Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Colorado Avalanche | Nov. 23, 2022

Rate this topic


-Vintage Canuck-
 Share

Recommended Posts

It's not just about how the goalie plays, although I'm fine with Martin's game, although I was thinking, stay in your crease last night, but it's really about how the team plays in front of the goalie, and right now we can win with Martin, that's the bottom line. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Slightly misleading stat though. Scored one goal just as Makar was coming back on the ice and one on the 4v4 that rolled over into a truncated PP and the 5th PP was the last minute of the game.

Yes we did play better than that stat 0-5. And I think we were stronger 5-5, we had to be. Our lines had to be more focused and not get dragged down by the refs calls. It felt like a playoff game. Our guys kept their energy up and went for it at every little opportunity and made the most of it. Our hitting was good at slowing down their attack. The Avs gained so much momentum on their pp and also Garlands disallowed goal. They looked like they were on cruise control and having fun. But Coach B kept them in it and focused. I like that Boeser didn't have much pp time, also that Petie on the point with that slap shot. Gave him more room and more wind up, and scared them.

With so much special teams we had to work harder to get the lead.

Martin was sharp.

The disallowed goal on Garland and then such a soft call on Miller to make a 5-3, those were serious head scratchers. PA should send those into the league to check.

But, i liked that we did not fold.

 

 

 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Surprising. Shocking even. I guess Martin and Burroughs really do make a difference. 

And if I had my druthers

Lockwood in for Dries. Would make us more gritty and sand papery. With a little line adjustment that is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yes we did play better than that stat 0-5. And I think we were stronger 5-5, we had to be. Our lines had to be more focused and not get dragged down by the refs calls. It felt like a playoff game. Our guys kept their energy up and went for it at every little opportunity and made the most of it. Our hitting was good at slowing down their attack. The Avs gained so much momentum on their pp and also Garlands disallowed goal. They looked like they were on cruise control and having fun. But Coach B kept them in it and focused. I like that Boeser didn't have much pp time, also that Petie on the point with that slap shot. Gave him more room and more wind up, and scared them.

With so much special teams we had to work harder to get the lead.

Martin was sharp.

The disallowed goal on Garland and then such a soft call on Miller to make a 5-3, those were serious head scratchers. PA should send those into the league to check.

But, i liked that we did not fold.

 

 

 

We can probably flip our current win-loss record (7-10 to 10-7) if Demko played decent.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Best d-side game played this year by the Canucks IMHO. As good as Bo's season has been I place EP40 as the top player on the team, hands down. His 200' game has taken another jump this year. He rarely loses body position in the d-zone and makes reliable plays. Is his FO getting stronger? Sure looks like it. On the o-side his line with the 2 Russians is looking dangerous every game. 

 

Did Burroughs put his spot debate to rest last night? Solid game by him I cannot see him sitting again. But I said that before? A really nice story is Sheldon Dries season. He is more noticeable. He gets the reps and eliminates the yips. I like it.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

And if I had my druthers

Lockwood in for Dries. Would make us more gritty and sand papery. With a little line adjustment that is.

I like Lockwood, but our 4th line is one of 2 consistent lines that are doing their job so wouldn't want to mess with that.

Dries played pretty good night so maybe that 3rd line can be more then a 'slap it together' line until we get a bona fide 3rd line center.

 

wait a minute.... we do have another center..:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

And if I had my druthers

Lockwood in for Dries. Would make us more gritty and sand papery. With a little line adjustment that is.

I'm not sure why anyone wouldnt be happy with dries........he's been a pleasant surprise 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

No doubt about it.

 

the worst defensive metrics must be every pairing that has had stillman on it no matter the partner.

People need to remember that Stillman is still young and developing.  I'm sure they're looking ahead to what he could be more than what he is and that means he needs to play 

 

I know one thing, the Bear deal is better than most of us expected.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy we got the win, but until I see this team show the ability to string a few games together with consistency in terms of pace, commitment, urgency I will continue to be pessimistic about this season. We've seen them put in good efforts this season, only to follow it up with a total stinker so fingers crossed they actually build off of this win. 

 

On side note, that was one of the worst officiated games I've seen in a LONG time. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Harold Drunken said:

Happy we got the win, but until I see this team show the ability to string a few games together with consistency in terms of pace, commitment, urgency I will continue to be pessimistic about this season. We've seen them put in good efforts this season, only to follow it up with a total stinker so fingers crossed they actually build off of this win. 

 

On side note, that was one of the worst officiated games I've seen in a LONG time. 

Go check out the Toronto jersey game last night lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Hardly slept because I was so jacked from the game last night, 4:30am wake up for my job, sucks but was worth it! 
 

This win meant a lot in terms of confidence. It proved they can beat anyone if they channel themselves the right way. The mental component of these players is the greatest hurdle that coach BB has to deal with. They didn’t collapse while having the lead in the 3rd. They maintained forechecking pressure, kept their plays simple and defended well. Having good goaltending also helped. Martin didn’t have to stand on his head, just play well.

How about in a playoff series ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

sry Martin stats in november is 3.42 .890 and demko is 3.67 .892 both goalie have not been good.. and before this game martin stats is even worse.. it doesn't matter who we stick in net.. Martin will get his share of L soon enough as he's not going to get his 4.5 goals per game offence every game he played. both goalies have been bad this season.. to say martin is the reason we winning and demko is the reason we losing.. what a joke.

 

and yes martin played well this game

Yeah but reality is stats don't always tell the whole story for obvious reasons. example - we have several players on pace for their best ever seasons statistically yet the team is bad and struggling. There were periods last year where Demko's stats were average or even sub par, yet he was literally stealing us games.

 

Goalies stats are often largely dependent on team defense and the play in front of him, shots on net, penalty killing ,scoring chances etc. Martin has made the tough and timely saves when he has to...including last night.

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Happy we got the win, but until I see this team show the ability to string a few games together with consistency in terms of pace, commitment, urgency I will continue to be pessimistic about this season. We've seen them put in good efforts this season, only to follow it up with a total stinker so fingers crossed they actually build off of this win. 

 

On side note, that was one of the worst officiated games I've seen in a LONG time. 

The Zebras seems to had had a bet on the game cause they were really trying to manage the game, more so than most..

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

I think it’s one of the softest goalie interference reverse calls after a review I’ve seen. That said I can also see the argument for it. But nonetheless very soft 

That was a terrible call......poor officiating on the night, in general 

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure why anyone wouldnt be happy with dries........he's been a pleasant surprise 

I like him yeah. But he's  a type of player for the top 6. He can replace Hogs or Podz. Our bottom 6 has to have the pushback we need. I think Lockwood would bring that in spades. Aman is a great fill in for Dries. Did you see Dries standing next to Rantenen in the crease! My gosh he's huge. He could have had a couple more goals. I'd rather have Aman on him one on one than Dries. And I like the thought of Lockwood creating have on the 4th and drawing penalties.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Hardly slept because I was so jacked from the game last night, 4:30am wake up for my job, sucks but was worth it! 
 

This win meant a lot in terms of confidence. It proved they can beat anyone if they channel themselves the right way. The mental component of these players is the greatest hurdle that coach BB has to deal with. They didn’t collapse while having the lead in the 3rd. They maintained forechecking pressure, kept their plays simple and defended well. Having good goaltending also helped. Martin didn’t have to stand on his head, just play well.

Yup, I mean even the panel agreed if the Canucks tighten up defensively they should be able to play with anyone in the league....we have the horses up front scoring wise to do it......if we can figure out the play in our own end and shore up the penalty kill the results will be much better. We'll see if they can figure that part out or not. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...