The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Colorado Avalanche | Nov. 23, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

At some point you will need to come to the realization that Seattle is a better team than ours, has a better structure and is being better coached. It might take you a little while longer but I think you will get there eventually. 

They are ahead of us in standings still early but yea they are better than us at this point

1 minute ago, Muttley said:

The Canucks have the same amount of goals as Seattle, put better defensive structure into the equation and a much better showing from Thatcher Demko and, well....... 

I predicted a good start for Seattle. I think they will fizzle out. I’m not really comparing to Kraken to the Canucks. I think Seattle will be a good team long term but they are still years away.

As for the Canucks my expectations aren’t great but I do have some hope. A good start to the season from Demko would have been a difference maker so far for this season. And maybe we’ll turn things around yet. I mean the last 10 games or so we are a winning club. We’ll see what happens but long term we have to figure out the defence. I think everyone is on the same page there 

• Upvote 1

At 20 game mark, nux only 3 pts and 4 pts back of oils and flames. This, despite one of the worst start in franchise history. 

We all know nux have underperformed, despite not having a good d core even when healthy.  Demko struggles, early injures to QH, Ilya, BB, and continued injures to Poolman, Dermott, now add Pearson and Stud etc.  Reduced performances from OEL, Podz and Hoglander, and JT too, compared to last yr. 

And in too many of the games they lost, nux had multi goal leads or scored first. They pissed away so many pts. So it's not like they were not competitive at all in those games that they dropped. 

I am glad the management hasn't made huge knee jerk moves yet like firing coaches, trade Bo etc.  They need to see what this core can do. Lot of us and media have seen this core over several seasons and made up our minds already, but they only started since last Dec.  Some in the media say this is what they are and you don't need to see anymore, but I believe players are not static. Most of the players are still young and can get better over time.  Same time last yr, many were calling EP a bust or wanted him out. Media questioned if the management should consider him as a core that they build around. 

Screenshot_20221126-040749.png

Screenshot_20221126-041944.png

Edited by Jaimito

10 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

At 20 game mark, nux only 3 pts and 4 pts back of oils and flames. This, despite one of the worst start in franchise history. 

We all know nux have underperformed, despite not having a good d core even when healthy.  Demko struggles, early injures to QH, Ilya, BB, and continued injures to Poolman, Dermott, now add Pearson and Stud etc.  Reduced performances from OEL, Podz and Hoglander, and JT too, compared to last yr. 

And in too many of the games they lost, nux had multi goal leads or scored first. They pissed away so many pts. So it's not like they were not competitive at all in those games that they dropped. 

I am glad the management hasn't made huge knee jerk moves yet like firing coaches, trade Bo etc.  They need to see what this core can do. Lot of us and media have seen this core over several seasons and made up our minds already, but they only started since last Dec.  Some in the media say this is what they are and you don't need to see anymore, but I believe players are not static. Most of the players are still young and can get better over time.  Same time last yr, many were calling EP a bust or wanted him out. Media questioned if the management should consider him as a core that they build around. 

Screenshot_20221126-040749.png

Screenshot_20221126-041944.png

The Canucks' biggest weakness has been the Canucks, not other teams out-playing us. The same can be said for Edmonton - when they've lost games they've just been bad, and the same goes for Calgary - not many teams don't produce offence like they can now and Markstrom has been pretty suspect all year. 

We're sadly right in the thick of things, all it takes is for us to sort our defensive problems out and we can start to go on some sort of winning streak to boost us up there.

Seattle just beat Vegas at home last night so you know they're not going to lose 2 in a row to bottom teams, will make the Canucks game tricky for sure.

I think you often see teams fly out of the gates and then struggle, like the Sabres, but Seattle look fairly legit and deep this year, and play a well structured defensive game. That is a sustainable way to play. While I still think they'll falter later in the year, they're making up so much ground now that they may squeak into the playoffs. Meanwhile, you know Calgary and Edmonton have to and probably will play better down the stretch (although not seeing any signs of this from Calgary, their prime may be past them).

As long as we're within reach, you know JR isn't going to blow this team up just yet. He'll be holding off on a Bo trade until Aquillini gives him the green light to get rid of our best player, but as long as we're within reach of a playoff spot I doubt they make any big trades.

I liked Seattle's expansion draft,  they loaded up on 2nd and 3rd pairing defenseman.  They went for size and had access to a lot of really good bottom 6 forwards and a couple of offensive leaders. 

They played their ED differently than Vegas but will be reaping the advantages for a couple more seasons.  

We can never take them lightly and it's going to be a very good rivalry I think.

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Plus they have Shane Wright who is not even contributing yet and he was touted as a franchise player. 

Once wright gets going we are in trouble.  Alvin really needs to find a way to load up on picks and draft actual dmen and centres.  Theres no need for wingers the next 3 years. 

59 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I liked Seattle's expansion draft,  they loaded up on 2nd and 3rd pairing defenseman.  They went for size and had access to a lot of really good bottom 6 forwards and a couple of offensive leaders. 

They played their ED differently than Vegas but will be reaping the advantages for a couple more seasons.  

We can never take them lightly and it's going to be a very good rivalry I think.

I liked that draft too.  They drafted a bunch of gamers that have won in the past. Most of their forwards have a solid 2 way game.  Deep team

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

I liked that draft too.  They drafted a bunch of gamers that have won in the past. Most of their forwards have a solid 2 way game.  Deep team

Bernier is coming along good, good in the facoffs. Wright next year. Wonder what it would take to trade for Oleksiak.