The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[WHL] Kamloops Blazers Acquire Olen Zellweger & Ryan Hofer in MONSTER trade, Everett Silvertips acquire four players, FOUR first round picks, & Six other picks.

Rate this topic

Roberts

• Roberts changed the title to [WHL] Kamloops Blazers Acquire Olen Zellweger & Ryan Hofer in MONSTER trade, Everett Silvertips acquire FOUR first round picks, FOUR players & more.
24 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Ten bucks says the Canucks are too chicken to do a trade like that with our current crew, sending off two top players for a dozen or so draft picks and a handful of players.  :bigblush:

I really wish they weren't afraid to. Current management has done essentially nothing other than a few very minor signings/trades

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

What the hell, since when did Zellweger become worth all that much 

Stud in minors to a contender probably warrants it.
Predicting a "Shane Wright Trade" thread soon, and hopefully someone posts his stare photo on the cover post.

• Roberts changed the title to [WHL] Kamloops Blazers Acquire Olen Zellweger & Ryan Hofer in MONSTER trade, Everett Silvertips acquire FOUR first round picks, Four players & Six more picks.
26 minutes ago, Odd. said:

What the hell, since when did Zellweger become worth all that much 

dont know much about juniors, never really followed it but im gunna assume thats a pretty big hull even in the WHL?, 19 and could possibly go to the AHL if the ducks want him up?

1 hour ago, Roberts said:

Winnipeg Ice also added a player from team Canada today. Vancouver Giants got a lot in return.

image.thumb.png.02277d823e15f48e5c7b4609be623443.png

Big fan of Ostapchuk. I think he'll succeed at the NHL level for sure.

1 hour ago, Roberts said:

I really wish they weren't afraid to. Current management has done essentially nothing other than a few very minor signings/trades

I've been harsh on the management for blowing the Miller vs Horvat decision.

But IMO, they've improved the roster in two major ways.

1. Kuz and Mikheyev brings complimentary skillset to our top 6.

Kuz was a great get. So is Mikheyev. These guys are legit top 6 players and we got two top 6 players in one off season. This gives us an option to move on from say, Garland (but really, Boeser). Also, these guys slotting in the line up earned development time for Hogs and Podz. All that is left is to re-sign Kuz but failing that, the management will be able to acquire a 1st round pick at the minimum for Kuzmenko (for free).

2. Dermott and Bear to improve on the weak links.

I really like Dermott. I think he is very much underrated. Yes, he is a bottom pairing defenceman but he is a high-end bottom pairing defenceman. Bear also isn't quite top 4D but like Dermott, he is a high-end bottom pairing defenceman. With them playing on our bottom pairs, we no longer have the weak links of Stillman, Pouliot, Biega, Sbisa, Clendening etc. Considering that sports is all about exposing the opponent's weak links over and over until it breaks, getting these two guys at the cost that we paid to get them, is fairly big deal. One of the reasons why 2009-2012 Canucks team defence was so strong is because of the depth on defence. I think Dermott and Bear provide us just that, well as long as we properly upgrade our top 4D.

I think they will focus in on upgrading the top 4D next, but I think it will take at least two seasons. Their first move will likely be to target a player like Severson from the UFA market. Assuming that we can't trade Myers:

Hughes-Severson

OEL-Myers

Dermott-Bear

Schenn (hoping he re-signs but he will have many suitors)

Then the season after next, we will be free of Myers's contract. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Big fan of Ostapchuk. I think he'll succeed at the NHL level for sure.

Exactly the type of player we all wish the Canucks GM would pick for our team and he happens to be a Canadian kid playing for the Vancouver GIants right in our backyard. 

I understand it went Ostapchuk, Morrow, Klimovich AND hey Klimovich could still turn into something, he was just so unknown when drafted at the time. But he is in our backyard now playing his sophmore season with the AHL Abbotsford Canucks

Klimovich 18pts last year in 62 AHL games played

This season so far he has 18pts in 28gp and is a plus player. Maybe Jeremy Colliton is the new management teams Canucks head coach they just had to ride out the Boudreau contract. Maybe Owner stepped in and didn't want Bruce fired? Management gets to assess Colliton closely in Abbotsford for the year to see if he is the type of coach they envision to be the NHL Canucks NEXT head coach!?!?

That is like a 1 year interview or apprenticeship they get before committing to Colliton as the NHL head coach for the Canucks. Leaving Boudreau out to dry clear the new regime of some flack as they can say he wasn't our guy the owner brought him in before we got hired. JR can say sure I endorsed Boudreau as the head coach but when asked that I was not yet the Canucks President I was merely in a face to face meeting with Canucks Owner Francesco Acquilini in my very own home back in Carolina.

But this off season and next year there is no more hiding or excuses ALL of the blame will start to fall on President JR and GM Alvin no more scapegoats for them

1 hour ago, jyu said:

I've been harsh on the management for blowing the Miller vs Horvat decision.

But IMO, they've improved the roster in two major ways.

1. Kuz and Mikheyev brings complimentary skillset to our top 6.

Kuz was a great get. So is Mikheyev. These guys are legit top 6 players and we got two top 6 players in one off season. This gives us an option to move on from say, Garland (but really, Boeser). Also, these guys slotting in the line up earned development time for Hogs and Podz. All that is left is to re-sign Kuz but failing that, the management will be able to acquire a 1st round pick at the minimum for Kuzmenko (for free).

2. Dermott and Bear to improve on the weak links.

I really like Dermott. I think he is very much underrated. Yes, he is a bottom pairing defenceman but he is a high-end bottom pairing defenceman. Bear also isn't quite top 4D but like Dermott, he is a high-end bottom pairing defenceman. With them playing on our bottom pairs, we no longer have the weak links of Stillman, Pouliot, Biega, Sbisa, Clendening etc. Considering that sports is all about exposing the opponent's weak links over and over until it breaks, getting these two guys at the cost that we paid to get them, is fairly big deal. One of the reasons why 2009-2012 Canucks team defence was so strong is because of the depth on defence. I think Dermott and Bear provide us just that, well as long as we properly upgrade our top 4D.

I think they will focus in on upgrading the top 4D next, but I think it will take at least two seasons. Their first move will likely be to target a player like Severson from the UFA market. Assuming that we can't trade Myers:

Hughes-Severson

OEL-Myers

Dermott-Bear

Schenn (hoping he re-signs but he will have many suitors)

Then the season after next, we will be free of Myers's contract. 

Signing UFAs can not be credited to management. They were free players. All they did was offer a contract and the player said "sounds good"

• Roberts changed the title to [WHL] Kamloops Blazers Acquire Olen Zellweger & Ryan Hofer in MONSTER trade, Everett Silvertips acquire four players, FOUR first round picks, & Six other picks.
6 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

dont know much about juniors, never really followed it but im gunna assume thats a pretty big hull even in the WHL?, 19 and could possibly go to the AHL if the ducks want him up?

Pretty much. You really only see these massive trades out east but rarely if ever in the WHL. 

• Thanks 1

Too early to place a bet on the Everett Silvertips to win the championship in 2025? That's an insane haul for what seems like a couple of very good but not generational players. If the Blazers don't win the championship this year, this is going to look very silly, isn't it?

Having said all that, I don't follow the WHL at all but on the surface this looks like a crazy trade.

18 hours ago, Bounce000 said:

That looks like my grocery receipt. I know the Blazers are hosting the memorial cup but damn, that’s a lot of future.

in a transition league where top players play two years at most and its entirely based on future young players, i think this is quite a dumb trade. 

even if it is a memorial cup thing, they're mortgaging their entire future for the next few years just for this tournament. 

i suppose they could trade players later on to reacquire those assets but lol.

24 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

in a transition league where top players play two years at most and its entirely based on future young players, i think this is quite a dumb trade. 

even if it is a memorial cup thing, they're mortgaging their entire future for the next few years just for this tournament. 

i suppose they could trade players later on to reacquire those assets but lol.

Well Zellweger should be eligible for the AHL next year so that’s where he’ll be. So I would say Kamloops got fairly bent over, Memorial Cup or bust this year. And Seattle is looking like an absolute unit as well now that they just got Brad Lambert.