The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 03, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

27 minutes ago, Neutral said:

SO paying a player who was ppg for 3 years since arriving in Vancouver doesn't warrant 8m but a guy with one 60pt season deserves to be paid the same or more? I get the Canucks probably should have tried to sign Horvat first but is it really a surprise to fans to see the Canucks seemingly do a poor job managing their assets...not to me been a trend here for years, never liked the President and GM they hired and so far looks to be a bad choice. They could have made a trade to get a rhd like Marino but chose not too and now have a glut of wingers with big salaries no team is in a hurry to help us offload for fair value.

With the Canucks, it is what it is and we as fans cheer for them every game they play and hope eventually we will make better choices with the roster

Jr pa had up to July 2 2023 to further evaluate miller. And had as much time to look at horvats numbers if that was their visual evaluation judged on performance.? And it wouldn’t have taken a mathematician to figure out horvats proven consistent  record up against miller’s  but let’s not factor in horvats loyalties or age !!!! Or attitude  lmfao  CB129354-846F-4676-ADFC-DE03DA8BCFC6.thumb.jpeg.1becf1637d8c794779fbe71367551efc.jpegBF3462C0-EA2B-4377-9361-F04BD1D344EA.thumb.jpeg.8acdccf6c3698427b09eae589cb63dcf.jpeg

Edited by chon derry

34 minutes ago, jyu said:

Or just do a patient rebuild and stock up on good players.

Horvat should get us some young prospects back. Draft well this year and the next couple of years.

This team needs some high end prospects to right the ship. Petey is good but not enough. We need one more guy to take on the scoring.

I think Hughes' defensive miscues are fixable. His ability with the puck is not something that can be taught.

..so trade the guy with 19 goals on pace for over 60 and find someone to take on the scoring...:lol: :frantic:

I know we struggle on d but honestly, in watching Quinn with the puck...that guy's agility and ability to move the puck is quite outstanding. His quick turns and how he keeps the puck on his stick while doing so really stands out to me lately. I know he can't out muscle guys but he sure can out maneuver them, even when they appear to be right on top of him...one quick move and he's free.

I'm glad Brock showed up like he did...I think the message has been sent. 

Congrats to Schenn....what a beast. I'm glad he's getting some love, not only from our fanbase but the league.  He, JT and Lazar all with 6 hits last night...I feel like upping the physicality helps this team. Not only to send a message but to stay fully engaged.

Miller and Bo...that duo has to stay intact for me to remain happy in this life.

Petey...what's left to say? He is just making huge strides this year and I love his work ethic.

I also love silly stuff....sorry not sorry.

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Schenn is not the future, but he'll be fine as a 6-7th Dman. Need somebody to show the young boys the ropes. 
He has been gold for QHs development. 

They'll likely be keeping most of the roster

47 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Very well said.   US player examples but if the shoe fits.    Which it does.   Canucks need to do what Quin did to a certain degree, which is bring in some BC good old Canadian boys.    Guys that have more of a vested interest.   Adams, Ronning, Courtnall ... even Dirk.  

Would Bo be one of those?

23 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Jr pa had up to July 2 2023 to further evaluate miller. And had as much time to look at horvats numbers if that was their visual evaluation judged on performance.? And it wouldn’t have taken a mathematician to figure out horvats proven consistent  record up against miller’s  but let’s not factor in horvats loyalties or age !!!! Or attitude  lmfao  CB129354-846F-4676-ADFC-DE03DA8BCFC6.thumb.jpeg.1becf1637d8c794779fbe71367551efc.jpegBF3462C0-EA2B-4377-9361-F04BD1D344EA.thumb.jpeg.8acdccf6c3698427b09eae589cb63dcf.jpeg

I appreciate your opinion but there's also something more to consider...physicality. Matters (at least to me). Our team has been flagged as easy to play against and it's important to change that. Schenn and Miller lead the way in that.

Don't get me wrong, I want to keep JT and Bo but hit stats are quite different between the two:

JT over the past 4 years: 55-172-90-124 for a total of 440

Bo over the past 4 years: 16-96-64-66 for a total of 231

Faceoffs also matter and we know Bo gives us the best in that department.

But it's more than meets the eye....losing JT's physical edge would set us back again and we'd likely be much easier to play against. People don't really factor that part in as much as they should. They see JT with lazy plays and think he's lazy but a guy crashing and banging out there is pretty much not.

GP also matters.

13 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I appreciate your opinion but there's also something more to consider...physicality. Matters (at least to me). Our team has been flagged as easy to play against and it's important to change that. Schenn and Miller lead the way in that.

Don't get me wrong, I want to keep JT and Bo but hit stats are quite different between the two:

JT over the past 4 years: 55-172-90-124 for a total of 440

Bo over the past 4 years: 16-96-64-66 for a total of 231

Faceoffs also matter and we know Bo gives us the best in that department.

But it's more than meets the eyes....losing JT's physical edge would set us back again and we'd likely be much easier to play against.

I’ve never suggested they  get rid of miller but locking up horvat first should have been a priority. You could go with fan popularity, age, attitude , point consistency ,2 way game.  sorry I keep coming up with horvat. 

Edited by chon derry

Only CDC complains we have 4 players at or above a point a game. 

ZOMG Miller, who is on pace for 82 points. 

Petey is on pace for 95 Points

Horvat 85 points 

Hughes is on pace for 89-90 points. 

Our top guys are fine. Our defence is the problem. I really like Bruce, but the defensive system on this team sucks. I'm still hesitant to pin that all on Bruce.

I'm pinning a lot on our lacklustre assistant coaches. 

We would have to offload some struggling forwards and or defensemen to clear salary and try to improve our defence, and perhaps have some bigger, faster more defensive forwards. We can't wave a magic wand and trade Brock for a RHD d-man. (Unless it's a reclamation project.) Benning painted the team into a corner. It's going to be tough for PA to fix the mess. 

I bet if we let both Brock and JT walk last summer people would have been screaming for management's heads on a plate. 

• Cheers 1

Arizona          $ 17,552,331

Vancouver      $                 0

Cap space

Horvat       $5,500,000

Miller         $5,250,000

Brock        $6,650,000= $17,400,000

Yay, they beat the Coyotes; in ot.:rolleyes:

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Absolutly... he's shot is still leathal, but his overall play has not been up to the standard required for our style of play. 

Was such a stud his rookie year,,,big goals, stood out in the all star game. Never really seemed the same after the back injury

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

They'll likely be keeping most of the roster

I truly hope not....

This trying a little of this and trying a little of that, just doesn't get us much. 

We all agree, we need better D, but its not just the D that needs to be better. 
Out offensive players are pretty poor on the D side of things, which becomes evindent on the PK, but even 5v5 they make bone headed plays again and again. 

I may definitely be wrong, but I think by little twists and turns are just going to prolong the pain until the inevitable rebuild starts...

Now they have the assets to do a proper rebuild. If the screw around, like they did with Miller, I feel they are backing themselves into a corner. 

Not sure, what they were offered for Miller, but it won't get better thats for sure. 

Brock looks like being shipped out for nada... except capspace....what a waste of an asset. 

Capspace is good, if they don't want to tear it down, but is it enough to turn us into contender?

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Arizona          $ 17,552,331

Vancouver      $                 0

Cap space

Horvat       $5,500,000

Miller         $5,250,000

Brock        $6,650,000= $17,400,000

Yay, they beat the Coyotes; in ot.:rolleyes:

Now THAT's perspective...wow kinda mind blowing

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

Was such a stud his rookie year,,,big goals, stood out in the all star game. Never really seemed the same after the back injury

No it was really a shame... he looked like a top line winger to start with. 
playing with Vanek was magic for him. 

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I truly hope not....

This trying a little of this and trying a little of that, just doesn't get us much. 

We all agree, we need better D, but its not just the D that needs to be better. 
Out offensive players are pretty poor on the D side of things, which becomes evindent on the PK, but even 5v5 they make bone headed plays again and again. 

I may definitely be wrong, but I think by little twists and turns are just going to prolong the pain until the inevitable rebuild starts...

Now they have the assets to do a proper rebuild. If the screw around, like they did with Miller, I feel they are backing themselves into a corner. 

Not sure, what they were offered for Miller, but it won't get better thats for sure. 

Brock looks like being shipped out for nada... except capspace....what a waste of an asset. 

Capspace is good, if they don't want to tear it down, but is it enough to turn us into contender?

What's a proper rebuild look like to you?