Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] Vancouver and Columbus in trade talks


Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Please, Miller not Bo. 

Their GM is in some trouble now, this is the tightest CBJ has ever been to the cap and one of the worst starts they've ever had.

 

They have less than $3 million in cap space and could not take Miller without shedding serious cap coming back which would defeat the purpose as we also can not take the cap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think there is a fit here to be made.

A lot of people are talking Jiricek, Mateychuk, Johnson, etc.  It would be nice, but likely not anything with those names unless it's something bigger.

Prospects like Christiansen, Dumais, Del Bel Belluz, Svozil, etc could be on the table, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

There’s no way they do that 

With their current cap issues and their awful start to the season they have the current assets to facilitate just that,  Jiricek might be a stretch but they'll never give up sillinger, a local boy.  They need to shed cap like voracek.  that leaves them very little wiggle room.

 

Miller is a non starter due to cap issues.  They can't win faceoffs meaning Horvat is the most logical option.  Johnson is/would be redundant and obviously a solid pick up for Vancouver due to the local boy flavour.  Jiricek is a year or two away but Kekkalainen is on the hot seat and rumoured to be at risk of unemployment.  GMs in danger due crazy things like trade expiring contracts and top 10 picks for aging defensemen.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Their GM is in some trouble now, this is the tightest CBJ has ever been to the cap and one of the worst starts they've ever had.

 

They have less than $3 million in cap space and could not take Miller without shedding serious cap coming back which would defeat the purpose as we also can not take the cap.

Bo won’t be better as far as cap costs starting next year. Going to have to be a dollar on dollar out deal if anything goes down as both teams close to cap. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'll revisit my posting from yesterday. 

 

Columbus is interesting in that the guys folks envision as their future top six center's are extremely young. Sillinger may very well be the future, same with Johnson, but they don't look ready for top six play just yet. Hell, Boone Jenner is their top center this season. I've argued they could definitely use a Horvat, or even a Miller. 

 

Something around Voracek+ for Miller+another cap hit to equal Voracek's. Or something along the lines of Horvat for Nyquist+ as they're both on expiring deals. Columbus is tricky though because they already have few significant cap hits, one of which is Voracek's 8.25M over this season and the next.

 

I think any Miller or Horvat deal would have to involve taking Voracek back to make either of their extensions fit. 

 

So let's say Horvat (5.5M) and Pearson (2.75M after we retain 500k) which adds up to 8.25M for Voracek's 8.25M+Jiricek maybe a protected 1st+. Columbus would also be paying us to take on Voracek's deal for this season and next to facilitate an upgrade at center. Then they'd have Horvat, Jenner, and Sillinger down the middle. They'd have to figure out the rest of their cap but both Nyquist (5.5M) and Gakrikov (2.8M) coming off the books gives them a little bit of wiggle room. 

 

What else would we get back on top of Jiricek and a 1st within the next three years? That's where it gets interesting. Obviously Columbus could throw in other picks, but they've got some fantastic prospects. 

 

Other prospects of note are Johnson, Cuelemans (25OA RD), and Mateychuk (12OA 2022 LD) but I think Columbus would balk at giving up more top D prospects on top of Jiricek. Mind you you might be able to work out something around Johnson (5OA 2021 center/wing), a 2nd, and one of those other two D prospects. Del Bel Belluz (center, 2nd round pick 2022) is also interesting. 

 

Depends on how high Columbus is on Jiricek, but there's certainly pieces to work around. A package involving Johnson and Cuelemans would certainly have my attention, though obviously Jiricek is a premium RD prospect as well. 

Kent Johnson would look great on Bedard's wing.  And Jiricek would be the long term partner for Hughes...

  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Horvat and a + for Jiricek and Johnson

I'd be over the moon with that return, but will we even ask for that?  We are looking for guys who fit into the direction given by our owner, right?  So wouldn't be more looking for guys who are older and already at their ceilings?  Love to change the direction to one that's rebuilding, like suggested, but I just don't see our owner allowing a Bo trade that returns only futures.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh boy, people here will be disappointed if the expectation is Jonhson or Jiricek (worst if you're expecting both!).  I love Horvat and we should expect a good return, but Columbus is dead last, they aren't trading their last 2021 #5 overall who's already contributing or their 2022 #6 overall, that's Madness.  Even if they are eyeing Horvat not necessarily to save their season but long term, they need Johnson and Jiricek to support Gaudreau and Horvat.

 

So, lower your expectations or the most likely scenario is they are not talking about Horvat

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

They made a huge investment with little Johnny.  I am sure they need to surround him with more talent.  I don't think they are going to rebuild now...

They good a have prospect pool already and are probably gonna draft top 10 this year and have 6 picks in the first 4 rounds. 
 

They signed JG long-term so they have time to form a team. 
 

Unsure why they wouldn’t. Horvat or Miller won’t fix things.

 

If there’s a deal I worry it might not be one we like. We probably aren’t getting their top prospects. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Kent Johnson would look great on Bedard's wing.  And Jiricek would be the long term partner for Hughes...

I think there's definitely a trade to be had but I'm pretty convinced it'd involve us eating Voracek's cap hit for this season and next, which I'd be totally fine with. It immediately makes CBJ more competitive going forward, insulates one of Johnson/Sillinger and gives them time to develop and grow, and gives them something useful instead of an 8.25M anchor. 

 

Miller's already locked in, a Horvat extension would be the key to making a Horvat trade work. 

  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

With their current cap issues and their awful start to the season they have the current assets to facilitate just that,  Jiricek might be a stretch but they'll never give up sillinger, a local boy.  They need to shed cap like voracek.  that leaves them very little wiggle room.

 

Miller is a non starter due to cap issues.  They can't win faceoffs meaning Horvat is the most logical option.  Johnson is/would be redundant and obviously a solid pick up for Vancouver due to the local boy flavour.  Jiricek is a year or two away but Kekkalainen is on the hot seat and rumoured to be at risk of unemployment.  GMs in danger due crazy things like trade expiring contracts and top 10 picks for aging defensemen.

 

benning3.gif

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They made a huge investment with little Johnny.  I am sure they need to surround him with more talent.  I don't think they are going to rebuild now...

They made that investment for 7 years.  Yes Johnny's prime is now, but they are dead last, they can't go all in in that position.  Realistically, their target is more like year 2-3-4 of Johnny's contract, which Johnson and Jiricek will be more valuable than Horvat then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They good a have prospect pool already and are probably gonna draft top 10 this year and have 6 picks in the first 4 rounds. 
 

They signed JG long-term so they have time to form a team. 
 

Unsure why they wouldn’t. Horvat or Miller won’t fix things.

 

If there’s a deal I worry it might not be one we like. We probably aren’t getting their top prospects. 

Horvat would fix alot of their problems.  Goal scoring, faceoffs, centre depth.  And he's only 28 next year so he's even younger than Gaudreau.  I think their GM is on the hot seat.  Desperate GM's do desperate things.  We should know that here in Vancouver...

  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think there's definitely a trade to be had but I'm pretty convinced it'd involve us eating Voracek's cap hit for this season and next, which I'd be totally fine with. It immediately makes CBJ more competitive going forward, insulates one of Johnson/Sillinger and gives them time to develop and grow, and gives them something useful instead of an 8.25M anchor. 

 

Miller's already locked in, a Horvat extension would be the key to making a Horvat trade work. 

We can totally take on Voracek's contract.  Just have to eliminate some dead weight, Pearson. Boeser and Garland...

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...