The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford Interview with Pittsburgh beat writer

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I hope you're right. I don't see how anything will be done quickly after all the handcuffs from last offseason.

I meant more my opinion of his job - getting a good return for Horvat or (a) return for Miller.. particularly adding an extra first this draft and I’d likely be mollified.  

Bonus points if he can move on from Myers and start reshaping the D.

2 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

If there is one thing Rutherford isn't,  it's being patient.  Penguins fans rightfully remember "Trader Jim" as someone who will openly talk bad about his own guys.  He famously threw Boudreau under the bus this season.  Being impatient worked on a team seeking to win every single year.  We are not Pittsburgh.  

I’ve heard that but just watched a John Shannon interview with Donny and Dhali where he said Rutherford was super grumpy but tuning everything out and trying to stay the course.  

I remember Gillis being like that and as much as I didn’t like the Schneider and Luongo debacle he ended up landing some great pieces there. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah at least, besides that I'm hoping we can lose at least one more contract like Boeser or Garland as well. No way Myers is dealt with. JR should be turfed immediately if he pays anything to get rid of a 1 yr contract.

I think that’s fair as I’m hoping the same or similar results.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah at least, besides that I'm hoping we can lose at least one more contract like Boeser or Garland as well. No way Myers is dealt with. JR should be turfed immediately if he pays anything to get rid of a 1 yr contract.

I bring up Myers because of the old “only 1 mil salary but 6 mil of cap after such and such a date” but you’re right - a part of me seriously doubts it will happen this summer.  Maybe at next deadline if we eat some salary or take back a similar contract. Could actually bring a tangible return there, too. 

And yeah.. so many ways this deadline / offseason could play out.  I just hope it plays out better than the last few.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I bring up Myers because of the old “only 1 mil salary but 6 mil of cap after such and such a date” but you’re right - a part of me seriously doubts it will happen this summer.  Maybe at next deadline if we eat some salary or take back a similar contract. Could actually bring a tangible return there, too. 

And yeah.. so many ways this deadline / offseason could play out.  I just hope it plays out better than the last few.

Yeah I concur… heard so much about so many teams in cap hell and everyone who can’t make trades I really wonder if this is going to be a couple year project to be a playoff team, let alone be considered a contender. I’ve been to three games this year and it is so painful I already know I’m not going to any next year!!

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

I’ve heard that but just watched a John Shannon interview with Donny and Dhali where he said Rutherford was super grumpy but tuning everything out and trying to stay the course.  

I remember Gillis being like that and as much as I didn’t like the Schneider and Luongo debacle he ended up landing some great pieces there. 

What's the course, though?  Where are we headed?  Allvin made some small changes and one massive contract extension.  Picks were traded away.  Now we are a team that is very likely to finish in the bottom half, just outside of the playoffs.  We are too talented to completely suck but obviously far from making it to the postseason.  We are set to lose our captain to free agency.  God forbid the Canucks actually start going on a run and the GM decides to go all-in on this season.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

What's the course, though?  Where are we headed?  Allvin made some small changes and one massive contract extension.  Picks were traded away.  Now we are a team that is very likely to finish in the bottom half, just outside of the playoffs.  We are too talented to completely suck but obviously far from making it to the postseason.  We are set to lose our captain to free agency.  God forbid the Canucks actually start going on a run and the GM decides to go all-in on this season.

Clearly the direction is the same as our owner has always wanted.  We build around a core five.  Bo is one of those five.  He will be extended.  It’s what our owner wants.  We, as fans, may not agree with the owner’s direction, but that’s where we are going.  Management will try to build a better supporting group (that costs less than the current one) so they can afford a bump in cap allocation to the core five (Bo + Petey coming up for new contracts) 

So really the direction (plan) is clear.  

• Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I think stay the course simply meant no knee jerk reactions - they’ll wait until they think they have the best offers on the table, rather than do something just to take the heat off.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Clearly the direction is the same as our owner has always wanted.  We build around a core five.  Bo is one of those five.  He will be extended.  It’s what our owner wants.  We, as fans, may not agree with the owner’s direction, but that’s where we are going.  Management will try to build a better supporting group (that costs less than the current one) so they can afford a bump in cap allocation to the core five (Bo + Petey coming up for new contracts) 

So really the direction (plan) is clear.  

No way in hell he wants a loser team with the same core.

19 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I think stay the course simply meant no knee jerk reactions - they’ll wait until they think they have the best offers on the table, rather than do something just to take the heat off.

No knee jerk reaction? You must be joking.

Why tf did he sign miller when he still had a year left? if that’s not a knee jerk reaction then it was plain stupid. 

Easy to leave out things that don’t fit your narrative eh

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Zerofaith said:

No knee jerk reaction? You must be joking.

Why tf did he sign miller when he still had a year left? if that’s not a knee jerk reaction then it was plain stupid. 

Easy to leave out things that don’t fit your narrative eh

No idea what you’re on about.  I wanted Miller gone but I wouldn’t call re-signing him a reactionary move. 

In any case I was referring to making a move based on the losing season just for the sake of making a move.  To distract media and fans to give them something to talk about.  As of yet he hasn’t done that.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1