The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

Insane isn't it. Allvin and co should treat Miller as a cap dump if it means we can re-sign Bo and Kuz and get this done. Obviously we'd have to take cap back in any deal

1) Pittsburgh - not sure who they'd give up. They need to hold on to their D with Letang injured. Straight swap for Zucker could work, maybe they throw in a pick (1st probably too much but I'd take a 2nd or honestly...nothing). They have a few contracts ending this off-season so have a tiny bit of scope to sign him.

2) Rangers - can't see how they can acquire Miller and get better, unless they trade us Goodrow (3.6M cap). They have 1.5M in cap space right now so could just about squeeze Miller in, then would have to do a fair bit of wheeling around to make his 8M fit in the off-season. Obviously if we're taking a 3.6M cap dump back they have to give us something tasty like a good prospect/young player (which I doubt they'll part with), or more likely a 1st round pick. Goodrow + 1st for Miller would do just fine and he could just about slot in for us at 3rd line center. Most importantly we free up a tonne of cap space.

3) Devils - this is where things get interesting, lots of options here. They have a lot of contracts expiring, lots of decisions to make on defence and up front. They'll have to pay Bratt big time, likely let veterans like Tatar and Haula walk, spend money on their kids and probably end up letting guys like Severson +/- Graves walk. I wonder...I'd happily do Miller for Severson straight up (maybe a pick coming back, or Haula as a 3C if they want more cap space?) if they can juggle their lineup to make Miler fit for this year. A lot depends as well on when Marino's injury is up and he comes back, but there's surely a trade here. At the very least we could do Miller for Tatar and a pick (1st or 2nd?) but I like the idea of Severson coming back as a sort of rental/possible Weegar-like instant extension.

4) Detroit - they've got 4M in cap space, have to re-sign Larkin in the off-season but not many other difficult decisions, they can send whatever they want over for Miller. A straight 1st round pick? Sure. They don't really have a "cap dump" they can send our way, even Perron is still producing loads of offence for his age and cap hit. They're probably best suited to sending us a pick or prospect over straight up, and can surely jiggle their lineup to get Miller's 5M to fit this year, and his extension next year.

I would take literally any one of these deals, ideally the NJD one, which means we can fit Bo in and avoid having to pay this guy 8M for the next almost-decade.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

All of those teams wanting Miller ,  hold the same reason this Management Group wants to keep him.    

Seasons of Consistency.

This from the same writer of that article you just posted.

(FELIP GOSSELIN)

.. and a footnote Alvin is in Boston today , hoping to talk with NCAA Prospect Dman McDonaugh.

Frank Seravalli once again found himself on most Headlines as he's stated the ideal landing spot for the Canucks captain.

''Boston could be the ideal landing spot for Bo Horvat. He would not only make Boston's Top 9 forward group one of the most formidable heading into the playoffs, but his addition also might help entice David Pastrnakto extend seeing that the window to win won't be completely shut whenever Bergeron decides to hang up his skates.'' 

The renowned NHL insider makes valid points, with multiple contracts needing renewal by the of the current season. Pastrnak will certainly want confirmation that it's in the team's plan to continue winning while he enters his prime.

Horvat would fit in nicely in Boston for sure. They have plenty of talent and they've been outstanding this season as they lead the NHL in points. They have tremendous depth, but adding another great forward could relieve some minutes off of David Krejci and Patrice Bergeron who are both agings.

They have a few interesting prospects and 1st rounders that could be moved and if they can find a way to fit Horvat with their remaining cap space, they're definitely a team to watch in the Horvat sweepstakes.

Yeah I get it these guys are paid to write stories impossible to know how much is click bait. But it’s that time of year and it’s a rumour no different than those including other players. 

it’s funny because all the teams that want horvat need him for the same reason we do… 

trading  them both would go along way to fixing this team it might be the only way to fix us. 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Insane isn't it. Allvin and co should treat Miller as a cap dump if it means we can re-sign Bo and Kuz and get this done. Obviously we'd have to take cap back in any deal

1) Pittsburgh - not sure who they'd give up. They need to hold on to their D with Letang injured. Straight swap for Zucker could work, maybe they throw in a pick (1st probably too much but I'd take a 2nd or honestly...nothing). They have a few contracts ending this off-season so have a tiny bit of scope to sign him.

2) Rangers - can't see how they can acquire Miller and get better, unless they trade us Goodrow (3.6M cap). They have 1.5M in cap space right now so could just about squeeze Miller in, then would have to do a fair bit of wheeling around to make his 8M fit in the off-season. Obviously if we're taking a 3.6M cap dump back they have to give us something tasty like a good prospect/young player (which I doubt they'll part with), or more likely a 1st round pick. Goodrow + 1st for Miller would do just fine and he could just about slot in for us at 3rd line center. Most importantly we free up a tonne of cap space.

3) Devils - this is where things get interesting, lots of options here. They have a lot of contracts expiring, lots of decisions to make on defence and up front. They'll have to pay Bratt big time, likely let veterans like Tatar and Haula walk, spend money on their kids and probably end up letting guys like Severson +/- Graves walk. I wonder...I'd happily do Miller for Severson straight up (maybe a pick coming back, or Haula as a 3C if they want more cap space?) if they can juggle their lineup to make Miler fit for this year. A lot depends as well on when Marino's injury is up and he comes back, but there's surely a trade here. At the very least we could do Miller for Tatar and a pick (1st or 2nd?) but I like the idea of Severson coming back as a sort of rental/possible Weegar-like instant extension.

4) Detroit - they've got 4M in cap space, have to re-sign Larkin in the off-season but not many other difficult decisions, they can send whatever they want over for Miller. A straight 1st round pick? Sure. They don't really have a "cap dump" they can send our way, even Perron is still producing loads of offence for his age and cap hit. They're probably best suited to sending us a pick or prospect over straight up, and can surely jiggle their lineup to get Miller's 5M to fit this year, and his extension next year.

I would take literally any one of these deals, ideally the NJD one, which means we can fit Bo in and avoid having to pay this guy 8M for the next almost-decade.

Problem is Miller is a very good player and will NOT be treated by this management group as a cap dump. There could certainly be trade options with any of the four clubs mentioned absolutely. The Rangers, Devils, and Penguins could all use Miller to get them over the hump into contention so to speak. Either team would be needing to part with their 2023 1st which will be a pick in the 20's. Then its a matter of other pieces involved. The Rangers have more pieces likely of interest to Vancouver if we are assuming the team is seeking the under 25 year old players to fit in. Maybe a Chytil, Mercer, or Ty Smith would be involved in a deal but at this point of the team feels its worth getting Bo done at 8m + then I would pay to move a Myers say and 23'3rd to Ottawa for an expiring contract like Nick Holden. Boeser and Stillman involved in a deal to bring in Dumba, move out some cap and add at defense.

Be interesting to see, I feel days and weeks are going to go by here and we won't really see much happen though.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Devron said:

A lot of people assume this team is a bunch of cap dumps. I disagree with a lot of them

I think we can trade guys (who some think are cap dumps) but the return might be another team’s crappy contract, and it’s a worse player.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

This is the only thing that the article says about teams being interested in Miller:

“As for a trade before the March 3 trade deadline, the Pittsburgh Penguins have cap space next season and beyond to take on Miller's contract. He's also been linked to the New York Rangers, Detroit Red Wings and New Jersey Devils.”

i don’t think this counts as a rumour

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think we can trade guys (who some think are cap dumps) but the return might be another team’s crappy contract, and it’s a worse player.  

Yeah like Boeser for instance. We’ll get a pick back and a guy that makes 4 million or something along those lines

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1