The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Alexis Lafrenière

11 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

We shouldn't offer anymore than Boeser for Lafreniere, D prospect Robertson OR Emberson + pick.
They need RW help (Kakko/ Kravtsov aren't cutting it and they need RW scoring), and even though he's a former #1 pick he hasn't come anywhere close to meeting that potential (0.45 points/ game is the highest amount he's had, and that's this season).  Boeser meets their positional need and at his worst is still a 0.8 point/ game guy; we'd get Robertson who's 6'4", LD and defensively sound (might not have a spot due to Lindgren and K'Andre already being there, plus they have other big LHD in their depth).  Emberson would be a big, defense-only RHD prospect who's physical.  

I’m not sure if a trade with the Rangers is possible tbh. They’re up pretty tight against the cap as is, and would have to make prior moves to facilitate any trades involving Boeser/Miller/Horvat. I do like the idea of a Boeser for Lafreniere trade though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pears said:

I’m not sure if a trade with the Rangers is possible tbh. They’re up pretty tight against the cap as is, and would have to make prior moves to facilitate any trades involving Boeser/Miller/Horvat. I do like the idea of a Boeser for Lafreniere trade though. 

They’d have enough space at the deadline if we retained 50%.

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If we’re going rebuild/retool we could retain for a couple years. Wouldn’t be an issue IMO.

I agree but even then, if we want to do that then we’d need as much available cap space as possible. 

8 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Do you think that is a possibility with this ownership group?

This is the key.  Our owner just doesn’t allow trades of key core guys.  IMHAO he believes it sends a message to fans (paying ones who fill seats and rent skyboxes) that the club isn’t trying to win.  

3 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Kuzmenko and a late pick, for Lafreniere and a 1st

In this scenario the cap works out too.  Petey sure does have something special going on with our Kuz Missile though.  But Kuz is a support player, so this is a move our owner would allow, providing he though5 the return would sell tickets.  And Lafrenierre, being a former 1AO could fit that narrative.  

33 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm sure they're acutely aware of it.  Creating the cap space necessary to address those problems is what they're most likely trying to work on.

Spending 8M (Miller) + 5M (Mikheyev) + 1M (Kuzmenko) when we recently signed 6.6M (Boeser) doesn't help. Don't forget about 3.25M (Pearson) and 5M (Garland) and we've got our answer to where our cap space went.

Sure we can say our 13M defensive pairing OEL-Myers aren't worth their coin but dare I say 8M for Miller brings us more negative value and less positive value than 7M for OEL.

If this management really did understand the problem at defence, they wouldn't have gone out and signed UFA Mikheyev. I know he's been great, but we had absolutely NO need for this signing in the off-season. We just nabbed a freebie superstar in Kuzmenko, why spend 5M of our cap on yet another big winger? I know the UFA defencemen pool wasn't great but that 5M could have easily been allocated for a top-4 defenceman and boy would this team have looked better and more rounded then. Plus (a bit of an aside), at the time Podkolzin was assumed to be in our top-6.

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Spending 8M (Miller) + 5M (Mikheyev) + 1M (Kuzmenko) when we recently signed 6.6M (Boeser) doesn't help. Don't forget about 3.25M (Pearson) and 5M (Garland) and we've got our answer to where our cap space went.

Sure we can say our 13M defensive pairing OEL-Myers aren't worth their coin but dare I say 8M for Miller brings us more negative value and less positive value than 7M for OEL.

If this management really did understand the problem at defence, they wouldn't have gone out and signed UFA Mikheyev. I know he's been great, but we had absolutely NO need for this signing in the off-season. We just nabbed a freebie superstar in Kuzmenko, why spend 5M of our cap on yet another big winger? I know the UFA defencemen pool wasn't great but that 5M could have easily been allocated for a top-4 defenceman and boy would this team have looked better and more rounded then. Plus (a bit of an aside), at the time Podkolzin was assumed to be in our top-6.

Management is trying to fix the Benning mistakes in oursupporting cast.  It’s started but still a couple years away from being done.  Plus, supporting casts are forever evolving.  So Lafrenierre would fill into that supporting cast group.  If we could get him and Brayden Schneider then that’s what these guys are wanting.  If we get only Lafrenierre then the cost is way less.  

6 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

What's funny is Mik was brought in for the PK. And our PK has been a disaster this year.

• Sad 1
  • There it is 1

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What's funny is Mik was brought in for the PK. And our PK has been a disaster this year.

Most important player on the PK is the goalie.  And our goaltending this year has been (mostly) craperolla.  Double Bubble Demko would improve our PK a lot.  

• Like 1

Horvat makes a lot more sense (for us) going to the Hurricanes for a package around Morrow.

OTOH I could see the Canes in “win now” being open to moving Kotkaniemi and his contract for Miller. Not the dream 2C but still a huge upgrade offensively on KK and they have the veteran Cs like Staal and Stastny to help out.

Then Horvat to the rags makes more sense.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Nobody will give up anything more than a similar type of contract / player at this point. Our media and fanbase tanked his value too much beaching and moaning about every little thing.

When it comes to him... I'm still looking at other no man's land teams who don't want to he in this tier like Nashville or STL. ROR + VT are both out long term. Cap space just opened up. Maybe they bite on miller.

To me the most logical deal which helps both teams. Miller to Nashville for johansen. I would love to add to this and bring jeannot here as well. Maybe hoglander or some redundant younger FWD but I'm sure they value him quite a bit. 

While Miller is about to start a 8x7... RJ only has 8x3 left ( including this year ). I think we could get a team like that to bite on him. They just took on 4 years of 33 year old Ryan McDonough for free lol. A win for me is just losing that cap asap. We still get a solid hometown vet C to play behind EP. That allows us time to develop a young 2C for 2 years till RJ expires

So, if I understand you correctly, your opinion is that other GM's around the league pay attention to what Canuck fans and media feel / believe as opposed to their own internal team and scouts?

I think all of them have better things to do with their day than pay attention to CDC or the Vancouver media lol.

• Cheers 1