The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Rangers trade Ryan Reaves to Wild for 2025 5th-round pick

18 minutes ago, mll said:

They paid for 8 years of Tkachuk - not just a 1 and done season.  They have to be able to continue to inject players on cheaper deals into their lineup or they'll have trouble competing throughout the length of his contract. 

Duclair at 3M is a good deal though so maybe they do pay the price to move that Hornqvist contract.

It's hard to say, Duclair this season and next could be worth it, depends on what the cost of dumping Hornqvist is 

When healthy Florida can still be an excellent team, could be plenty of reasons for wanting to keep thay going and Hornqvist isn't helping that

Winning builds the brand, it's tough to say how it plays out, maybe Duclair does go

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canucks have a better player in Dakota Joshua, who can actually play.

This isn't really about who's the better player, is it?  I recall too often how Reaves would terrorize the Canucks just from being on the ice. Canucks could've used hm. 

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

This isn't really about who's the better player, is it?  I recall too often how Reaves would terrorize the Canucks just from being on the ice. Canucks could've used hm. 

Why not? The better player will be of more benefit to the team. Reaves has been traded numerous times in the last few years. What does that tell you? 

Reaves wasn't really the terror you're making him out to be. And the Canucks could have used him about as much as they could have used Gudbranson. Both are players that few will tussle with, but outside of that, what really do they provide? I get that Gudbranson excelled in Calgary under Sutter, but Reaves is a declining asset now. And will only further decline. 

1 hour ago, mll said:

The GREEF line didn't get to play much together after they acquired Deslauriers due to injuries to Foligno and Greenway.  It was a bit of a struggle as that line doesn't work when any of the 3 is missing from it.  

The GREEF line was important to their success but having 2 scoring lines was just as important and is more what made the difference down the stretch.

Boldy got recalled in January and clicked immediately with Fiala.  It gave the Wild a legit 2nd scoring line.  When their 1st line wasn't going, that line could take over and did.  Fiala actually outproduced Kaprizov at EV from January onwards with Kaprizov doing better on the PP - Fiala was 5th in the league from January onwards and 10th on the season at EV.  Different matchups but still they had 2 productive top lines and don't have that this season.  

Their PP is better than last season but their EV play has dropped off considerably - they are currently 30th at 5v5 after finishing 3rd last season.  Foligno's observation is spot on:  "We’ve got to understand that we’re a team right now that’s a lot different than last year. … We don’t have the firepower that we thought we did."  

Sounds like they hope that Reaves will help them bring back some swagger and energy that they seem to be missing but not sure that will be sufficient to help their scoring woes.

Psshhhht.. terrible qualities for a Canuck. Nothing we need over here! We're happy being soft with no identity.

How do they have money with 13m dead cap to be making a pure money in deal giving up a pick. They have more than twice Loui's contract against their books and are above us in the standings. Playing .500 hockey. This is a statement to how broken this team is. 

I'm becoming a wild fan I think. Imagine in 3 years if they maintain this mentality and suddenly get that cap space boost. I hope they build something special there. They have been the poster boy of mediocrity for well since basically forever. 

1 hour ago, Rabbit said:

This is not a major trade, not important.

Skill-wise, sure...  but I have a feeling like this could jump-start the Wild back into a top team like they were to finish last season.  Adding the toughest guy in the league next to Lucic, MacDermid, and Johnston would make everybody on their team play a little bit bigger. 

It's not a huge hill to climb if you want to be the toughest team in the West.  It just didn't work out for them last season because they got matched up with the other tough team in the West: Nashville Predators.  

I'm hoping that we get to see a Calgary - Minnesota series.  That would be fun to watch as a neutral fan. 

38 minutes ago, hammertime said:

How do they have money with 13m dead cap to be making a pure money in deal giving up a pick. They have more than twice Loui's contract against their books and are above us in the standings. Playing .500 hockey. This is a statement to how broken this team is. 

I'm becoming a wild fan I think. Imagine in 3 years if they maintain this mentality and suddenly get that cap space boost. I hope they build something special there. They have been the poster boy of mediocrity for well since basically forever. 

Guerin is doing good things for them, and their drafting was good even before our amateur scout poster boy went there (the name escapes me).  

They have the appeal of being the home state of a lot of hockey players, without the insane fans that Canadian markets tend to have.  

I don't think that anyone's taken pictures of Bill Guerin in a produce isle and tried to publicly shame him that he's breaking Covid protocols through Twitter. 

Making cap space for Miller.. trade Miller for Miller.

Miller waives easily for NYR. 

he goes home… we resign Bo and bring in a heavy large framed RHD with youth… and a 1st round pick… 

then Rutherford Mall in Nanaimo if it still exists plans a parade cause… 

Edited by Phat Fingers

On 11/23/2022 at 10:42 PM, Coconuts said:

It's hard to say, Duclair this season and next could be worth it, depends on what the cost of dumping Hornqvist is 

When healthy Florida can still be an excellent team, could be plenty of reasons for wanting to keep thay going and Hornqvist isn't helping that

Winning builds the brand, it's tough to say how it plays out, maybe Duclair does go

Friedman in his podcast du jour thinks they don't want to trade Duclair.  

Also says that it's unlikely that they would trade Hornqvist.  He reminded how things went down when Hornqvist got traded to Florida.  Pittsburgh basically forced him to waive.  and Florida then promised him that they wouldn't trade him further.  He's been told that Florida intends to keep their word to him.  

1 hour ago, mll said:

Friedman in his podcast du jour thinks they don't want to trade Duclair.  

Also says that it's unlikely that they would trade Hornqvist.  He reminded how things went down when Hornqvist got traded to Florida.  Pittsburgh basically forced him to waive.  and Florida then promised him that they wouldn't trade him further.  He's been told that Florida intends to keep their word to him.  

Hmm, that leaves them in a tough spot. Most of their bigger dollars are contributing. They only really have to figure it out for this season though, Hornqvist comes off the books and so does Darling. Yandle's buyout becomes significantly easier to manage too, dropping from 5.3M to 1.2M.