The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Amount of time spent with others since 2013

58 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

I'd argue that things started going downhill when the first Iphone/Smartphones were becoming mainstream. Would be interesting to see a study on the effects they had. I remember going to highschool with no phone at all, nowadays it seems like you can't live without one.

So I believe that the year 2012 is when over half the population got a smartphone.  

I don't know if that's why they used the year 2013 for this study. 

46 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

So I believe that the year 2012 is when over half the population got a smartphone.  

I don't know if that's why they used the year 2013 for this study. 

It's possible, I think smartphones have had a massive negative effect on society and people's mental health.

I completely believe it and it's why everyone has gone crazy to various amounts.

People are herd animals that's why we congregate in areas called called cities so that we can meet up to go to church (pray), or a hockey game (pray), or to a social gathering where you might find a mate (pray). Even when the pray part is done or not even in our mind, many of us still like the social interaction.

By taking it away you start to path to crazy. Then substituting it with the computer/smart phone version makes it even worse. Anyone with any sort of fringe idea that tried to spread them in real life would get some counter thoughts that might put things in perspective. Online they just get grouped together into silos that reaffirms their weird ideas. This in turn silos people into different frames of mind where now if they try to interact with anyone outside the silo they view the outsiders as "crazy", "liars", "misinformed", "uneducated
", "misled", "evil", "dangerous", etc.

And then voila! We have our current world of extremists where you get radical environmentalist and social justice warriors fighting and protesting against anti vaxx freedom fighting religious warriors.  Instead of democracy and an exchange of ideas, we have impending civil war where one ideologue is going to try to defeat the other.

What a marvelous invention that smart phone!

I'm seeing a growing trend of posts saying "I don't like people" or some variation of it. Even in this thread.

While that starts off as a joke, I wonder if this being repeated has negative effects.

The more we see a mindset of "people are disposable", the worse off we are collectively.

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I'm seeing a growing trend of posts saying "I don't like people" or some variation of it. Even in this thread.

While that starts off as a joke, I wonder if this being repeated has negative effects.

The more we see a mindset of "people are disposable", the worse off we are collectively.

I've been like that for 50 years.  Most people are dumb as rocks and are so self absorbed it's a waste of my time to even look at them.

22 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I think you have a solid point.

For me, I am not joking that I dont need people. Doesn't mean I dont wish people well or that they are disposable.

Anyway, a solution is the Mall. It is/was the marketplace or townhall...a centre of society. All walks of life.

Make Malls Great Again. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I've been like that for 50 years.  Most people are dumb as rocks and are so self absorbed it's a waste of my time to even look at them.

If you truly feel that way, good chance you've either been surrounding yourself with bad people, or your standards are too high.

Most people are good people.

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I think you have a solid point.

For me, I am not joking that I dont need people. Doesn't mean I dont wish people well or that they are disposable.

Anyway, a solution is the Mall. It is/was the marketplace or townhall...a centre of society. All walks of life.

Make Malls Great Again. 

Without knowing much about you, I wonder if your mindset would be the same if there were no means of connecting with people online?

I definitely prefer malls over online shopping. Buying anything off Amazon just feels lifeless. Unfortunately it's the malls/downtown that feel lifeless now, at least where I am.

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

Without knowing much about you, I wonder if your mindset would be the same if there were no means of connecting with people online?

I definitely prefer malls over online shopping. Buying anything off Amazon just feels lifeless. Unfortunately it's the malls/downtown that feel lifeless now, at least where I am.

I really do enjoy my time here on CDC. Mostly because I learn about topics that I might not get around to. It's my only social media. I would not post here if I could not be anonymous.

I was already in my 20's when social media came out. I never liked the idea, other than the annoymous platforms as I have mentioned. I see things like FB etc as highschool-esq online line resumes ...places wher people scramble to get hollow variations of  'likes' 'follows' 'friends'. I know not all users are like that but it just isn't for me.

As for connecting to people. A phone call is good enough..

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I really do enjoy my time here on CDC. Mostly because I learn about topics that I might not get around to. It's my only social media. I would not post here if I could not be anonymous.

I was already in my 20's when social media came out. I never liked the idea, other than the annoymous platforms as I have mentioned. I see things like FB etc as highschool-esq online line resumes ...places wher people scramble to get hollow variations of  'likes' 'follows' 'friends'. I know not all users are like that but it just isn't for me.

I typically only post on anonymous social medias as well. With how quick everyone is to vilify anyone who disagrees with them, it's an easy decision to remain anonymous.

There's definitely a lot of what you said going on in places like FB. I rejected it at first, but now I like it for staying up to date on big events from people I don't see regularly. I refuse to use a platform like instagram, that seems to be the epitome of hollowness.

I've never been big on phone calls, or texting for that matter. I prefer to save any conversations for the next time I see the person. Even just going out to get a coffee is so much better to me.

Different preferences for different people, especially if there's long distances involved, but the important thing imo is to stay connected in some way. I think it's roughly 25% of adults that say they have no friends, and that sounds very depressing to me.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Master Mind said:

If you truly feel that way, good chance you've either been surrounding yourself with bad people, or your standards are too high.

Lol....you don't have a clue about my life. 

I choose my friends wisely. 

I am respectful to EVERYONE I come in contact with no matter who they are and what they do for a living.....but the again most people my age are like that.

That is the values my Dad installed in me.

It doesn't mean I need or want to socialize with them

Maybe your standards are too low.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

13 hours ago, Master Mind said:

I typically only post on anonymous social medias as well. With how quick everyone is to vilify anyone who disagrees with them, it's an easy decision to remain anonymous.

There's definitely a lot of what you said going on in places like FB. I rejected it at first, but now I like it for staying up to date on big events from people I don't see regularly. I refuse to use a platform like instagram, that seems to be the epitome of hollowness.

I've never been big on phone calls, or texting for that matter. I prefer to save any conversations for the next time I see the person. Even just going out to get a coffee is so much better to me.

Different preferences for different people, especially if there's long distances involved, but the important thing imo is to stay connected in some way. I think it's roughly 25% of adults that say they have no friends, and that sounds very depressing to me.

Like the way you vilified my opinion?

On 11/29/2022 at 6:16 PM, 4petesake said:

My kind of guy! I cut back heavily on daily news as well and it helps. 

I was watching a YouTuber van-dweller who happens to be a single woman living full-time and travelling in her van. She said that she is so happy and grateful to be young and alive in a time that allows her to live her dream by documenting her days on social media, something that she wouldn’t have been able to do in any other era. Worth remembering that not everything about social media is bad. People who look for good are much more likely to find it.

Sleeping in the back of my car for half dozen ski seasons at Mt. Hotham was one the happiest times of my life. 

Every moment I wasn't sleeping I was hanging out with my friends, skiing, writing songs, talking about life. 

Hiking the backcountry, just being at one with nature. 

Skiing at 12 am under a full moon. 

Even just walking down the road to my car and staring at the stars.

I can remember the sound of the icicles falling off the snow gum leaves when the morning sun warmed them.

Not a telly in sight for me.

Ski resorts are intense places for building bonds with people and the planet itself.

On 11/30/2022 at 12:13 PM, bishopshodan said:

• Huggy Bear 1

On 11/30/2022 at 11:47 AM, Master Mind said:

• Cheers 1

On 11/30/2022 at 11:18 AM, The Arrogant Worms said:

Lol....you don't have a clue about my life. 

I choose my friends wisely. 

I am respectful to EVERYONE I come in contact with no matter who they are and what they do for a living.....but the again most people my age are like that.

That is the values my Dad installed in me.

It doesn't mean I need or want to socialize with them

Maybe your standards are too low.

Of course I don't know anything about you, I never claimed I did. I was just basing my thoughts on your previous reply, which was clearly very negative.

On 11/29/2022 at 7:42 PM, The Arrogant Worms said:

I just think this is a mindset that will lead to unhappiness for most people.