The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Washington Capitals at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 29, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

49 minutes ago, stawns said:

I know we share the same frustration that a pretty easy solution was right in front of them and not only did they not grab it, they actually made the situation worse 

I do think they've made some good moves, but nothing that tilts the balance the other way.  I don't have much faith that this group can capably right the ship

You said it brother. It's maddening really :unsure: 

This situation just reminds me of when I was in my 20's sitting at the bar across the street complaining to the bartender about how life is so difficult, and unfair, and why am I so broke all the time as he hands me a $170 bar tab on a Tuesday at 1:45 am. Well duh ... I figured it out but JR is 73 f@&king years old.

This year would have actually been fun if we traded Miller. We could have a young team fighting together for playoffs or relevancy. Like they are now this season would be a good/fair result so far for a young group. Watching Kuzmenko and Petey grow together, maybe a young right D in the system, maybe some prospects, maybe a 3C, maybe some (hark) draft capital, and $8 mil in cap space to fix the D, resign our 50 goal Captain, etc. But nope, we gave that all away.

Now we're back here hoping we can trade Boeser for a re-incarnation of Chris Chelios.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

You said it brother. It's maddening really :unsure: 

This situation just reminds me of when I was in my 20's sitting at the bar across the street complaining to the bartender about how life is so difficult, and unfair, and why am I so broke all the time as he hands me a $170 bar tab on a Tuesday at 1:45 am. Well duh ... I figured it out but JR is 73 f@&king years old.

This year would have actually been fun if we traded Miller. We could have a young team fighting together for playoffs or relevancy. Like they are now this season would be a good/fair result so far for a young group. Watching Kuzmenko and Petey grow together, maybe a young right D in the system, maybe some prospects, maybe a 3C, maybe some (hark) draft capital, and $8 mil in cap space to fix the D, etc. But nope, we gave that all away.

Now we're back here hoping we can trade Boeser for a re-incarnation of Chris Chelios.

Tell it to our owner.  He is the one not allowing any rebuilding moves.  

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Not directed at you really but I'm getting so so very tired of hearing this now. For 5+ years now posters keep saying we can just move this guy, move that guy, sign that guy and voila ... top team, problems solved. Yet every year it's more of the same. Fringe moves, up against the cap, no problems fixed, and failure. 

It's not as easy to make all these moves people want, and less chance management actually does that. For this reason I just want to start making smart moves for the future instead of always just spending recklessly (Miller) to ensure we have a mediocre team.

The one that killed me was Dickinson, how the hell did he not get waived or go to Abby?! 

13 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'd like a DiGuseppe or Lockwood in for Dries. More energy more push back. 

We need more grit. 

I like Di Giuseppe's game a lot too...  He keeps things simple and got lots of speed and grit. But for whatever reason he just doesn't get any love from coaches... He can't be any worse than say Dries or Joshua!! 

3 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

I like Di Giuseppe's game a lot too...  He keeps things simple and got lots of speed and grit. But for whatever reason he just doesn't get any love from coaches... He can't be any worse than say Dries or Joshua!! 

Dries!

DiGuseppe is just a great Italian Canadian kid that needs a chance! 

Not fancy. Just a straight forward player! We got tons of east west guys, WE NEED ANOTHER NORTH SOUTH GUY. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

To be fair, he didn't earn any love from coaches. By all reports, he had a terrible training camp and preseason. There were multiple reports coming out about him looking complacent and not putting in the necessary effort to make the team.

Dries fills a different need for the team, being a more offensively focused player who plays C. If you think DiG is an equal player to Joshua, I simply don't know what to tell ya.

Joshua is second on the team in hits, is easily this teams best forechecker, and is quite frankly underrated offensively. He may only have 5 points on the season, but when ever he's on the ice the puck seems to be working it's way towards the other ends net. For a 4th line player that's a very underrated ability. I have been very impressed with Joshua and I can see why this management team targeted him specifically.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

In all fairness to JR he did acquire the players needed to have a proper top line and 4th line. Kuzmenko and Mikheyev were both acquired for zero assets and now play with Petey on the first line. Joshua, Åman and Lazar all were acquired for free as well to make up an entire brand new 4th line that is playing well. 

Fixing two complete lines for free by adding 5 new players was a great piece of business. 

The problem now is what to do with the 2nd and 3rd lines. We don’t have a traditional 3rd checking line with good penalty killers and our 2C is a UFA in the summer. 

Then there is the defence. That long term partner for Hughes is still needed.  And we could use one more shutdown Dman. 

I have confidence that Demko will find his game so not too worried about our goalies. 

I agree with @IBatch  Either we tear this thing down to the studs and rebuild from scratch or we re-sign BO and acquire the missing pieces needed to be a playoff contender. No in between fixes. 

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

The one that killed me was Dickinson, how the hell did he not get waived or go to Abby?! 

It was a fun numbers excise for the AGM's to get a perfect LTIR score. These morons thought they could just fix everything this year without putting in any hard work or decisions. Hey it only cost us a second and a third for the first perfect score ever, and everyone knows draft picks take time to develop so they're beyond useless.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It was a fun numbers excise for the AGM's to get a perfect LTIR score. These morons thought they could just fix everything this year without putting in any hard work or decisions. Hey it only cost us a second and a third for the first perfect score ever, and everyone knows draft picks take time to develop so they're beyond useless.

I feel like our GMs have been trading draft picks like politicians spend tax dollars…

Let the next guy deal with it, we won’t be in power anyways.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I feel like our GMs have been trading draft picks like politicians spend tax dollars…

Let the next guy deal with it, we won’t be in power anyways.

Take a little good news where we can - next year we have an extra 4th rd pick from the Motte trade but no 7th rd to complete the OEL & Garland trade. 
Then in 2024 no 2nd rd from Stillman/Dickinson. That’s everything left on our board so if JR & PA were fired today the next guy wouldn’t be too bad off, at the moment.

There are actually a fair number of teams that have traded away more picks farther into the future than us, granted some of them have more to show for it.

www.prosportstransactions.com › hockey › DraftTrades