The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Dec. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I know everyone is positive with the result.

And sure, the Canucks are hanging in there and still have a chance at a playoff spot.

And yes, the team has plenty of offensive skill and talent.

But their defensive game still remains extremely poor.

When they win, it is usually because they got a lot of goals from the forward group.

Tonight was no different, but fortunately the Canucks had a standout performance from Martin... by any measure they should have lost in regulation.

The issue continues to be coverage of assignments by the forwards, gap management, (or complete lack of it) and horrible tendency to both give up the blue line and collapse to the net prematurely.

Management has shown they are either unwilling or incapable of making the trades needed to give the team the talent they need to anchor the blue line, so the only alternative is for the forwards to focus on team defense and play responsibly.

The question is, when is the Canuck coaching staff going to get them to play like defense is a priority?

I really don't think that with the current level of defensive play, even if they scrape into the playoffs, that they will last any longer than the first round.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 5

3 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I know everyone is positive with the result.

And sure, the Canucks are hanging in there and still have a chance at a playoff spot.

And yes, the team has plenty of offensive skill and talent.

But their defensive game still remains extremely poor.

When they win, it is usually because they got a lot of goals from the forward group.

Tonight was no different, but fortunately the Canucks had a standout performance from Martin... by any measure they should have lost in regulation.

The issue continues to be coverage of assignments by the forwards, gap management, (or complete lack of it) and horrible tendency to both give up the blue line and collapse to the net prematurely.

Management has shown they are either unwilling or incapable of making the trades needed to give the team the talent they need to anchor the blue line, so the only alternative is for the forwards to focus on team defense and play responsibly.

The question is, when is the Canuck coaching staff going to get them to play like defense is a priority?

I really don't think that with the current level of defensive play, even if they scrape into the playoffs, that they will last any longer than the first round.

They’re really missing Shaw.

I also don’t think Boudreau is back even if we miraculously make the playoffs.

Lots of change coming one way or another… hard to predict where we’ll be in 9 months. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He makes plays that a 6 million dollar D man should make but then he makes a handful of plays in a game that just make you go wtf?!?

I hope the Canucks never sign another player for 6 million again. Just make it 6 million and $1 or something 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1