The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chatgpt AI text generator

stawns

On 12/26/2022 at 11:03 PM, stawns said:

As a teacher,  im very conflicted.  On one hand, the ability for students to generate an essay they didn't write, that is not detectable with plagiarism programs is really unsettling.  I can't imagine how university profs are going to handle this.

On the other hand, I think I can really use it in the classroom as a teaching tool.  Structurally, they are pretty solid essays and for the young students I teach, who are just learning how to write an academic essay, it's a great modelling tool.  

It's f***ing crazy anyway you look at it 

Sorry but isn't essay writing already outdated? I remember when I was in highschool over 20 years ago, "Write a 2000 word essay on a [insert subject here] " and the subject was always completely uninteresting. I don't know how school is now but back then it was heavily favoured to bookworms, I was never a bookworm.

8 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

Sorry but isn't essay writing already outdated? I remember when I was in highschool over 20 years ago, "Write a 2000 word essay on a [insert subject here] " and the subject was always completely uninteresting. I don't know how school is now but back then it was heavily favoured to bookworms, I was never a bookworm.

No, essay writing is not outdated in anyway.  Critical thinking and writing skills will never be outdated........being able to form an opinion, work out the details supporting your opinion and then being able to express that opinion in a coherent, logical manner is a skill that extends to all parts of a person's life.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

No, essay writing is not outdated in anyway.  Critical thinking and writing skills will never be outdated........being able to form an opinion, work out the details supporting your opinion and then being able to express that opinion in a coherent, logical manner is a skill that extends to all parts of a person's life.

Yup.  And have kids develop good handwriting skills too.  Then when they do write essays they can hand write them in class.  This is such a simple problem to fix.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This worries me in relation to my job....much of what I do is write content for my boss as he is too busy with appointments, etc. So this potentially makes me redundant (although I know the feel of his writing and can reflect that into correspondence). 

He was the one who showed me ChatGPT as he'd used it for a speech that he tweaked afterward.

Damn.

5 hours ago, -DLC- said:

This worries me in relation to my job....much of what I do is write content for my boss as he is too busy with appointments, etc. So this potentially makes me redundant (although I know the feel of his writing and can reflect that into correspondence). 

He was the one who showed me ChatGPT as he'd used it for a speech that he tweaked afterward.

Damn.

Yeah, the threat is real, although I do think with a lot of jobs, it may be more just shifting the focus of those jobs rather than eliminating them altogether. For example, it might help you to write the content and then you yourself end up adjusting accordingly.

Otherwise, if you think about it, if everyone used ChatGPT, everyone would just sound the same through writing. There's still going to be a creative side no matter what and AI can only base things on what it is trained to do. It still doesn't think like a human.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

There's an interesting piece in The Conversation that touches upon how the tool can't do math with larger numbers, and how it's not able to discern correct information from incorrect information:

https://theconversation.com/chatgpts-greatest-achievement-might-just-be-its-ability-to-trick-us-into-thinking-that-its-honest-202694

Yeah absolutely. It's easy to get "worried" about this stuff, but we're not really there yet. It's basically a machine that sounds smart but really isn't. lol

I'm actually starting to study AI programming more and it might be a direction I head towards in terms of work. It's a rather interesting line of work that's really still in it's infant stages (but will likely move at breakneck speed).

• Cheers 1

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I think at present, the worry isn't so much about it being (or becoming) sentient - the dataset isn't there (yet) for it to reach that stage.  It's moreso the thought that people will rely on it as "the truth", whether directly (ie. through invoking the tool) or indirectly (ie. where someone else invokes the tool and then attempts to pass off the output as truth).  That is the clear and present danger that we face with this tool, in my mind.

Definately. It will be already has been used for propaganda. Anywhere from deep fakes to voice changing to AI's giving out false information. It might not even be intentional mischief if an AI is told to scour the internet for research and finds articles from Fox News or obscure sites made by fanatics.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haha I told my gf to generate her bridesmaid's wedding speech and it did a great job. It will move her friend to tears and then it will be too late to admit it! 

For real though, there's lots of jobs that will be getting displaced by AI writing and also AI art. I sometimes think that some of the articles must be AI generated. 

On 4/22/2023 at 8:45 PM, Playoff Beered said:

oops

LOL at your "how not to do it approach"....

Dear Chat GDP.....

How do we stop the robots and AI from taking over the world? And more importantly, why bother since people are so stupid anyways?

40 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

LOL at your "how not to do it approach"....

Dear Chat GDP.....

How do we stop the robots and AI from taking over the world? And more importantly, why bother since people are so stupid anyways?

It's a lil spooky though because the different tribes of thought are so easily triggered. Chat GDP could incite wars.