The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Miller returns to NYR

9 hours ago, Coconuts said:

And most of that will go right back into their roster, I don't think it'll fit. I think Chytil will get more than you're expecting, probably Miller too. Maybe a backup costs them a similar amount, maybe more. I'd assume Laffy gets a raise if he's still there, perhaps Kravtsov too. 

I could see them maybe looking for a forward up front but I don't see them taking on Miller's 8M. If the cap remains stagnant I could see them finding someone via UFA. New York sells itself. 

If they want to send back salary, Goodrow’s $3.6M looks out of place on their 4th line.  Maybe his contract coming back could make it work. We could also add McDonough, Rathbone if needed. 

Point is Schneider is buried behind Fox and Trouba on the right side for three more seasons, and is the ideal trade target for us.  

Edited by Kenny Powers

41 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

If they want to send back salary, Goodrow’s $3.6M looks out of place on their 4th line.  Maybe his contract coming back could make it work. We could also add McDonough, Rathbone if needed. 

Point is Schneider is buried behind Fox and Trouba on the right side for three more seasons, and is the ideal trade target for us.  

I get the Schneider argument, several of us were making it for months leading up to last season's deadline 

But it they weren't willing to move him for Miller at his peak I question why they'd move him for Miller now

Just now, Coconuts said:

I get the Schneider argument, several of us were making it for months leading up to last season's deadline 

But it they weren't willing to move him for Miller at his peak I question why they'd move him for Miller now

Wonder if they’d entertain Kuzmenko for Schneider

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

That'd make more sense imo, even with an extension Kuzmenko will almost certainly cost less than Miller going forward

Plus he'd have Panarin there

If nothing else he'd be easy to fit in this season for the Rangers

Edited by Coconuts

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That'd make more sense imo, even with an extension Kuzmenko will almost certainly cost less than Miller going forward

Plus he'd have Panarin there

If nothing else he'd be easy to fit in this season for the Rangers

Yeah, could be a great alternative to Kane

24 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

That would be great!  But Kuz is a guy who sells seats and creates interest in the club.  As good a hockey move as this would be, I'm wondering if our owner would okay it? 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

That would be great!  But Kuz is a guy who sells seats and creates interest in the club.  As good a hockey move as this would be, I'm wondering if our owner would okay it? 

Yeah I like what he brings. This would only be IF he declined an extension.  Started a different thread for this proposal

16 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Yeah, could be a great alternative to Kane

And one they could probably actually retain

I was thinking about it yesterday, if Chicago does somehow win Bedard I could simply see Kane circling back to go to Chicago to play with him 

Hope it doesn't happen, Hawks deserve to suffer 

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And one they could probably actually retain

I was thinking about it yesterday, if Chicago does somehow win Bedard I could simply see Kane circling back to go to Chicago to play with him 

Hope it doesn't happen, Hawks deserve to suffer 

They don’t deserve him

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, BPA said:

Thats with 13 roster players signed.  Add JT Miller $8M and K’Andre Miller at very team friendly rate of $2M.  That leaves $6.8M to sign 7-8 roster players. Would think Laffy and Chytil need raises.

Fair point. I don’t know their roster well enough to know what their RFA’s will cost.

I’m working from the assumption that the Rangers are still interested in Miller (per the recent rumour), and that this wouldn’t be the only trade they would make before next year. 

They could also send a contract back, like Woodrow.

Edited by Kenny Powers

2 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

If NYR want to keep Schnieder, How about Miller and Schenn for Trouba. Works better with the cap. 

NRY could have 

Fox

Schnieder 

Schenn 

plus get Miller 

I like it but thought I read Trouba has a NMC

Makes sense to us but sounds like Schneider is really untouchable over there, and rightly so - young physical RDs are becoming more hard to draft and develop than centers or goalies. You could argue he fits their transition plan perfectly - Fox stays top pairing RD for a decade, Trouba declines slowly over 3 years as Schneider takes those minutes from him slowly over 3 years. The other argument is that Schneider is a top-4, 20 minute guy now/next year and he may want a trade to a place to play more, but I think he'll stay loyal and stay with the Rangers.

Only way we're getting Schneider is with a top player like Bo. Miller has fallen off, everyone can see that.

Best defenceman we're getting with Miller is a guy like Severson or Dumba sadly, but I'd take a Severson swap in a heart-beat.

I wonder how available Carlo is, we've got to target these solid 2nd RDs playing on teams who have an elite top RD (eg. McAvoy). I think there's a Bo for Carlo + Zacha deal out there which would fix both team's problems, but wonder if we can just do a Miller-for-Carlo swap?

On 1/8/2023 at 3:49 PM, Kenny Powers said:

Trouba and Fox are locked up for 4 and 7 years. When will Schneider get to be the #2D there?

It's not about that.  It's just reality.   Schnieder was a non-starter last season, and that's when Miller had more value.  A lot more value.   Miller was on a tear, scoring at a 120 point pace the second half leading up to the TDL... The deal on the table was still good, but it didn't include Schneider.   Not saying it's impossible, and maybe they'd consider it as an all in move with Schenn going the other way ... but who else could they get instead?   And keep Schneider.    NYR a is a weird animal though, classically impatient, and historically the place blue chip vets used to go ... but that's changed with cap.   Their blue chip vet anchors are Panarin, Trouba, Zinbenjad and Krieder.    Pretty sure with those teams in the East they are up against, they know it's a big tactical error to take on Millers cap.   Better off playing the long game.    Miller vs one of Toews or Kane 50% retained.    What would you do?    Kane for sure first.  Toews before Miller as well.   And CHI won't get Schnieder.    Players get injured and playoffs are a grind.   In 3-4 years Schnieder takes over naturally, that's how you build a defense.   Sure a cup is >>>> then Schneider.   IF they think Miller pushes them over the edge then they do this deal.    Wouldn't it be better to wait for Boston to age out, as well as TB?    Miller ...  well IF by some miracle he has a second half like last season then maybe this time NYR does a deal like this. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Makes sense to us but sounds like Schneider is really untouchable over there, and rightly so - young physical RDs are becoming more hard to draft and develop than centers or goalies. You could argue he fits their transition plan perfectly - Fox stays top pairing RD for a decade, Trouba declines slowly over 3 years as Schneider takes those minutes from him slowly over 3 years. The other argument is that Schneider is a top-4, 20 minute guy now/next year and he may want a trade to a place to play more, but I think he'll stay loyal and stay with the Rangers.

Only way we're getting Schneider is with a top player like Bo. Miller has fallen off, everyone can see that.

Best defenceman we're getting with Miller is a guy like Severson or Dumba sadly, but I'd take a Severson swap in a heart-beat.

I wonder how available Carlo is, we've got to target these solid 2nd RDs playing on teams who have an elite top RD (eg. McAvoy). I think there's a Bo for Carlo + Zacha deal out there which would fix both team's problems, but wonder if we can just do a Miller-for-Carlo swap?

Boston isn't going to mess with anything right now.   Not with their ridiculous all-time record breaking start.   They are on pace to shatter records from some pretty great teams (MTL/DET/TB).    No that it seems sustainable ... but they did this without key core players who are now back lol.   They won't mess with that.   Maybe the add some cheap support guys for the grind, Schenn for example or Kuzmenko.   But don't see Horvat as a target unless some of their steam is lost.   4th oldest team in the league.   Funny how that works isn't it?  PIT last two cups, the peak Sedin era etc ... Young teams get time to do it, but it's mature teams that are contenders for the most part.    The window is longer with a good young core, but every team needs to get playoff reps first.   Our team is stuck in limbo.   Some good pieces that's about it.  

Yes Boston will target Horvat as a free agent.   Miller?  That's not going to happen.   Not even if he had a second half like he did last season.    They need a Bergeron replacement.   Miler is not that, and well neither is Horvat but he's someone a ton of teams would consider.   Boston would be a team that might make a trade for Horvat, or go after him for free in free agency, but that really depends on how their season goes.   COL too. 

Edited by IBatch

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Boston isn't going to mess with anything right now.   Not with their ridiculous all-time record breaking start.   They are on pace to shatter records from some pretty great teams (MTL/DET/TB).    No that it seems sustainable ... but they did this without key core players who are now back lol.   They won't mess with that.   Maybe the add some cheap support guys for the grind, Schenn for example or Kuzmenko.   But don't see Horvat as a target unless some of their steam is lost.   4th oldest team in the league.   Funny how that works isn't it?  PIT last two cups, the peak Sedin era etc ... Young teams get time to do it, but it's mature teams that are contenders for the most part.    The window is longer with a good young core, but every team needs to get playoff reps first.   Our team is stuck in limbo.   Some good pieces that's about it.  

Yes Boston will target Horvat as a free agent.   Miller?  That's not going to happen.   Not even if he had a second half like he did last season.    They need a Bergeron replacement.   Miler is not that, and well neither is Horvat but he's someone a ton of teams would consider.   Boston would be a team that might make a trade for Horvat, or go after him for free in free agency, but that really depends on how their season goes.   COL too. 

Yeah this is fair, I wouldn't touch that team right now but if they falter a bit down the line, they may look at a trade. You see this a lot - top teams like the President's trophy winners have a smashing regular season then something doesn't click in the playoffs. A lot of Cup winners often add tertiary depth guys at the deadline who would be on other team's top-6/top-4 units. Schenn is a great example but I'm not sure if he's as good as their bottom pairing guys. Kuzmenko would be the ideal target for them, a PPG scorer basically on their 3rd line.

• Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yeah this is fair, I wouldn't touch that team right now but if they falter a bit down the line, they may look at a trade. You see this a lot - top teams like the President's trophy winners have a smashing regular season then something doesn't click in the playoffs. A lot of Cup winners often add tertiary depth guys at the deadline who would be on other team's top-6/top-4 units. Schenn is a great example but I'm not sure if he's as good as their bottom pairing guys. Kuzmenko would be the ideal target for them, a PPG scorer basically on their 3rd line.

Exactly how I see it too.   Lots of hockey left.   The only team that i remember that made a ton of moves, including significant youth and futures, and very very good players as well, even though tops in the league during the regular season, best PP best PK etc - was the 94 NYR.     So i guess anything is possible.   Horvat at 50% retained with Schenn would get us Carlo.   Boston would be foolish to pass on the chance at a cup.   And if it's a sign and trade, Pastrnak likely wants to stay too.   Bergeron, probably his final season if they go out in the sunset so to speak.   Horvat makes a lot of sense for Boston, just not sure that's a good deal for us, and well it is Boston.    Not exactly a fan favourite lol.