The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] Vancouver and Columbus in trade talks

9 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Because Jarmo is desperate. He broke the bank going after Johnny Hockey, re-signing Laine and then made ERIC GUDBRANSON the 2nd highest paid Dman on the team :picard:. He is desperate for a top line center because Jenner has never been one despite having to fill that role and its going to take a couple more years before Johnson or Sillinger can fill that role. 

Offer them JT and TP for Jiricek, Lotto protected 1st and Voracek. But be willing to take Ceulemans and a 2nd if they won't budge on Jiricek.

They are in no different position then us; when a team is drowning, every other team should be offering to throw them an anchor not a life preserver.

Still though they should probably think beyond this season with any moves they make. They are less likely to make the playoffs then us. 

I would think Johnson/Sillinger/Jiricek/Mateychuk are all off-limits. They've had two top 12 draft picks in each of the last two drafts(5th overall, 6th overall, 12 overall, 12th overall). Those 4 are probably the core they begin to build around. 

I could see Miller for Voracek+ but not anything of high significance.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Still though they should probably think beyond this season with any moves they make. They are less likely to make the playoffs then us. 

I would think Johnson/Sillinger/Jiricek/Mateychuk are all off-limits. They've had two top 12 draft picks in each of the last two drafts(5th overall, 6th overall, 12 overall, 12th overall). Those 4 are probably the core they begin to build around. 

I could see Miller for Voracek+ but not anything of high significance.

That's why I say ask for Jiricek but I'd be fine with Ceulemans and a 2nd on top of the 1st and cap dump Voracek, who I think could still be useful once healthy. Not worth his salary but not useless either

4 hours ago, combover said:

Locked up little Johnny same age (window) 

Miller is locked up no risk of him not resigning less uncertainty 

Hes from Ohio 

They where rumoured to be interested in him in the summer 

Flip side to your question why would horvat resign with CBJ 

when he can go anywhere and to a true contender this summer not a team that’s currently as bad as us. 

This is actually a good point.  Unless we do a sign and trade or BO signs an extension with Columbus, Miller actually gives them more long term certainty and security.  And he's a local boy.  And we can trade him this year to any team, so he can't veto it.  With little Johnny locked up and the same age as Miller they may want him instead of Horvat.  

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

That's why I say ask for Jiricek but I'd be fine with Ceulemans and a 2nd on top of the 1st and cap dump Voracek, who I think could still be useful once healthy. Not worth his salary but not useless either

1st 2nd and Cuelemans is a bit of an overpayment for them IMO.

They could probably almost land Chychrun with that.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

1st 2nd and Cuelemans is a bit of an overpayment for them IMO.

They could probably land Chychrun with that.

I dunno about that last bit, Cuelemans is a good prospect but he was still 25OA, I think they'd have to give up a better prospect for Chychrun

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I dunno about that last bit, Cuelemans is a good prospect but he was still 25OA, I think they'd have to give up a better prospect for Chychrun

1st and 2nd will probably be early ones though. Maybe Mateychuk instead of Cuelemans since Mateychuk is LD anyway which Chychrun would replace.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Might as well try with the NTC not kicking in till next season. 

Definitely gotta try, even if we're not coming away with a haul like we could have earlier in the year 

Freeing ourselves of that contract, even if it means bringing cap back that would come off the books sooner, would be a win in itself 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Come deadline someone might in my opinion.

GM's do silly things to help their teams win. Miller wouldn't be all that crazy. retain some salary until the big salary bump and he will have even more value.

57 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

As per Frank Seravalli:

Wasn’t he one of the many praising this as  “home town discount “ deal. Two months ago. lol brilliant. 

CBJ probably called van asking the price for horvat some one says it in an earshot of a media scumbag and they writes a rumour.

completly omits that CBJ sucks isn’t looking for rentals and the player in question (horvat) has already suffered on a mismanaged shitbag of a team so why would he even consider signing with another one when he can simply wait till summer pick the team he wants and the highest bidder. 

id bet no less than 25 teams have called on the price of horvat. 
and  another thing the price for Miller is probably substantially lower than horvats and lower than what it was before this season began.
But wouldnt want common sense to get in the way of a “story” 

watched the so called  “insiders” completely miss on every trade last TDL draft and off-season but now he’s got creditable  information lololololololololol

EDIT 

From this summer the same “ insider” 

Seravalli mentioned that there is a small handful of four or five teams still in the mix for Miller in trade discussions. We could see the deal go down anytime in the next 48 hours and it wouldn’t be a surprise at all to see the deal go down on day one of the NHL draft. Some of the teams to keep an eye on are the New York Rangers, New Jersey Devils, Carolina Hurricanes, and Columbus Blue Jackets. We don’t imagine that any of the Canadian teams are in on the Miller trade rumours.

yup he nailed it!! 

Edited by combover

10 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'll revisit my posting from yesterday. 

Columbus is interesting in that the guys folks envision as their future top six center's are extremely young. Sillinger may very well be the future, same with Johnson, but they don't look ready for top six play just yet. Hell, Boone Jenner is their top center this season. I've argued they could definitely use a Horvat, or even a Miller. 

Something around Voracek+ for Miller+another cap hit to equal Voracek's. Or something along the lines of Horvat for Nyquist+ as they're both on expiring deals. Columbus is tricky though because they already have few significant cap hits, one of which is Voracek's 8.25M over this season and the next.

I think any Miller or Horvat deal would have to involve taking Voracek back to make either of their extensions fit. 

So let's say Horvat (5.5M) and Pearson (2.75M after we retain 500k) which adds up to 8.25M for Voracek's 8.25M+Jiricek maybe a protected 1st+. Columbus would also be paying us to take on Voracek's deal for this season and next to facilitate an upgrade at center. Then they'd have Horvat, Jenner, and Sillinger down the middle. They'd have to figure out the rest of their cap but both Nyquist (5.5M) and Gakrikov (2.8M) coming off the books gives them a little bit of wiggle room. 

What else would we get back on top of Jiricek and a 1st within the next three years? That's where it gets interesting. Obviously Columbus could throw in other picks, but they've got some fantastic prospects. 

Other prospects of note are Johnson, Cuelemans (25OA RD), and Mateychuk (12OA 2022 LD) but I think Columbus would balk at giving up more top D prospects on top of Jiricek. Mind you you might be able to work out something around Johnson (5OA 2021 center/wing), a 2nd, and one of those other two D prospects. Del Bel Belluz (center, 2nd round pick 2022) is also interesting. 

Depends on how high Columbus is on Jiricek, but there's certainly pieces to work around. A package involving Johnson and Cuelemans would certainly have my attention, though obviously Jiricek is a premium RD prospect as well. Sillinger looks to be the future which may make Johnson more expendable. And CBJ could sure benefit from turning Voracek's anchor into something useful.

Anything is possible with Bo involved. There isn’t a fan on any team in this league that wouldn’t want to add him to the roster. It’s insane that we were even thinking about letting them go. Still if we wanna shake this up he’s a prime asset.

Edited by bad alice french

1 minute ago, bad alice french said:

Anything is possible with Bo involved. There isn’t a fan on any team in this league that wouldn’t want to add him to the roster. It’s insane that we were even thinking about letting them go. Still if we wanna shake this up he’s a prime asset.

He's def an appealing piece no question, but tinkering around the edges isn't going to be enough imo. This core needs surgery, this entire roster needs surgery. We're better off stripping it down. 

I'm sure there are plenty of places Bo would be willing to extend for the right price, I question whether Columbus would be one of them but you never know. I see them as more of a landing spot for Miller than Bo. 

• Cheers 1

Why would Horvat want to sign in Columbus?

Everyone knows that Boston is going to need Cs to replace Bergeron and Krejci.  They are atop the East and that was with missing McAvoy, Marchand etc to start the season.  Wouldn't surprise me if he targets signing there in the off-season rather than commit to CBJ whose future looks rather unclear.

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He's def an appealing piece no question, but tinkering around the edges isn't going to be enough imo. This core needs surgery, this entire roster needs surgery. We're better off stripping it down. 

I'm sure there are plenty of places Bo would be willing to extend for the right price, I question whether Columbus would be one of them but you never know. I see them as more of a landing spot for Miller than Bo. 

Watch management make a huge splash. Myers to Toronto for Nylander and Bo or Miller to Columbus part of a huge package.

With those two teams involved and their respective needs and available pieces coming back our way I could see two trades for us really reshaping they look of this team.

Edited by bad alice french
  • Cheers 1