The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Dec. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

This is an important stat... goes to show most offensive players plays on the edge... its all about whether the offence outweights the give aways...

Don't anyone crusifying Draisatl, McD, Pastrnak etc. 

Please McJesus please please 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I find him to be pretty blah. He does some nifty skating and pirouettes a bunch like a figure skater on the boards and takes horrible shots that none of his teammates can read, but other than that ... not much. No PK, his defence is weak, and he's tiny, although he can be feisty. He's kind of a waste at $5 mil on the third line in my opinion. I certainly won't lose any sleep if he gets traded.

He's a decent player but his cap space is far more important than he is to the Canucks.

Garland is a unique and creative player.  What I like is he is good at killing time on the clock in a third line duty.  He can get the puck, he can keep the puck, it's hard to get the puck back from him.  He's a possession player.  He's not on the first line right now because you'd want Miller and Horvat to have the puck on their sticks instead.  Garland is more than a support player, he can drive play.  

1 minute ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Garland is a unique and creative player.  What I like is he is good at killing time on the clock in a third line duty.  He can get the puck, he can keep the puck, it's hard to get the puck back from him.  He's a possession player.  He's not on the first line right now because you'd want Miller and Horvat to have the puck on their sticks instead.  Garland is more than a support player, he can drive play.  

Yes, that's true. He is good at ragging the puck. One of our most tradeable of our surplus of expensive wingers though as well.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

21 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Everything is different with Horvat gettting traded.  Would you trade Garland for Kotkaniemi?  I'd trade Boeser for Kotkaniemi.  

Absolutely.  And that's likely the kind of trade our management would be looking to make.  

1 hour ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Has he done much pk? I don't think so. That possession skill would be good to rag the puck in their zone. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If we had a solid defense scheme with our defense by committee. 

And Dermott and Poolman for the season would have helped. 

I think it cost us about 10 points. Especially not holding onto ALL our 2 goal leads. 

The lack of depth, is due to the lack of cap and even if they make it,.the chances are VERY good they will just be playoff fodder.  Anyways, I get it and enjoy the game.  Cheers 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

The lack of depth, is due to the lack of cap and even if they make it,.the chances are VERY good they will just be playoff fodder.  Anyways, I get it and enjoy the game.  Cheers 

I'm hoping that we pick up a big defensive defenseman by TD. To free up our skill guys. Or praying lol

7 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

You don't think our forwards need to play better defensively as a unit? I think that says a lot if you don't find that's a problem at all. We give up almost 4 goals a game.

Says a lot about what?  My hockey opinions? I dont think I deserve that dig. Just say you dont agree. I have no problem with that, I believe I have a pretty good grasp on things. I'm a big fan of me. 

Team defense is needed for any successful team, that includes forwards and D working together as the unit you speak of. Not just the forwards. Is our team defense a problem? sure, it could be better but it's not the main 'issue'.

Anyway, again the forwards are not the issue on the team. The underwhelming defense, the fact that Demko struggled and is now injured... we have to rely on our back up goalie.... Martin is good in a sense that he seems 80's good. He lets in a lot of goals but manages to hold on for the win when needed. These are some of the things that are more a catalyst for the 4 goals against per game.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Says a lot about what?  My hockey opinions? I dont think I deserve that dig. Just say you dont agree. I have no problem with that, I beleive I have a pretty good grasp on things. I'm a big fan of me. 

Team defense is needed for any successful team, that includes forwards and D working together as the unit you speak of. Not just the forwards. Is our team defense a problem? sure, it could be better but it's not the main 'issue'.

Anyway, again the forwards are not the issue on the team. The underwhelming defense, the fact that Demko struggled and is now injured... we have to rely on our back up goalie.... Martin is good in a sense that he seems 80's good. He lets in a lot of goals but manages to hold on for the win when needed. These are some of the things that are more a catalyst for the 4 goals against per game.

you did a good job, defending yourself from something you never said.

74mbz2.jpg.5561f2268fb01b371a5311c06701379b.jpg

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

Thankfully i have some boring meetings.

Miller is clearly not near the top of the league in giveaways but this doesn't mean he doesn't coast or make some ill-timed passes.

Things to note:

• Over 60 minutes, Miller is like number 160 in giveaways, not close and he's behind garland on the canucks.
  • Miller has more hits per 60 than any of the others
  • Miller has the lowest giveaways
  • He's not as elite as a scorer as any of the others - 1 goal in last 10 games but 8 points

image.thumb.png.22b8456d74d029e271d461c0b3c84151.png

unless G- A - P mean something different than what I think they mean, those stats are false

if those stats are false, why believe the rest of them?

24 minutes ago, lmm said:

unless G- A - P mean something different than what I think they mean, those stats are false

if those stats are false, why believe the rest of them?

i messed up the sort on the goals side, had to merge the two sets. The takeaway stats and all that are right.

Apologies but again main stats discussed (takeaways etc) are not false

• Huggy Bear 1