The Sedins were also fiends with Edler. And Benning sent him packing.

Benning was targeting OEL in a trade. Benning asked what the Sedins thought of OEL. They gave their input. Nothing more than this. 

What a dumb salty thread 

10 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Imo, their biggest legacy, is the current culture and we all know what Marchand, thinks about it.  I agree, with JR on his take about the country club or entitled culture, that is hurting the team.

Plus, OEL is just an extension of another "close" friend, that was signed cause of them.  

Gotta laugh at all the boomer cliches being leveled at the team. They are trying hard enough. Sure. Country club bro. Let's get Keenan and Torts back in here to change that. Since it worked so well. 

Benning targeted OEL first. And then the Sedins were asked to give input 

Strange thread. The Twins were never going anywhere. Linden may have said they couldn't strip it down, yet they were adding young players to the team/organization throughout those years.

The problem is they didn't retool earlier when the Sedins could've passed the culture on to younger players ala what's happened in Boston.

By the time the cycle forced them into it Horvat was the only decent young player they had in a position to learn (Markstrom aside) 

6 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

The Sedins were also fiends with Edler. And Benning sent him packing.

Benning was targeting OEL in a trade. Benning asked what the Sedins thought of OEL. They gave their input. Nothing more than this. 

What a dumb salty thread 

Uuuhh Edler wanted to leave. And that happened before the Sedins were hired :picard:

Yes, my point is their input was incredibly wrong, and worse than input most fans could have given.

The original post was literally a statement of facts. There was no opinion in the original post. It, by definition, cannot be salty. If you think it's dumb, that's your right. But I think those facts need to be recalled, given the franchise's trajectory over the past 7-8 years.

7 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Gotta laugh at all the boomer cliches being leveled at the team. They are trying hard enough. Sure. Country club bro. Let's get Keenan and Torts back in here to change that. Since it worked so well. 

Benning targeted OEL first. And then the Sedins were asked to give input 

Keenan and Tort were successful somewhere else, but in this city and with Sedin led core, Torts had no chance of succeeding.  As for Keenan I can agree.  Just like with their pal LE, the Sedins were still consulted during JBs' courtship of OEL.   

Anyways, the result is the result: the team is capped out and it STILL sucks.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Unfortunately, this was the peak of their legacy.  
Marchand making Sedin look like a punk, and Sedin crying to the ref. 

If Daniel was to stop looking at the ref and punch the rats lights out, it could have turned around the series.  

The whole team played like a bunch of chumps because their leaders thought turning the other cheek and getting them on the PP was a real thing. 

Two of the greatest ever, but damn.  
They set the tone years ago and to this day, we are the biggest sissy team.  

2AC80AE1-DF70-4FF1-813F-C34233203840.jpeg

Love our Twins.  Two of the mentally toughest guys to ever lace ‘em up.  Don ?Cherry said the toughest guys were the ones who had the pack a lot and knowing they were going to take a beating still made plays to help their club.  He said his toughest player was Jean Ratelle, who played a very similar game to our Twins.  Only a person who never played the game would think our Twins weren’t tough.  It’s actually imbecilic to think the Twins weren’t tough.