Canucks Community

[PGT] Washington Capitals at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 29, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I guess people just don't care anymore.

I mean half of my posts in these PGT these days are just GIFs 

Ice Hockey Sport GIF by Carolina Hurricanes

Tbh is there much to be said after that game, that isn't covered elsewhere?

Apathy starts to set in... if we lose a few more see CDC explode again. 

PS. Thank god for the GIF laughs as otherwise reading these pages, would make you suicidal. 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 3

8 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Tbh is there much to be said after that game, that isn't covered elsewhere?

Apathy starts to set in... if we lose a few more see CDC explode again. 

PS. Thank god for the GIF laughs as otherwise reading these pages, would make you suicidal. 

that's what I am here for :towel:

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How do expansion teams become cup contenders seemingly overnight, while the Canucks spend decades trying to do the same thing?

Seattle bulked up on defenseman, a lot of good big sized guys. And they grabbed a lot of solid 2nd and 3rd line guys. They started off slow bit now they're gelling. 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Kirk MacLean probably the slice of Swiss in that Clubhouse.

Richard  Broduer was Gretzky's favourite slice of Swiss cheese.   I remember Gretzky's 802 goal like it was yesterday...suppose the same way 21ish year olds will remember Ovi's eventual record breaking 895th, in 2055ish ...  Howe had been following him around for a few games lol.    And every game prior I was hoping he'd score.    It was an incredible play - Oiler like how they intercepted in their zone (Courtnall?) a nice play up the neutral zone, Gretzky had the puck dishes it to Marty who was pinching deep, McLean played the shooter like he should, perfect pass back through bodies back to Gretzky and in.    LA went nuts.   They stopped the game and celebrated right there.    Glad he did it on home ice at least.    But it was a special moment in hockey history, and don't mind that we are connected to it. 

Gretzky scored like he did hundred's of times before, basically assisting on his own play... most of LA touched the puck before he put it in.   Great 8 is very special too.   Completely different player.   Agree with Phil Esposito, until Ovi passes Gretzky, he's the best goal scorer all-time.    Mario, Bossy and Gretzky however, won't ever get passed for how many goals they scored their first 800 or ten years in the league, the same way all of Orr's records won't be beaten.    Ovi is amazing, like Bobby Hull.. Longevity and doesn't seem to age.   949ish  pro goals including his AHL (Gretzky), Hull and Howe also eclipsing the 900 goal mark.    AHL was very close to the same as NHL back then.   They proved that in a tournament.  

Original six ... Expansion created a ton of new jobs, an huge group of young talent came in,  and scoring went  bananas. The 21ish team league was the sweet spot - all the best together at once, with enough tier down players to keep scoring up and playing tough mostly honest hockey.   Then the league watered its self down so bad, that obstruction and neutral zone trap was the best way to hold down the stars from shining bright (and cost stars like Mario, Lindros and Bure longevity to a certain degree).    Lockout was a must.   Game was just not nearly as good as it used to be.    Obstruction had become institutionalized, and goons galore instead of actual enforcers - the code wasn't working anymore.    Boogard, Parker, Worrel, Twist etc  and a dozen or so other guys didn't belong in the league.   Certainly weren't McSorely, Probert, Williams, Wolfman types.  Even those 70's Flyers could also play hockey.     4 mins a game types were a result of expansion in the 90's.   Sure at times it was entertaining, but it no longer was about code, it became about one player taking on another as a sideshow.   Used to be an enforcers had a purpose, fighting a big part of it for sure, but it kept the lumber out of the game.   As soon as the lockout was over and those guys died away, all the players started breaking each others fingers with wicked slashes.   Crosby got his hands slashed so he slashed back - almost separated Methot's finger clean off.   League had to have a special meeting to crack down on that sort of stuff, which before would have meant an entire team would retaliate.   Like Gillies said "Had 99's back to me several times, but didn't take the hit because if i did then i knew i'd be dealing with Semenko, Messier and their entire team forever there on out"   .... too bad Crosby didn't have that, otherwise he'd of had a couple more trophies in his case, and a shot at 2000 points himself. 

32 teams now and the talent is finally catching up.   The 2000's were simply awful after 3 decades of exciting hockey.    Things have finally gone full circle.  For that i'm very grateful.   We lost 5-1 ... no biggie move on to the next one.   And happy Ovi broke a record even though i didn't know that was a record people track lol.    My morning history lesson ... thanks to all you CDCers for hanging in there with this team too.   Sure one day, we won't be bridesmaids anymore.   Next crack at the final ... it's got to be our turn right? 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Seattle bulked up on defenseman, a lot of good big sized guys. And they grabbed a lot of solid 2nd and 3rd line guys. They started off slow bit now they're gelling. 

You bet.   Not sure it's for real yet...but like Vegas (their first couple seasons), they are showing that depth matters.   And they are a deep team, not cap strapped (yet) with star power.    Teams need those 3-5 million dollar guys , often you get the most bang for the buck in that range.   Tanev and Toffoli examples of UFAs ... Dunn, McAan etc.  Give those guys first unit PP time and often they get a big bump.    What would you rather have - two JT Millers at 5.35, or ONE Rantanen and an AHLer?   If a 3.2 million dollar guy scores 32 points ... like say Pearson ...  probably all 5 x 5 ... well EP would have to score 73 or so to match.   Of course goals also weigh higher ... a 20 goal scorer making 4 or less is great value.   Excellent actually.   Again probably all 5 x 5 too.   Not many 40 goal scorers in the league period, and not sure how many are only making 8 million.    Personally don't believe Seattle is this good though.   But i could be wrong.   Bernier looks to be the real deal. 

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey was -5 tonight.  WOW...   :sadno:

There was too much talk about how great he and his line was before the game. His line mates were also -3. 

Petey definitely had a bad game and I would put QH as the next guy that struggled the most. That was a brutal giveaway to OV in the first to put them down right at the start.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

You bet.   Not sure it's for real yet...but like Vegas (their first couple seasons), they are showing that depth matters.   And they are a deep team, not cap strapped (yet) with star power.    Teams need those 3-5 million dollar guys , often you get the most bang for the buck in that range.   Tanev and Toffoli examples of UFAs ... Dunn, McAan etc.  Give those guys first unit PP time and often they get a big bump.    What would you rather have - two JT Millers at 5.35, or ONE Rantanen and an AHLer?   If a 3.2 million dollar guy scores 32 points ... like say Pearson ...  probably all 5 x 5 ... well EP would have to score 73 or so to match.   Of course goals also weigh higher ... a 20 goal scorer making 4 or less is great value.   Excellent actually.   Again probably all 5 x 5 too.   Not many 40 goal scorers in the league period, and not sure how many are only making 8 million.    Personally don't believe Seattle is this good though.   But i could be wrong.   Bernier looks to be the real deal. 

Yeah I looked back at the ufa's when we signed LE and spent 2nd's like drunk teenagers. And two that stuck out were Helm and Shattenkirk. Who have been contributing ever since. Lower price guys. Our 2nd's were thrown down the wishing well too when LE struggled. 

Imagine if we could have paid the twins 12M 4.5M 4.5M and saved our picks. Grabbed Helm and Shattenkirk and build from there. Build around Bo and not around the twins.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Vintage 1