The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Ottawa & Vancouver Still Actively Talking Trade

Warhippy

Whether this has anything to do with the rumours about Myers or not is unsure.  But it is certainly looking to be as much fire as smoke with a few insiders suggesting there is as much heat here as there is/was with the Columbus rumours.  Evidently, Zub is rumoured to have made a statement about going to free agency and Ottawa is looking for a potential replacement.  Zaitsev also rumoured ot be the potential 1-1 for Myers but would evidently need value coming back.

Confusing if true but apparently this has been going on for a full week or more

Sportsnet: Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek on 32 Thoughts: The Podcast – Doing the Wright Thing – on the potential trade talks between the Vancouver Canucks and Ottawa Senators.

Marek: “Something else from Saturday as well. Vancouver and the Ottawa Senators discussing deals involving defensemen

Friedman: “I had a couple people who said to me, ‘did you say that Zaitsev turned down the deal?’ and I said ‘no, I don’t believe that happened.’

I can’t give you the exact timeline. It’s kind of hard to say.

Marek: “Just so we introduce this properly here. this is a deal involving both Tyler Myers and Nikita Zaitsev.

Friedman: “Yes. So there’s been a lot of smoke around Ottawa because of, everybody knows they are looking D. And then Mike Grier came out publically with Erik Karlsson. We listen. Then you and I talked about Ottawa and we heard that they talked but it doesn’t look to be a match. We know Ottawa is looking for a D.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Getting Zub would be fantastic.  What would we need to add to Myers? 

Zub is a good player but do we need a rental just to try and make the playoffs? I'd rather not give up an asset for a rental.

Trade Myers to them for whatever we can get. Try to sign Bo; otherwise trade Bo and get picks and prospects back.

Ottawa will probably trade Zub at the TDL for a good return.

26 minutes ago, jyu said:

Myers for their 2nd rounder? We lost ours in the trade for Stillman.

Get Rathbone in the line up so that he can develop (although Bruce will likely have Stillman playing ahead of Rathbone for sure).

QH-Schenn

OEL-Bear

Rathbone-Burroughs

Our already horrible defence will be worse without Myers but at least we get closer to getting Bedard.

We still have this years 2nd, it was the 24 one that we've dealt.  Still be nice to get more than our allotted picks for once though.

• Cheers 1

Zub would be a potentially great partner for Hughes, but is a rental.  That's where my mind is at.  If Ottawa is looking to trade him, they'll get bank return for him because he's a solid RHD.  I can't understand vancouver trading for him without knowing they can retain him; let alone what they'd offer Ottawa that someone else couldn;t.

Heard Jake sanderson brought up but not sure how he fits either.

There's some pieces on both teams that make sense to each other but unsure what they would be.  needless to say, this started last week and is apparently still ongoing.

Don;'t forget though, Mikheyv and Kuzmenko do share an agent with Zub

Edited by Warhippy
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Rathbone has done nothing to show he can handle a regular NHL job.  He needs to be in the AHL working on his defensive play.

Agree agree... but we are trying to get Bedard here. Let him work on his defensive play in the NHL.

Just now, TNucks1 said:

podz is being misused, looked great last year.

Podkolzin's ice time has stayed relatively the same as last year and Podklozin's has played mostly with so far this season in these line combinations.

BO HORVAT - CONOR GARLAND - VASILY PODKOLZIN
ELIAS PETTERSSON - VASILY PODKOLZIN - ANDREI KUZMENKO
ELIAS PETTERSSON - NILS HOGLANDER - VASILY PODKOLZIN 

His production has dipped nevertheless despite playing with some good linemate for the most part. Especially early one when guys were out, he had a lot of opportunity. 

So in due part too he has been struggling. Dries has done well with less ice time, as has the 4th line and Stunicka wasn't too bad. These guys have earned some looks which means there will be less ice-time to go around, not to mention Pearson's out(with Studnicka).

Personally I would send Pod down with Hog/Rathbone while we figure things out up here. It wouldn't be forever and I see more benefit than their current situation. 

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Podkolzin's ice time has stayed relatively the same as last year and Podklozin's has played mostly with so far this season in these line combinations.

BO HORVAT - CONOR GARLAND - VASILY PODKOLZIN
ELIAS PETTERSSON - VASILY PODKOLZIN - ANDREI KUZMENKO
ELIAS PETTERSSON - NILS HOGLANDER - VASILY PODKOLZIN 

His production has dipped nevertheless despite playing with some good linemate for the most part. Especially early one when guys were out, he had a lot of opportunity. 

So in due part too he has been struggling. Dries has done well with less ice time, as has the 4th line and Stunicka wasn't too bad. These guys have earned some looks which means there will be less ice-time to go around, not to mention Pearson's out(with Studnicka).

Personally I would send Pod down with Hog/Rathbone while we figure things out up here. It wouldn't be forever and I see more benefit than their current situation. 

i like bruce, but i think his confidence is down the drain, getting scratched and playing on the 4th line, dries gets to much flak around here i do like studnicka and dries to, i do agree with sending bones back.

48 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Hughes - Schenn 

OEL - Bear 

Brisebois - Burroughs 

Rathbone - Stillman 

Myers for anything and let's get some cap space.

Whatever trade that is made, we will immediately be a lesser team. Sucks to lose that big presence and minutes guy, but the salary retained is long(er) term gain. Saying that we better not play Hughs to the point of exhaustion and injury to make up for him.