The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In Memory of 2023

Ilunga

Raquel Welch, star of Fantastic Voyage, One Million Years B.C., dead at 82 | CBC News

Raquel Welch, the film actress whose sultry, curvaceous looks made her a leading sex symbol of the 1960s and '70s, has died at age 82, news media outlets reported on Wednesday.

Her death was initially reported by TMZ.com, citing unnamed family members, and later by Hollywood trade publication Variety and the French news agency AFP, which cited her manager.

Welch came to the wide attention of moviegoers for her role in the 1966 sci-fi adventure Fantastic Voyage, followed by her iconic appearance later that year in the prehistoric drama One Million Years B.C.

Although Welch had just a few lines of dialogue in B.C., memorable images of her appearance in a deer-skinned bikini made her a bestselling pinup that transformed her into a global sex symbol.

Other screen credits in the late 1960s and early '70s include starring roles in BedazzledBandolero!100 RiflesMyra Breckinridge and Hannie Caulder.

The brunette star's portrayal of strong female characters was credited with reshaping the stereotype of the traditional sex symbol, and her rise to fame was also seen as eclipsing Hollywood's embrace of the blonde bombshell.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, DonLever said:

Stella Stevens has died at age 84.  She was a popular actress in the 1960's.  But like most actresses of that era, she has been largely forgotten over the years.

Stella Stevens, ‘Nutty Professor’ And ‘Poseidon Adventure’ Actress, Dead At 84 | ETCanada.com

The 1963 movie "The Nutty Professor", directed by Jerry Lewis. Seen here, Stella Stevens as Stella Purdy. Initial theatrical release June 4, 1963.  Screen capture. Paramount Pictures

She was a beautiful woman. Enjoyed her movies. 

6 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Came here to post this. 

I met him once. In Vancouver. He was coked out but such a nice guy. 

Always loved his acting. He’ll always be the guy in Saving Private Ryan that made that movie special.  

Damn. Are we getting old or are these guys just dying too quickly? 

If Tom Hanks dies, I’m burning this world down with him. 

• Cheers 1

On 3/4/2023 at 2:55 AM, Sharpshooter said:

Came here to post this. 

I met him once. In Vancouver. He was coked out but such a nice guy. 

Always loved his acting. He’ll always be the guy in Saving Private Ryan that made that movie special.  

Damn. Are we getting old or are these guys just dying too quickly? 

If Tom Hanks dies, I’m burning this world down with him. 

When Tom Hanks dies I'm eating a sardine on a pretzel in memory like he did in The Burbs 

• There it is 1

Such a drag updating this thread so frequently .....

Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd seen at KAABOO Texas at AT&T Stadium on Saturday, May 11, 2019, in Arlington, Texas. (Photo by Amy Harris/Invision/AP)

Gary Rossington, Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Last Original Member, Dead at 71

The founding member and guitarist, who provided the seagull-like slide guitar leads to Skynyrd’s signature “Free Bird,” survived the band’s infamous 1977 plane crash

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/gary-rossington-lynyrd-skynyrd-dead-1209960/

RIP Gary. Thanks for the great tunes.

Edited by nuckin_futz

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Soft rock?

Does this sound like Soft Rock?

Yeah, I thought it was an odd characterization as well....

I can only guess that it's because of his penchant for using Reggae rhythms......like with this decidedly not soft rock version of Warren Zevon's Werewolves of London:

• Like 1

Here’s an epic performance of Freebird featuring Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd. 

Rossington is at his ultimate best here. 

Rolling Stones were to follow after Skynyrd that night and no bands were allowed to use the stage apron which extended into the crowd other than the Stones. The apron was designed to mimic the Stones logo of lips and tongue and was put in the concert contract as “ private”.

Ronnie Van said screw that and led his guitarists to all move well onto the apron during the Freebird guitar solos. 
233DF65E-F36C-4D36-A2F4-B2590D670E08.jpeg.eaf57c02072216d1183656c95f0e52ec.jpeg

8C783410-7ABD-4682-B675-522AC468845A.jpeg.595f22e541a322cf7f97cd3ae3dfe842.jpeg

Needless to say , Skynyrd blew the Stones out of the park that day and  the Stones were  always bitter about this southern USA band showing them up on their own turf. 

Thank you Gary Rossington for all the great music and memories. 

Rest in Peace.

EB751FE7-ABF6-452F-9C5C-7CE85EBD3BC4.jpeg.d9139ee65ccd7ee9157ce6ef78da9d32.jpeg

• Like 1