The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reduce Reup = Cup [Proposal]

We need to reduce our cap. Re up Bo and Schenn and in the process create a second wave to push this team from pretender to contender. 

The way I see it is this is our core. These are the guys who go to battle and do what it takes to win. 

Miller Bo

Pete Pod

Hughes Schenn

Demko

Support pieces to keep with a high compete level: Garland, Mikheyev, Lazar, Joshua, Aman, Burr, Lockwood. Full credit to JR/PA Joshua, Aman, Lazar is the best 4th line we have had in a long time. All of the payers listed above bring that energy and convey the identity we need to cultivate.

To the trades. 

Kuzmenko to Washington for Hendrix Lapierre. I think Washington will start to make a push as they get healthy IMO. Love Kuzzi the honey moon period is always nice but his tires are pumped and he is playing himself into a contract too rich for what he actually does on the ice. Him playing on Petes wing tapping in goals reminds me of how the Sedins used to make guys like Byron Bitz and Jeff Cowan look like 1st liners keep your stick on the ice and they will find you back door. I doubt he will be worth the price tag of his next contract and I'd rather we let someone else make that mistake let's not get too attached. Lapierre is close to making the jump and has the speed to burn in the NHL the smarts and 2way acumen to drive a 3rd line. With Bo and Pete soaking up the hard mins we can afford to have a  burner 3rd line. 

Brock Boeser to Calgary for Lucic and a 2nd. Calgary loves our cast offs. He would fit well there and they could actually use him in their top 6. We shed the cap and gain a 2nd in a good draft. May I suggest we take a D. I'm not worried about trading Brock in the div. 

IMO even with the loss of Brock and Kuzz we have the depth at fwd to replace them. We draft a lil higher this year and next year I think we either just let Myers and Pearsons clocks run out or retain and try to get assets in return.  

2023/24 Canucks I don't want to see a bunch of off season moves shuffling deck chairs this year I'd like to let this group gel and become a team. If we could afford to sign Gavrikov or Graves after getting Bo Schenn Hog and Bear's extensions done that's the type of thing I would look at. 

Miller Bo Podkolzin

Mikheyev Pete Garland

Hoglander Lapierre Pearson 

Joshua Lazar Aman

Lockwood Dries Karlsson

Hughes Schenn

OEL Bear

Gavrikov/Graves Myers Keep it simple grinding shut down pair.

Burr Dermott (ugh) Stillman 

Maybe if we stop fiddling every offseason we might not start the season 0-10 while players learn the systems. 

2024/25 we have 9+M come off to pay Pete and make real moves to contend. Lapierre, Pod and Hogy will be entering their primes on cheap deals Lekkerimaki might be a player by then or this years 1st?? We open the window! Lets bring Tanev back too!

Edited by hammertime

Contend? Let's try making the playoffs consistently before we worry about contention.. 

That defense still blows. This team needs to do more than stand pat with what it's got and rearrange deck chairs on D. Moving Boeser is a start but this team needs more surgery than that. Moving Kuzmenko is all well and good but we need to move out more than just one significant contract. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, DJSkingz said:

Miller is not an answer. He needs to be moved for us to have any hope at re-tooling this core.

Why? Last I checked he's a PPG power fwd who is signed below market value. Cry me a river about the last 2 years of his contract being a risk. He's worth every penny of his 8m today and then some and will be for the next 5 or so years. At least we aren't over paying some kid because "potential" they never achieve. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Contend? Let's try making the playoffs consistently before we worry about contention.. 

That defense still blows. This team needs to do more than stand pat with what it's got and rearrange deck chairs on D. Moving Boeser is a start but this team needs more surgery than that. Moving Kuzmenko is all well and good but we need to move out more than just one significant contract. 

You know they wont. But if we can move Brock and dodge the Kuzmenko extension like we should have with Brock and Virtanen thats a step towards learning. 

Edited by hammertime

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

You know they wont. But if we can move Brock and dodge the Kuzmenko extension like we should have with Brock thats a step towards learning. 

I've no disagreements with you there. Kuzmenko is a great sell high option, it'd be nice to actually do that for once. 

I think Horvat will probably be the other large contract that goes though, unless management surprises us and ships out Miller. Which I'd totally be down for. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Why? Last I checked he's a PPG power fwd who is signed below market value. Cry me a river about the last 2 years of his contract being a risk. He's worth every penny of his 8m today and then some and will be for the next 5 or so years. At least we aren't over paying some kid because "potential" they never achieve. 

I wouldn't consider Miller a power forward. He is also soft as butter in the defensive zone, makes horrible no look passes that lead to dangerous turnovers and odd man rushes, doesn't backcheck etc.

He certainly has value as an offensive forward and if he can be traded for picks, cap or a prospect I would absolutely pull the trigger. Let someone else have a boat anchor contract in 3-4 years. I do not consider Miller part of this core.

• Cheers 1

We certainly have a plethora of depth and options at F. 

If this MGMT group can somehow retool the D, I like how the team is shaping up. Faster, more skilled and harder to play against. 

It's all moot until Demko rediscovers his game though.

6 hours ago, DJSkingz said:

I wouldn't consider Miller a power forward. He is also soft as butter in the defensive zone, makes horrible no look passes that lead to dangerous turnovers and odd man rushes, doesn't backcheck etc.

He certainly has value as an offensive forward and if he can be traded for picks, cap or a prospect I would absolutely pull the trigger. Let someone else have a boat anchor contract in 3-4 years. I do not consider Miller part of this core.

Miller is 6'1 220 currently 2nd in hits on the team only to Schenn. He threw the bod 172 times last year. He's one of the few players on the team who can gain the offensive blue line with the puck on his stick. Why don't you wait 3-4 years and see before calling his contract a boat anchor because right now today he's worth every penny. 

Edited by hammertime

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Must be awful to be so jaded. Miller is 6'1 220 currently 2nd in hits on the team only to Schenn. He threw the bod 172 times last year. He's one of the few players on the team who can gain the offensive blue line with the puck on his stick. Why don't you wait 3-4 years and see before calling his contract a boat anchor because right now today he's worth every penny. 

The sky is not falling. Stop reading vancouver media click bait. 

I agree that he is worth every penny of his current $5M deal. I don't read Vancouver media; I form my own opinions based on the play on the ice. We shall agree to disagree on Miller. Hope you have an excellent night and Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

We need to reduce our cap. Re up Bo and Schenn and in the process create a second wave to push this team from pretender to contender. 

The way I see it is this is our core. These are the guys who go to battle and do what it takes to win. 

Miller Bo

Pete Pod

Hughes Schenn

Demko

Support pieces to keep with a high compete level: Garland, Mikheyev, Lazar, Joshua, Aman, Burr, Lockwood. Full credit to JR/PA Joshua, Aman, Lazar is the best 4th line we have had in a long time. All of the payers listed above bring that energy and convey the identity we need to cultivate.

To the trades. 

Kuzmenko to Washington for Hendrix Lapierre. I think Washington will start to make a push as they get healthy IMO. Love Kuzzi the honey moon period is always nice but his tires are pumped and he is playing himself into a contract too rich for what he actually does on the ice. Him playing on Petes wing tapping in goals reminds me of how the Sedins used to make guys like Byron Bitz and Jeff Cowan look like 1st liners keep your stick on the ice and they will find you back door. I doubt he will be worth the price tag of his next contract and I'd rather we let someone else make that mistake let's not get too attached. Lapierre is close to making the jump and has the speed to burn in the NHL the smarts and 2way acumen to drive a 3rd line. With Bo and Pete soaking up the hard mins we can afford to have a  burner 3rd line. 

Brock Boeser to Calgary for Lucic and a 2nd. Calgary loves our cast offs. He would fit well there and they could actually use him in their top 6. We shed the cap and gain a 2nd in a good draft. May I suggest we take a D. I'm not worried about trading Brock in the div. 

IMO even with the loss of Brock and Kuzz we have the depth at fwd to replace them. We draft a lil higher this year and next year I think we either just let Myers and Pearsons clocks run out or retain and try to get assets in return.  

2023/24 Canucks I don't want to see a bunch of off season moves shuffling deck chairs this year I'd like to let this group gel and become a team. If we could afford to sign Gavrikov or Graves after getting Bo Schenn Hog and Bear's extensions done that's the type of thing I would look at. 

Miller Bo Podkolzin

Mikheyev Pete Garland

Joshua Lazar Aman

Lockwood Dries Karlsson

Hughes Schenn

OEL Bear

Maybe if we stop fiddling every offseason we might not start the season 0-10 while players learn the systems. 

2024/25 we have 9+M come off to pay Pete and make real moves to contend. Lapierre, Pod and Hogy will be entering their primes on cheap deals Lekkerimaki might be a player by then or this years 1st?? We open the window! Lets bring Tanev back too!

I dont think Podz is ready to have the defensive responsibility of that top line and what comes with it yet personally. Could be wrong though.

Kuzmenko tough to trade. He just fits in so well with Petey and on the PP and although he's not physical or a defensive stud he doesn't seem to hurt us like our other "offensive" wingers do. I would love to keep him but if we cant that would be a nice return. Too bad he's not a righty though.

I am very curious what Studnicka is though and we are going to get an extended look at him at 3C here.

I think the season start was more injury issues and the year before a weird camp with Petey and Hughes not being there.

But I heard you on learning systems and keeping some things constant for stability.

I really want Myers and Pearson gone this offseason though after their bonuses are paid.

7 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I dont think Podz is ready to have the defensive responsibility of that top line and what comes with it yet personally. Could be wrong though.

Kuzmenko tough to trade. He just fits in so well with Petey and on the PP and although he's not physical or a defensive stud he doesn't seem to hurt us like our other "offensive" wingers do. I would love to keep him but if we cant that would be a nice return. Too bad he's not a righty though.

I am very curious what Studnicka is though and we are going to get an extended look at him at 3C here.

I think the season start was more injury issues and the year before a weird camp with Petey and Hughes not being there.

But I heard you on learning systems and keeping some things constant for stability.

I really want Myers and Pearson gone this offseason though after their bonuses are paid.

I think we can do a full dumperoo of Myers after his bonus, but to do a full dumperoo of Pearson will need to wait until the 2024 TDL.  We should be able to full dumperoo Garland and dumperoo five mil (retention of 1.65) on Boeser.  So 10 mil for those two plus the six mil from Myers gives us a full dumperoo of 16 mil.  And we don’t add sugar!  We might even get back a pick or two. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Lot's of great points here. Kuz has been a great fit with Pete he has been a real bright spot this year and those dimples don't stop. All this said he is one of the few who could net a return greater than his actual value and he's about to get paid more than he's worth.

I think you're right on Pod however he was doing great last year with Miller and ideal world you'd love him to learn this role. We won't be competing next year a season of mentorship from Miller Bo could be huge for him realizing his potential. 

I haven't given much thought to Studnika he's been fine doesn't strike me as that game changing 3c on a cup contender but its early days. 

The big one here Myers Pearson if you can retain and get picks/assets back do it. I'm not down with trading any picks to dump them if they play out their contracts here so be it for all the stink that has been made about their contracts there are far worse contracts out there on more competitive teams. Let the clock run out and spend the 9.25m more wisely next time.

I like Lapierre but I think there are a lot of good options out there for Kuzmenko. Would love a young promising D but I don't think we're getting Clarke, Pickering, Bichsel, Byram etc for Kuz. If a team offers a 1st this year take it and draft one or that G Hrabal

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, hammertime said:

Miller Bo

Pete Pod

Hughes Schenn

Demko

To the trades. 

Miller Bo Podkolzin

Mikheyev Pete Garland

Joshua Lazar Aman

Lockwood Dries Karlsson

Hughes Schenn

OEL Bear

If Washington doesn’t start making a run soon they won’t be buying at the deadline.  They’re 3 points out of a wildcard spot right now and they’ve played 2 more games than most of the teams they’re chasing.  They could be well out of the race by the trade deadline