The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 03, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He'll be 27 in February, he's riding shotgun with likely the most talented center he's ever played with and piling up points, if things continue as they have this season will result in what'll likely be Kuzmenko's greatest single opportunity to cash in on a big money/longer-term contract. I wouldn't expect any discount. 

I've seen some folks argue the opposite but I'm not comfortable throwing huge money and term at a guy with one NHL season to his name. 

Me too. But knowing the Canucks, 8x9 million. Extra 2 million because Kuz has a great smile

• Huggy Bear 2

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He'll be 27 in February, he's riding shotgun with likely the most talented center he's ever played with and piling up points, if things continue as they have this season will result in what'll likely be Kuzmenko's greatest single opportunity to cash in on a big money/longer-term contract. I wouldn't expect any discount. 

I've seen some folks argue the opposite but I'm not comfortable throwing huge money and term at a guy with one NHL season to his name. 

There will be no discount, he will get paid as much as he can and it won’t be until the off-season says his agent. Too risky to go in the off-season with Kuz as a UFA

Kuz and a retained Bo, would have like 10-15 teams bidding.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Ehhh, it'd be very Canucks but I don't think they'll go beyond the deadline with Bo unsigned. I think he'll be moved in January or February, possibly even next month but I'd be surprised. 

Management can't afford to lose him for nothing, it'd be devastating to our future ability to compete and to our ability to build. I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick 9-15 though, I'm sure some folks would much rather end up in no man's land. 

I'd personally flip Kuzmenko to a contender if we're out of it. We'd get a huge haul for him, any team could fit his cap hit in pretty easily. 

Yeah but here's the thing. The one thing that is absolute with the Canucks is that they have zero long term plan.

By following this fact, it is almost 100% guarantee that we will keep Bo past the trade deadline because we would still be 3-5 points away from playoffs. And when our season ends with Bo walking out the door. We are yet again asking ourselves why we are letting assets walk for nothing.

• Huggy Bear 2

6 minutes ago, J-23 said:

There will be no discount, he will get paid as much as he can and it won’t be until the off-season says his agent. Too risky to go in the off-season with Kuz as a UFA

What's your source on the Kuzmenko agent bit? I believe you, I'd just like to read it if possible 

I agree that Bo and Kuzmenko are likely our most appealing trade chips, I argued all summer that we should keep Horvat over Miller but now I believe a Horvat trade is inevitable 

3 minutes ago, swimsWithDucks said:

Yeah but here's the thing. The one thing that is absolute with the Canucks is that they have zero long term plan.

By following this fact, it is almost 100% guarantee that we will keep Bo past the trade deadline because we would still be 3-5 points away from playoffs. And when our season ends with Bo walking out the door. We are yet again asking ourselves why we are letting assets walk for nothing.

It feels that way. They came in saying the right things but I've been skeptical of them since their moves over the summer. 

I hope we don't keep him for what I reckon is a futile hope of making the playoffs and lose him for nothing, that'd really set building the future back a lot. I don't believe it'll happen though but I get what you'd suggest it. I'm hoping they trade him sooner than later if they're going to do it, a Horvat injury could be devastating and I'd rather not tempt fate. 

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

What's your source on the Kuzmenko agent bit? I believe you, I'd just like to read it if possible 

I agree that Bo and Kuzmenko are likely our most appealing trade chips, I argued all summer that we should keep Horvat over Miller but now I believe a Horvat trade is inevitable 

It feels that way. They came in saying the right things but I've been skeptical of them since their moves over the summer. 

I hope we don't keep him for what I reckon is a futile hope of making the playoffs and lose him for nothing, that'd really set building the future back a lot. I don't believe it'll happen though but I get what you'd suggest it. I'm hoping they trade him sooner than later if they're going to do it, a Horvat injury could be devastating and I'd rather not tempt fate. 

He did an interview with Donnie and Dhali on YouTube. He is also Evander Lane’s agent :lol:

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah but I am already expecting and prepared to get picks #10-15 in this year's draft and watching Horvat walk for nothing.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

I see both sides and I side with you more.

The frustration with “mediocrity”, the no Stanley Cup, the no playoffs for such long stretches, bad contracts, etc have pushed some fans to think this way. 

At the end of the day you are right, draft picks don’t always work out and we definitely are not bad enough to get Bedard. The Ducks, Blackhawks. Coyotes and Blue Jackets have this one locked. 

If we decided to tear down a bit we probably have a shot. We wouldn't be losing intentionally per say, we'd just have a weaker roster from trading folks out. We'd be making moves with the future in mind.

It's what I would do. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

46 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Milstein never said anything to that effect.  He said they will wait until closer to the end of the season so they have more games under their belt to get a more accurate feel of his worth.  He never said no discount, and he didn't say they will wait until the off-season either...

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Milstein never said anything to that effect.  He said they will wait until closer to the end of the season so they have more games under their belt to get a more accurate feel of his worth.  He never said no discount, and he didn't say they will wait until the off-season either...

I'm pretty sure that's a safe assumption though, this is Kuzmenko's chance to cash in. He'll probably never get a better opportunity than after this season if his production continues.

I mean, he sure got Sergachev, Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, and Zaitsev their money, amongst others. https://puckpedia.com/agent/daniel-milstein

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

My bad, it was the end of the season, still that sounds to me like he is going to free agency. That is still too risky for the Canucks. If they deal with Kuz the same way they’ve been dealing with Bo, it’s a wrap.

Also, yes he is going to get paid as much as he can. Which player doesn’t do that. He gave a subtle hints in his interview and his money bag tweet a little unnecessary.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, J-23 said:

My bad, it was the end of the season, still that sounds to me like he is going to free agency. That is still too risky for the Canucks. If they deal with Kuz the same way they’ve been dealing with Bo, it’s a wrap.

Also, yes he is going to get paid as much as he can. Which player doesn’t do that. He gave a subtle hints in his interview and his money bag tweet a little unnecessary.

We don't have money to sign him anyway. 100% trade him at the deadline or before.

30 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm pretty sure that's a safe assumption though, this is Kuzmenko's chance to cash in. He'll probably never get a better opportunity than after this season if his production continues.

I mean, he sure got Sergachev, Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, and Zaitsev their money, amongst others. https://puckpedia.com/agent/daniel-milstein

Of course he will do what's best for his client.  But he also said that Kuzy is very happy here and that he talks to the Canucks almost every day and they have a great relationship...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Of course he will do what's best for his client.  But he also said that Kuzy is very happy here and that he talks to the Canucks almost every day and they have a great relationship...

What else is he going to say? He doesn't like Vancouver and that he doesn't talk to management very often? Even if it's true it's still lip service and doesn't really mean anything. He'd say the same things if Kuzmenko had signed elsewhere. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

If Boeser and Horvat get traded we 100% have the money to re-sign him.  That's what I expect will happen as well.  Petey needs linemates or else he is going to leave too.

I'd not be a fan of that move. management has to stop signing wingers. Especially a guy benefitting from playing with Petey. He's going to want some serious cash which just keeps us running around with our heads cut off. We need defence, and centers, not wingers. Has a real big possibility of blowing up in our face.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Honestly it’d be absurd to expect kuzmenko to take a discount, why would he? He’s been here a few months, and he’s missed several years of nhl earnings. He can, should, and will grab as big a bag as he can, from whichever team is willing to pay him.