The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Demko to Buffalo

Buffalo looks like a team that could be taking meaningful steps forward sooner that later, unlike the team we root for. They're scoring goals but they don't exactly have stability in net, they've gotta try and be actually competitive eventually. I'm not gonna propose we trade Demko for x, I'm just going to point out what Buffalo could potentially give us and why they might consider it.

As of today they have Eric Comrie signed for this year and next and a Craig Anderson who loves playing NHL hockey too much to retire until he absolutely has to signed til the end of the season. Not exactly fantastic. 

Buffalo has the most open cap space in the league so realistically the only cap we'd have to take back would be one of their tenders. If that, we could always run in-house options. They've also got several picks and prospects they may be willing to part with. 

They've got their picks mostly intact for the next three years so I reckon we could probably at least get a 1st from them. They've also got 2nd round picks this year belonging to Vegas, Philly, and of course their own. You ain't getting Power but they do have other prospects of note. Maybe they part with a Krebs or Cozens. 

Then they've got players like Ostlund (16OA 2022), Kulich (28OA 2022), Savoie (9OA 2022), Rosen (14OA 2021), and Johnson (31OA 2019). I'm probably missing someone somewhere but whatever. 

Point is, they've got a whack of picks, prospects, and some young NHL players who are actually producing reasonably thus far this season. And given we're probably not a playoff team any time soon, let alone a contender, Demko should probably be a player we're taking calls on. He's better than he's shown and most of us know it, I'm sure other teams around the league likely know it and I wouldn't be shocked if we've had calls on him. He'd be tough to replace but if we trend towards rebuild territory it won't matter imo, the idea is to embrace being bad. 

I'm not exactly sure what I'd want from Buffalo but they could certainly use a tender. 

Edited by Coconuts

3 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

At this point a 3rd is the best we might get or 2nd if we trade them Demko and a 4th

We know Demko has struggled but he's also being scapegoated to a degree around here, his play is also indicative of the team in front of him and we've been pretty garbage this season. I'm pretty confident he can find his game, and that he'd possibly do that somewhere else. 

He hasn't been good this season but we've been pretty garbage as a whole with the exception of a few players who've consistently shown up.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I'm not gonna buy any take that implies he's suddenly almost worthless, not given how the season has gone and how this roster has performed. 

No team is going to want him until he proves that the injury/surgery is not the reason for decline in his performance.

image.png

Comrie and Anderson are just keeping the crease warm for Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen. The Sabres expect him to step into that role soon.

Now, they could consider it if they don't think he's quite ready, but feel the rest of the team is and goaltending is holding them back.  But I don't see that just yet.

Cozens to them isn't a 'prospect of note', he's a key part of their future. 

In theory if they wanted Demko now, I'd want Luukkonen as part of the return, and as high a pick as they'll part with. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kuzy said:

I agree we should be fielding calls on Demko. I'd be asking for Ostlund/Kulich and an unprotected 2023 1st rounder, minimum.

Some might argue we're selling low, but I'm not saying we have to trade him as of tomorrow. If this team continues to stumble it's only a matter of time before Martin begins have stinkers too. I'd take calls.

6 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Demko + Horvat to NJD for Nemec, Seamus Casey, one of NJs goalies (both kinda suck), Mercer, tbh this makes NJD a contender for sure for years to come.

I'd love Nemec, I'm curious as to whether they'd want Horvat. Maybe. I could see Demko playing well behind that defense.

5 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

No team is going to want him until he proves that the injury/surgery is not the reason for decline in his performance.

image.png

I'm not so sure, but perhaps. If I were another team I'd take a goaltender who looked all-world last season playing like ass behind a roster that's been as historically bad as ours has been with a bit of salt. This probably wouldn't be an as of tomorrow trade anyway, we could see his numbers improve. 

5 minutes ago, canuck2xtreme said:

Comrie and Anderson are just keeping the crease warm for Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen. The Sabres expect him to step into that role soon.

Now, they could consider it if they don't think he's quite ready, but feel the rest of the team is and goaltending is holding them back.  But I don't see that just yet.

Cozens to them isn't a 'prospect of note', he's a key part of their future. 

In theory if they wanted Demko now, I'd want Luukkonen as part of the return, and as high a pick as they'll part with. 

Luukkonen ain't getting any younger he'll be 24 in March. Maybe he shows something, maybe he doesn't. I could see them having interest, it's not as if Demko's locked down for 8 years. 

I enjoy reading all the trade proposal threads as much as anyone  and agree the team needs a major shakeup, but trading everyone on the roster would be pretty difficult to do even if they wanted too.

I would keep Petey, Hughes, Horvat and Demko off the table and take offers on everyone else, with even a modest return on those players I think they could be a playoff team but maybe I'm the only one left who thinks that! :lol:

Thanks for the proposals Coconuts and keep them coming, heres to stocking up high draft picks and doing this turnaround in a single season

• Cheers 2

I'd rather build around him, even if we full rebuild we might be able to start peaking again when Demko hits 30 and a lot of goalies only really truly peak around then. I know we're seeing a lot of young goalies lately do well in the playoffs but usually it takes them a lot longer to hit their primes than forwards. Also we're seeing a lot more 30+ year old guys have career years, and who knows how the offence and defence in the NHL will look in 5 years time.

I know he's sucked this year but he's the most promising young goalie we've had for a while so I'd rather keep him and let Ian work magic with him over a longer period of time and then let him and Silovs battle it out to see who deserves to start in 5 years time.

5 hours ago, Kuzy said:

I agree we should be fielding calls on Demko. I'd be asking for Ostlund/Kulich and an unprotected 2023 1st rounder, minimum.

As much as I like Demko, i doubt anyone would sacrifice that for a goalie that lets 3+ goals in a game...

I would lose my mind if we offered a unprotected 1st rounder + Lettermaki for a mid age struggling goalie, especially this year. 

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

As much as I like Demko, i doubt anyone would sacrifice that for a goalie that lets 3+ goals in a game...

I would lose my mind if we offered a unprotected 1st rounder + Lettermaki for a mid age struggling goalie, especially this year. 

Yes, like 13 bad games or something makes him a bad "middle-aged" goalie.

ok

• Vintage 1