The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Washington Capitals at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 29, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

21 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't like @stawns take at all. Having said he's a smart guy and probably right. Unfortunately though we won't get anything worthwhile back at all. Garbage out garbage in. We'd be smart to take pick(s) at the deadline and use that money to upgrade in the offseason but be prepared to see Boeser traded for a RD Stillman 2.0.

I think he's playing well enough to bring back a #4-5 dman, with similar cap........hopefully they can get some cap savings out of it 

You can almost still hear the love Bruce has for Ovie and the Capitals when the Canucks play them. Washington was the bigger, stronger team that came in a bullied the Canucks, as an example. 

So, the coach loves the Capitals and the Pres and GM love the Penguins. Who loves the Canucks? The Sedins?  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't like @stawns take at all. Having said he's a smart guy and probably right. Unfortunately though we won't get anything worthwhile back at all. Garbage out garbage in. We'd be smart to take pick(s) at the deadline and use that money to upgrade in the offseason but be prepared to see Boeser traded for a RD Stillman 2.0.

Agreed on the Boeser plan.  I don't see our owner allowing a move (of a key player, like Boeser) to return only futures.  Maybe Garland is the guy we do a complete dumperoo? That save 5 on the cap.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

This is kinda a cheap shot but here goes. In the clips last night of the Philly-Islander game Big Mac had a feature bout as he tangled with an Islander after a hit. Big Mac stepped in and adjusted the thinking and Philly went on to a victory. Big Mac is playing 13-15 minutes a game, scoring some points and is obviously a Torts fav. 

I bring this up as, IMHO, that is what Vancouver needed last night in a big way. To a degree the Caps were doing just that. They hit EP40 a couple of times and Martin was bumped as well. Not outrageous but wouldn't some physical push back helped to motivate and juice the half asleep Canucks? 

Spot on. They needed something only Schenn can provide... so eone to wake them up from their slumber...

They don't have that. Still Pee Wee Canucks

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Fight 1:  Zach Hammer!

Fight 2:  I thought Johnstone was looking for a hug fest, but NO!  Took on one of the toughest in the league and won; Level Up.

Should still have Zach and Jonah.  Big, tough guys, who can play with better players.  Like when we had guys like Hunter and Momesso.  Need these players.  It's game that allows bare knuckle fighting.  Rare breed of player who can both play and fight.  

3 hours ago, grandmaster said:

There was too much talk about how great he and his line was before the game. His line mates were also -3. 

Petey definitely had a bad game and I would put QH as the next guy that struggled the most. That was a brutal giveaway to OV in the first to put them down right at the start.

Petey needs to spend less time reading CDC about how great he is and spend more time in the gym getting bigger and stronger. Dude needs to gain at least 10 pounds of muscle. 

So the team was just back from a tough road trip, had to contend with the wife, kids, dog and probably start Christmas shopping--so many distractions.

My biggest beef with this team is it's inability to make their home rink their own. Every team must love coming to Vancouver because they get to play their style and push the Nucks around. Washington intimidated/played the Nucks perfectly.

If the team still behaves like minor leaguers, put them in a Hotel in Surrey until they change their lackadaisical ways at home. And please, get some fast muscle to balance the line-up and get a good draft position. Make a 2 year plan to fix the D. Less than 500 at home is brutal.

• There it is 1

28 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey needs to spend less time reading CDC about how great he is and spend more time in the gym getting bigger and stronger. Dude needs to gain at least 10 pounds of muscle. 

Nah. Might end up like Brock Boeser 

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The most frustrating part about this team is that we can finally score consistently yet we’re so anchored down with bad contracts to fix the D.

If we could dump Myers, Garland, Boeser, and Pearson and lose the dead buyout cap hits we’d have around 20 million to fix the D. Think about what we could do with two extra 7 million dollar D men AND another 6 million dollar D man…

I was taking a look at Capfriendly the other day and man, it doesn't look good.   We desperately need to dump cap and we'll be lucky to not have to pay for it.   We definitely need to take advantage of desperate teams during the trade deadline.  Will management do it though is another question.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yeah I looked back at the ufa's when we signed LE and spent 2nd's like drunk teenagers. And two that stuck out were Helm and Shattenkirk. Who have been contributing ever since. Lower price guys. Our 2nd's were thrown down the wishing well too when LE struggled. 

Imagine if we could have paid the twins 12M 4.5M 4.5M and saved our picks. Grabbed Helm and Shattenkirk and build from there. Build around Bo and not around the twins.

We paid the twins 21.8% of the cap at age 33 lol.   More than their previous 5 year deal that started at 21.5ish%.    Back then my brother said let the Sedins walk and rebuild around Kesler.    Right now, Miller just scored 99 points and Horvat could become the first 50ish goal scorer since Naslund  .We should be able to get them both for far less.   By year 5 their cap hit is likely around 15% combined, leaving enough room for another 8 plus million dollar player.    Imagine if the Sedins did sign for 5 instead of 7 for sure.   Like Edler, they just collected paycheques and winning a cup wasn't on their to do list.

Edit:  Not really his fault - lock out and all of that, but Naslunds cap was 13.6% back then.   Perspective matters.    Horvat and Miller at 8 each isn't a problem.    It's actually a boon.   Hope Horvat also leaves money on the table, and also isn't just doing this now because his contract is up.   We'd need both those things for this group to have a decent shot.   Then we could pay to add a legit top four D (UFA), the other one we need to come via a hockey trade.    It's all this team needs to do to separate themselves from the pack. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

This is kinda a cheap shot but here goes. In the clips last night of the Philly-Islander game Big Mac had a feature bout as he tangled with an Islander after a hit. Big Mac stepped in and adjusted the thinking and Philly went on to a victory. Big Mac is playing 13-15 minutes a game, scoring some points and is obviously a Torts fav. 

I bring this up as, IMHO, that is what Vancouver needed last night in a big way. To a degree the Caps were doing just that. They hit EP40 a couple of times and Martin was bumped as well. Not outrageous but wouldn't some physical push back helped to motivate and juice the half asleep Canucks? 

Those were my thoughts exactly when I posted the Philly bouts last night in this thread Bouds, thank you..

perhaps we can package something that brings Reaves here in the future, even after his latest move, he should be considered a valuable asset to Teams like ours with the likes of developing players like Podz Kuz EP Hogz Hughes and others.

hell , I’d trade Boeser for him tonight if I could.

Reaves can actually play damn good hockey when given the opportunity with other skaters.

would not hurt to have 4 dudes on our 4th line, sharing a night off every three games would keep them healthy.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Should still have Zach and Jonah.  Big, tough guys, who can play with better players.  Like when we had guys like Hunter and Momesso.  Need these players.  It's game that allows bare knuckle fighting.  Rare breed of player who can both play and fight.  

Hunter and Momesso are a bit of a stretch to compare these two to but i totally agree with your point. The two former Canucks had paid their dues and repaid with good careers, Zach and Jonah need about 5 years each before they are in the Hunter Momesso category. 

Yes Vancouver needs more of exactly what you state.

Last night this team managed to fall flat when a lot was at stake. This team simply can't arise to simple consistent drive. We need more team toughness but there's not enough drive from player like Miller for starters. Disappointing night from people that are supposed to make the difference. 

If people thought a three games won in a row and just out of a playoff spot is a big deal it isn't. What's a big deal is this team isn't in a firm playoff spot with all the off season expectation. 

Change is still in the works I'm sure and I'm sure they're looking at exactly what you state. 

15 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

I was taking a look at Capfriendly the other day and man, it doesn't look good.   We desperately need to dump cap and we'll be lucky to not have to pay for it.   We definitely need to take advantage of desperate teams during the trade deadline.  Will management do it though is another question.

Most teams are at or near the cap.   Our only real problem is we are approaching a time that guys will start getting claused up.   Right now it's only OEL.   Myers to a degree but not really.   Milers deal is absolutely fine despite the overreactions by some so far.   Our issue is we don't have enough quality defenseman.   And that Demko is struggling.   We have more than enough weapons to put the puck in the net.   On pace to surpass both the Sedin and WCE era.    And that's with hardly any goals from our D lol.   QHs is the new Duncan Keith minus the triathlete, ability to defend and the dick vibe.   All assists.   Which is OK as long as the other part is mitigated - thank you Lord Schenn, for bringing the old school with you!  

Thing is - what to do next.    Boeser and Garland aren't really cap dumps - but one has to go to make money available for our D.   And most likely any trade that includes either - is a player for player type swap.    

GMs knew it's very likely caps going up before we were notified.   Likely 4-5 this off season (Bettman's own words, they recovered 500 million above projections last season... which made a lot of last summers deals make a lot more sense).   

It's all about cap percentage.   We should completely ignore anything but that.   It's ok to spend 18.9% to start on both Horvat and Miller - by the time they are 32-34, their cap hit will be around 15% combined - and probably still scoring 60 points each.    JR said he wants  long term stability, with guys in the same lines.   7-8 years lol - can't get much better than that.   Both guys are bulls.   By the time they move down the depth chart, EP will be the man blowing doors off with maybe Kuzmo, or someone else.  

Vedder has one thing right.   Brock is the guy we need to move - but i don't agree with him  on the player (and won't ever even if he scored zero points, it's not polite to treat any player like that)  ... His cap is needed.    So is Myers.   12 plus is enough to get us started.    Brock retained ... is a lot easier to move.   We won't be competing for a cup right away - but these guys need playoffs and they need to make a decision soon enough. 

For me management needs to shit of get off the pot.   Either trade Horvat and whomever else - or sign the guy and bite the bullet with this team going for it, and back that up.    Devon Toews ... wouldn't we freak the F out if TWO whole seconds, we're spent to get a good top four D?   Lol.   Sakic sure didnt.    

Seconds.   Firsts.    Team needs to either make it work around Miller, Demko, Horvat EP and QHs,  and make the trades to help our D - or just pull the plug and tank for a couple years for the future.    Nashville needs scoring.   What would a trade with Miller attached look like?     Miller isn't an impossible asset to trade either.   Only 5.35 on the books this year.   Any team that feels they are close but needs some LW/C helps would consider him.  

They can deal with the consequences in the off season.   Retain 50% on Miller this year  that opens a lot of doors does it not!   Maybe mll can help with that one.    

We either need to finish what JB started (seems to me that's what they are doing anyways... aside from some fringe stuff to become perfectly cap complaint ... yippee!), or drop a hand grenade into the room like Keenan did with Messier.  

Tired of half measures.   And before anyone cry's about EP wanting to leave, well Linden did a heck of a lot more then EP did by his age didn't he?