The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Boeser to Long Island

Boeser's rumoured to be on the block, maybe he even asked for asked. Either way, seems inevitable he gets a change of scenery. 

To NYI:

Brock Boeser

2023 3rd

To Van:

Josh Bailey

2024 2nd 

Bailey has one more season remaining after this season at 5M. We free up cap space a year sooner and acquire a 2nd for management to trade away for another project. If Bailey bounces back next season you retain 50% and flip him for assets. 

The Isles get a winger who may be able to provide scoring from the wing in a different environment. Bailey hasn't looked good for them this season. 

Maybe we get a bit more, maybe we give up a lower pick, I don't think this is far off though. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Not everyone will agree with me but I think Brock does have value. I predict a 2nd rounder and a B grade prospect. Cap coming back most likely. 

He may have struggled the past year but his career stats speak for themself and I think a few teams would take a chance on Brock. His cap hit is right in line with his career. It was only 2 years ago in the Covid season he was arguably our best player, He’s only 25

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Sad to see Boeser turning from AllStar MVP to having next to 0 value... 

This organization really sucks at value management if you view it this way. Because it is not only Boeser, so many of our guys have not been able to generate trade value even though they have the history to back it up. 

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

This organization really sucks at value management if you view it this way. Because it is not only Boeser, so many of our guys have not been able to generate trade value even though they have the history to back it up. 

How's this the organizations fault? If there's no trade value, there's no trade value. Did the organization know his production would fall off a cliff?

Are they supposed to see into the future?

33 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How's this the organizations fault? If there's no trade value, there's no trade value. Did the organization know his production would fall off a cliff?

Are they supposed to see into the future?

Uh.. so you have trouble grasping the concept of value management?

Value management is part of the management's job.. If you let something at a high point (Boeser being AllStar MVP), sit there, rot until the value drops to 0. How's that not the management's fault? 

You need some examples? How about one close to us? Dallas saw through Dickinson as a player, didn't want to re-sign him at the cap he can get through arbitration, sells him to us for a 3rd. Same thing Minnesota, didn't see Fiala as part of their core going forward, unloads him to LA for a nice haul. Now that's value management and this organization lacks it. 

This looks like a reasonable basis for a deal.  NYI looks to have rebounded defensively this season with Sorokin also playing lights out - so maybe time for them to look at making an adjustment up front and adding a goal scorer to play with Barzal.  Barzal has mostly been playing with Wahlstrom and Bailey (followed by Parise) at 5v5 per Natural Stat Trick.

Lamoriello did say that he wanted to make a hockey trade up front - a F for F but that he didn't find anything that made sense.  Just wonder what NYI think about his skating - same division as NJD who is giving teams a fit with their speed.  NYI not a fast team in general but maybe that's not a concern.

The Canucks could even buy out Bailey - he has a 2.66M cap hit in year 1 and 1.1M in year 2.  Would cost 2.3M in actual dollars vs paying Boeser another 13.3M and clears about 4M in cap space for next season and keeps the roster spot open.

I think its a few things compounding for Brock.

1) his personal life, (duke being ill and passing) has been extremely difficult to process and work through. Not being able to see his father through pandemic. This clearly affected his on ice play. 

2) injuries.

3) the canuck organization has been chaotic the last 3 years (or longer depending how you assess it).
i know they’re supposed to be professionals and expected to deal with it, but truth is, we’re all human.  Brock is a very young man and the compilation of events in his life and young career, have definitely impacted his performance.  
i think a new city and team will help him will help rejuvenate his career.   

14 hours ago, Devron said:

Not everyone will agree with me but I think Brock does have value. I predict a 2nd rounder and a B grade prospect. Cap coming back most likely. 

He may have struggled the past year but his career stats speak for themself and I think a few teams would take a chance on Brock. His cap hit is right in line with his career. It was only 2 years ago in the Covid season he was arguably our best player, He’s only 25

I think cap coming back from Boeser is inevitable and those hoping for a Boeser trade should probably resign themselves to that. 

I think he's a buy low candidate for another team, I don't see anyone doing us any favours. I think something along the lines of what I proposed is doable though, with the other team banking on him performing better for them a bit. 

14 hours ago, Drakrami said:

I don't think it's that drastic, but I do think we probably end up selling on the lower end. He was traded him leading up to last season's deadline I think we'd probably have gotten better value, although that'd have likely involved allowing another team to negotiate an extension of their own with Boeser's camp imo. 

7 hours ago, mll said:

This looks like a reasonable basis for a deal.  NYI looks to have rebounded defensively this season with Sorokin also playing lights out - so maybe time for them to look at making an adjustment up front and adding a goal scorer to play with Barzal.  Barzal has mostly been playing with Wahlstrom and Bailey (followed by Parise) at 5v5 per Natural Stat Trick.

Lamoriello did say that he wanted to make a hockey trade up front - a F for F but that he didn't find anything that made sense.  Just wonder what NYI think about his skating - same division as NJD who is giving teams a fit with their speed.  NYI not a fast team in general but maybe that's not a concern.

The Canucks could even buy out Bailey - he has a 2.66M cap hit in year 1 and 1.1M in year 2.  Would cost 2.3M in actual dollars vs paying Boeser another 13.3M and clears about 4M in cap space for next season and keeps the roster spot open.

I think NYI could get more out of him, I also think Boeser will provide better longevity than Bailey does for them. He's also on a shorter term deal, if it doesn't work out they can flip him later or let him walk. They don't give up a ton of value either, just cap flex a year sooner and a single round downgrade. 

I think speed is a valid concern though, I'm not sure I've got an answer for that though. I see this is a lower risk trade option for them though, particularly with them getting a medium round pick back in return for their second round pick. 

JR has a rep for making fair trades, I think my proposal is pretty fair to both sides. Which is important because you're not gonna rob Lou. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Linden said:

I think its a few things compounding for Brock.

1) his personal life, (duke being ill and passing) has been extremely difficult to process and work through. Not being able to see his father through pandemic. This clearly affected his on ice play. 

2) injuries.

3) the canuck organization has been chaotic the last 3 years (or longer depending how you assess it).
i know they’re supposed to be professionals and expected to deal with it, but truth is, we’re all human.  Brock is a very young man and the compilation of events in his life and young career, have definitely impacted his performance.  
i think a new city and team will help him will help rejuvenate his career.   

There's a lot that goes into it, sure. I do think he could benefit from a change of scenery. 

• There it is 1

Bailey would be helpful in a Swiss Army knife, versatile/ defensive forward role.  That being said, I wonder if Beauvillier could be a more realistic option IMO.  The Islanders expected him to break out offensively and he's been in the top-6 but remains inconsistent in scoring.  He is also younger and may fit better in Vancouver after having his own change of scenery, say on a north-south kind of line alongside Miller and Bo.  

On 12/4/2022 at 6:46 AM, Drakrami said:

Uh.. so you have trouble grasping the concept of value management?

Value management is part of the management's job.. If you let something at a high point (Boeser being AllStar MVP), sit there, rot until the value drops to 0. How's that not the management's fault? 

You need some examples? How about one close to us? Dallas saw through Dickinson as a player, didn't want to re-sign him at the cap he can get through arbitration, sells him to us for a 3rd. Same thing Minnesota, didn't see Fiala as part of their core going forward, unloads him to LA for a nice haul. Now that's value management and this organization lacks it. 

It's on Brock.   He's the player.    Management bridged him when many fans wanted a long term deal - then because of a global pandemic, next management forced to bridge him again or let him walk to free agency.   Both times the player (Brock) was given a chance based on what he'd done.   I have zero issue with Kuzmenko or Mikheyev or even Garland making it harder for him.    That bridge was a pretty safe bet (first one).   Second one ... not as safe.   In the end it's not the end of the world either.   A second a roster player back and the cap space after this season isn't so terrible.  

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Not bad.  

take out the third.  

make the pick back a conditional one, as Brock could explode playing shotgun with Barzal, playoffs, etc…

So who goes next? 

we still have a long jam at wing… Pearson or Garland? 

We only need one of Brock or Garland traded for now anyways.