The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lane Pederson | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Lane Pederson should come up for a few games. Send Dries back down. Good face off guy. Hits. 

I wouldn’t mind giving him a few games and wolanin   over Stillman and Dries 

see what they look like.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, R3aL said:

I wouldn’t mind giving him a few games and wolanin   over Stillman and Dries 

see what they look like.

This is the part of development I feel the Canucks seem to suck at. There are quite a few prospects over the past couple years that should be/have been given a couple games here and there to see what they can do, and if they float give them a bit of a longer look. Wolanin, Pederson, Lockwood, Brisebois…even Karlsson and Woo. Let them play, and if they seem to be able to hold their own, you can move higher paid players.

7 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

This is the part of development I feel the Canucks seem to suck at. There are quite a few prospects over the past couple years that should be/have been given a couple games here and there to see what they can do, and if they float give them a bit of a longer look. Wolanin, Pederson, Lockwood, Brisebois…even Karlsson and Woo. Let them play, and if they seem to be able to hold their own, you can move higher paid players.

that's not how NHL rosters work though..........they can't just bring guys up and play them, there has to be a roster spot and NHL teams run full rosters

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

On 12/6/2022 at 8:08 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

Lane Pederson should come up for a few games. Send Dries back down. Good face off guy. Hits. 

I agree Pederson needs a look at some point but at least give him 3rd line centre for 3- 4 games?

Studnicka 23 - 6'1 - 190 lbs picked up in trade with Boston has looked okay-- Been injured but needs a good 5-- 6 game look on 3rd line will tell More.. Needs like 11--13 mins to evaluate more..So many times players get called up play 8 mins on 4th line..

• Cheers 1

On 12/10/2022 at 9:10 AM, wildcam said:

I agree Pederson needs a look at some point but at least give him 3rd line centre for 3- 4 games?

Studnicka 23 - 6'1 - 190 lbs picked up in trade with Boston has looked okay-- Been injured but needs a good 5-- 6 game look on 3rd line will tell More.. Needs like 11--13 mins to evaluate more..So many times players get called up play 8 mins on 4th line..

Yeah, that’s funny, huh? They bring up a guy because he’s lights out playing first line in the AHL playing big minutes and shove him on the fourth line measuring icetime with an egg timer.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Pederson is a RFA this summer and is 25 years old, a late bloomer maybe ? Is he resigned for Abbotsford or a genuine chance for Vcr ?

He’s on such a heater lately and has been a really positive story down in Abby.

17 goals in 18 games since being acquired.

Gonna be interesting to see what the Canucks do with him. Historically, Pederson has been around a point per game and a top player in the AHL the past few years, but when he gets NHL opportunities, he’s forced into more of a bottom-six, checking/energy line role, and has struggled to make an impact. Hasn’t produced much offence and has gotten cratered defensively at the NHL level. But he’s probably been miscast in that kind of role, or at least hadn’t developed that side of his game enough to be successful at it, when playing games at the highest level.

The Abby Canucks coaches seem to be trying to help him improve his defensive game, with Pederson spending a lot of time with Gary Agnew at practice working on his defence and PK. They’re also giving him a ton of minutes in all situations, including the PK, during the games.

Apparently Canucks (NHL) management is very aware of Pederson’s progress and they’re paying close attention. They might very well have a legitimate player on their hands, if he indeed proves to be a late bloomer, and is able to carry over his AHL success into the NHL.

Hopefully the Canucks can find a way to work Pederson into the lineup without him having to switch too much to the checking/energy line role he’s been forced into in the past. It’s great that he’s improving his defensive skills, but I think he’s going to have his best chance if he’s actually allowed to play some offence and with offensively talented linemates. Sometimes that’s tough to do, when you’re getting called up, usually due to injuries, and expected to slot in and play bottom-six. But maybe Canucks can use him either on a third scoring line, or a 4th line with a more offensive focus. I don’t see Pederson becoming a prototypical checking 3C, but he could possibly be a secondary scoring guy (maybe even more) at the NHL level, in the right situation.

Still a long shot, of course, but he’s definitely trending well right now.

Statistically, he’s run at around 2nd/3rd line NHLe (NHL equivalency stats) for most of his career, but this recent AHL stint in Abby is seeing his numbers jump up to 1st/2nd line potential. Would be amazing if he keeps that up and somehow manages to make it translate at the next level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

On 12/6/2022 at 8:08 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

I like the game that Dries plays, but I agree that we should give Pederson a shot. We have 3 guys up front who realistically, not to call them short, let's just say they wouldn't look out of place in a Holiday production of The Wizard of Oz.... ;)

• Haha 1