The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Colorado Avalanche | Nov. 23, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

28 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

It's not that the Canucks are winning because of Martin, it's that they're losing because of the way Demko is playing this year.  Martin may let in goals, but he's not letting in very many that are real bad goals.  Demko has had way too many bad goals given up, which costs the Canucks the win.  Martin hasn't had a game that cost the Canucks.

sure i agree demko have been bad this year.. but it's hard for martin to have a bad game that'll cost the canucks if he has to give up 5 goals 7 goals 9 goals in order for him to lose?.. martin have been good in a couple of games.. but he's been just as bad in the rest of them.. the only difference was martin spread it out over 3 periods and demko for whatever reason let them come in bunches in the 3rd period. outside of the 3rd period demko haven't been as horrible as the "fans" make it seem. in the 7 games spencer martin played the canucks scored a grand total of 33 goals. in the 13 games demko played they have scored a grand total of 37 goals.. so 4 more goals in 5 more games.. martin played well in a couple of those games for sure and demko really only had maybe 1 or 2 good games so far.. but let's be real.. the only reason we even have those wins is the offence pouring in goals at the other end combine with bad goaltending from the other team so we are able to outscore our problems.

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We were 0-5 on the pp

They had 2 more pp minutes but benefitedftom a gift 5-3.

More 5-5 play we would have had more hits and blocks.

Only 12 hits and 17 blocks.

We could have played a stronger without so many pp's.

Slightly misleading stat though. Scored one goal just as Makar was coming back on the ice and one on the 4v4 that rolled over into a truncated PP and the 5th PP was the last minute of the game.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Viper007 said:

It's not that the Canucks are winning because of Martin, it's that they're losing because of the way Demko is playing this year.  Martin may let in goals, but he's not letting in very many that are real bad goals.  Demko has had way too many bad goals given up, which costs the Canucks the win.  Martin hasn't had a game that cost the Canucks.

Last night Martin was great on the 5 x 3 / four minute PP - that  could have been game over... Yes they scored eventually ... but he made some great saves.   Not just routine ones. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Hardly slept because I was so jacked from the game last night, 4:30am wake up for my job, sucks but was worth it! 

This win meant a lot in terms of confidence. It proved they can beat anyone if they channel themselves the right way. The mental component of these players is the greatest hurdle that coach BB has to deal with. They didn’t collapse while having the lead in the 3rd. They maintained forechecking pressure, kept their plays simple and defended well. Having good goaltending also helped. Martin didn’t have to stand on his head, just play well.

• Like 4

It's not just about how the goalie plays, although I'm fine with Martin's game, although I was thinking, stay in your crease last night, but it's really about how the team plays in front of the goalie, and right now we can win with Martin, that's the bottom line. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Slightly misleading stat though. Scored one goal just as Makar was coming back on the ice and one on the 4v4 that rolled over into a truncated PP and the 5th PP was the last minute of the game.

Yes we did play better than that stat 0-5. And I think we were stronger 5-5, we had to be. Our lines had to be more focused and not get dragged down by the refs calls. It felt like a playoff game. Our guys kept their energy up and went for it at every little opportunity and made the most of it. Our hitting was good at slowing down their attack. The Avs gained so much momentum on their pp and also Garlands disallowed goal. They looked like they were on cruise control and having fun. But Coach B kept them in it and focused. I like that Boeser didn't have much pp time, also that Petie on the point with that slap shot. Gave him more room and more wind up, and scared them.

With so much special teams we had to work harder to get the lead.

Martin was sharp.

The disallowed goal on Garland and then such a soft call on Miller to make a 5-3, those were serious head scratchers. PA should send those into the league to check.

But, i liked that we did not fold.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yes we did play better than that stat 0-5. And I think we were stronger 5-5, we had to be. Our lines had to be more focused and not get dragged down by the refs calls. It felt like a playoff game. Our guys kept their energy up and went for it at every little opportunity and made the most of it. Our hitting was good at slowing down their attack. The Avs gained so much momentum on their pp and also Garlands disallowed goal. They looked like they were on cruise control and having fun. But Coach B kept them in it and focused. I like that Boeser didn't have much pp time, also that Petie on the point with that slap shot. Gave him more room and more wind up, and scared them.

With so much special teams we had to work harder to get the lead.

Martin was sharp.

The disallowed goal on Garland and then such a soft call on Miller to make a 5-3, those were serious head scratchers. PA should send those into the league to check.

But, i liked that we did not fold.

We can probably flip our current win-loss record (7-10 to 10-7) if Demko played decent.  

• Upvote 1

Best d-side game played this year by the Canucks IMHO. As good as Bo's season has been I place EP40 as the top player on the team, hands down. His 200' game has taken another jump this year. He rarely loses body position in the d-zone and makes reliable plays. Is his FO getting stronger? Sure looks like it. On the o-side his line with the 2 Russians is looking dangerous every game. 

Did Burroughs put his spot debate to rest last night? Solid game by him I cannot see him sitting again. But I said that before? A really nice story is Sheldon Dries season. He is more noticeable. He gets the reps and eliminates the yips. I like it.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

And if I had my druthers

Lockwood in for Dries. Would make us more gritty and sand papery. With a little line adjustment that is.

I like Lockwood, but our 4th line is one of 2 consistent lines that are doing their job so wouldn't want to mess with that.

Dries played pretty good night so maybe that 3rd line can be more then a 'slap it together' line until we get a bona fide 3rd line center.

wait a minute.... we do have another center..:)

52 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

And if I had my druthers

Lockwood in for Dries. Would make us more gritty and sand papery. With a little line adjustment that is.

I'm not sure why anyone wouldnt be happy with dries........he's been a pleasant surprise 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

No doubt about it.

the worst defensive metrics must be every pairing that has had stillman on it no matter the partner.

People need to remember that Stillman is still young and developing.  I'm sure they're looking ahead to what he could be more than what he is and that means he needs to play 

I know one thing, the Bear deal is better than most of us expected.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1