The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

IMHO I think Detroit makes a lot of sense for Miller if Larkin does not re sign, they can get Miller for cheap, I think like Wallinder straight up with no retention and Miller will have less cap and overall contract money than Larkin. I think Yzerman would love to just let things keep cooking a bit with Kasper, Edvinsson etc, but I think he is at the point where he wants a competitive team with some veteran leadership hence the Copp and Perron signings 

49 minutes ago, Devron said:

Yeah but also Horvat will be pretty good for the next 5 years and also I’m selfish cause he’s my fav 

Haha I understand, it was tough for me to see Luongo go. I like Bo but I would be hesitant to sign him, even with his inflated shooting %, his metrics are borderline 1C this season. Once regression hits, he's gonna be back at the usual level of a really good, shoot first 2C.

If he does sign for 8+ for 8 years, that has a chance to be a bad contract as soon as next season. I think the Kadri contract is a fair contract for him with his improvement this season, 7 aav.

Personally I would still keep Miller if I had to choose between the two. Although the Milller contract has been said by some to not be moveable, I think that is more due to a similar Pacioretty type situation where teams just don't have the cap room with the attached extension. He's underperformed at even strength, so I'm sure he's due to regress positively down the stretch here. I haven't been able to access a comparable on all sites, but Miller has better defensive metrics this season than Bo according to the Athletic 30 game player cards. He's made many questionable turnovers this season, but on the whole, he's been better.

Miller has been great in his 3.5 years as a Canuck, hopefully not everyone forgets that after a slow start to this season.

But the right move is to move on from both for sure.

• Cheers 1

What if we ate 1 mill for the whole stinkin' 7 yrs? Certainly know how 1 or 2 posters would respond to this query.

Yes, prob a pointless question..yet still a lil' curious. 7 x 7 doesn't sound too shabby, for a recent 99 pt fwd.

Whatever pkg he landed, what extra would(hypothetically) be added on top, if ownership took on such a 7 yr plunge?

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

What if we ate 1 mill for the whole stinkin' 7 yrs? Certainly know how 1 or 2 posters would respond to this query.

Yes, prob a pointless question..yet still a lil' curious. 7 x 7 doesn't sound too shabby, for a recent 99 pt fwd.

Whatever pkg he landed, what extra would(hypothetically) be added on top, if ownership took on such a 7 yr plunge?

Then management needs to be fired.  He's movable at the full salary.

9 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Depends on the incentive to do so imo. 1M isn't much in the short term, but over seven years? I'm generally more open to retaining but I dunno.

Also depends on the direction of this club going forward. If we're doing more of a rebuild it probably doesn't hurt as much.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Insane isn't it. Allvin and co should treat Miller as a cap dump if it means we can re-sign Bo and Kuz and get this done. Obviously we'd have to take cap back in any deal

1) Pittsburgh - not sure who they'd give up. They need to hold on to their D with Letang injured. Straight swap for Zucker could work, maybe they throw in a pick (1st probably too much but I'd take a 2nd or honestly...nothing). They have a few contracts ending this off-season so have a tiny bit of scope to sign him.

2) Rangers - can't see how they can acquire Miller and get better, unless they trade us Goodrow (3.6M cap). They have 1.5M in cap space right now so could just about squeeze Miller in, then would have to do a fair bit of wheeling around to make his 8M fit in the off-season. Obviously if we're taking a 3.6M cap dump back they have to give us something tasty like a good prospect/young player (which I doubt they'll part with), or more likely a 1st round pick. Goodrow + 1st for Miller would do just fine and he could just about slot in for us at 3rd line center. Most importantly we free up a tonne of cap space.

3) Devils - this is where things get interesting, lots of options here. They have a lot of contracts expiring, lots of decisions to make on defence and up front. They'll have to pay Bratt big time, likely let veterans like Tatar and Haula walk, spend money on their kids and probably end up letting guys like Severson +/- Graves walk. I wonder...I'd happily do Miller for Severson straight up (maybe a pick coming back, or Haula as a 3C if they want more cap space?) if they can juggle their lineup to make Miler fit for this year. A lot depends as well on when Marino's injury is up and he comes back, but there's surely a trade here. At the very least we could do Miller for Tatar and a pick (1st or 2nd?) but I like the idea of Severson coming back as a sort of rental/possible Weegar-like instant extension.

4) Detroit - they've got 4M in cap space, have to re-sign Larkin in the off-season but not many other difficult decisions, they can send whatever they want over for Miller. A straight 1st round pick? Sure. They don't really have a "cap dump" they can send our way, even Perron is still producing loads of offence for his age and cap hit. They're probably best suited to sending us a pick or prospect over straight up, and can surely jiggle their lineup to get Miller's 5M to fit this year, and his extension next year.

I would take literally any one of these deals, ideally the NJD one, which means we can fit Bo in and avoid having to pay this guy 8M for the next almost-decade.

Washington

Detroit

NJ

Carolina

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Then management needs to be fired.  He's movable at the full salary.

So if you were a GM, & a rival offered you TWO 1st rounders to buy 7 yrs of 1 mill AAV, you'd say no?

& I'm not suggesting that we'd ever get such generosity for what amounts to, about 1% retention.

I'm simply curious about the cost(of cap space) in such a transaction. Can't recall a simple trade(& I wouldn't count the OEL-debacle), revealing said cost.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Dependable on the incentive to do so imo. 1M isn't much in the short term, but over seven years? I'm generally more open to retaining but I dunno.

Also depends on the direction of this club going forward.

Is there any question of our club’s direction?  

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

So if you were a GM, & a rival offered you TWO 1st rounders to buy 7 yrs of 1 mill AAV, you'd say no?

& I'm not suggesting that we'd ever get such generosity for what amounts to, about 1% retention.

I'm simply curious about the cost(of cap space) in such a transaction. Can't recall a simple trade(& I wouldn't count the OEL-debacle), revealing said cost.

Absolutely I would say no.  We already saw the devastation caused by GIllis being stupid enough to retain on Luongo, and we need to learn from his mistake.  No long-term dead cap, no exceptions.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Absolutely I would say no.  We already saw the devastation caused by GIllis being stupid enough to retain on Luongo, and we need to learn from his mistake.  No long-term dead cap, no exceptions.

I agree that he's moveable as is.  Miller is a top level player that could very much be a piece to put a team into contender status.  To me, Washington and Carolina are the likeliest candidates.

11 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

He's not overpaid. I don't like Miller and I want him gone. But 8mil is fine for his production and game. If we eat 1mil for 7 years we sure as hell better get two 1st rounders, a top prospect, and a roster player (obviously to make the cap work.) That better be a quality roster player too. Even then, those picks will be mid to late 20s. I dunno man. I'd rather just dump the entire thing. Get a good prospect, a 1st rounder, and a cap dump.

Just now, stawns said:

I agree that he's moveable as is.  Miller is a top level player that could very much be a piece to put a team into contender status.  To me, Washington and Carolina are the likeliest candidates.

Pittsburgh and Boston also make sense as teams with a window that is going to slam shut in the near future.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

So be like Nonis and tell the owner he’s wrong and get fired?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

So be like Nonis and tell the owner he’s wrong and get fired?  

Better than being like Gillis and making a stupid trade that cripples the franchise fo a decade.

Just now, Alflives said:

Pit and Boston have nothing we want.  The Canes have KK.  Miller for KK + works.  

Carlo and Lysell would be a really solid return.

40 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yup if Miller was available at deadline in 2011, we would want him to put us over the top. 

I think we're looking from a lens of a rebuilding team not a contender and thereby devaluing our guys. 

Well said & agreed