The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford Interview with Pittsburgh beat writer

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

4 hours ago, grandmaster said:

JR and BB are both really old seniors. This Canuck team will send them both to an early grave.

I know for a fact that this team has cost many of us fans several years off our lives as well!

Grim Reaper Halloween GIF

That's why we need some youth running the show 

cut (1).jpg

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

“In Vancouver, we have a CFL football team, but we don’t have NFL or Major League Baseball like you do in Pittsburgh,” Rutherford said. “And a big thing here — and I totally understand it — is the frustration of having a franchise for as long as they have, getting to the (Stanley Cup) Finals a few times but not winning the Cup. And then of course, even worse than that, is a number of years without being a playoff team."

I actually don't like that they're aware of fans' frustration.  It doesn't help or make things better going forward.  

The best rational way to deal with the current situation does not involve letting past failures impair your present-day decisions. 

I still find that statement very concerning. It shows the goal is end the short term frustration of missing the playoffs is the priority, not the long-term frustration of no cup. We will sacrifice the long-term potential of being a cup contender for the short term chance to scrape into the playoffs sooner. 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Absolutely, would have looked like a great move if we made the playoffs, 3 scoring lines sounds great, but problem is we only have 2 defensive pairs able to defend. Instead of spending 8M on Miller and 5M on Mikheyev, IMO we should have waited until the next season to decide on what to do with Miller and Bo. 

As for the 5M in cap space we had...I know there weren't many decent UFA defencemen this off-season but we could have signed one of these guys:

1) Schultz - I know he's 32 but he's having a heck of a year with Seattle, 21 points in 37 games, RD, local boy, playing 18-20 minutes. Was signed to a 3M deal.

2) Ruuta - I know, older too at 33, but he's playing 20 minutes-ish a night in Pittsburgh, 7 points in 39 games, +7, a big strong RD and making just 2.7M

3) Zadorov - younger, big strong guy, decent points and +/-, re-signed in Calgary but was looking around free agency, he can certainly play on the right and can play 20+ minutes, got a 3.7M deal

I know none of these guys are great but they're so much cheaper than a 5M winger and would have filled a massive hole this team has. If we want to win now you can't just go looking for young guys, an older veteran RD who can still play 20 minutes would have been so perfect for this team. Instead we load up on wingers, score plenty of goals but get thrashed defensively - no surprises there.

Or even better, we could have saved the money by trading Miller and not sign Mika (again I like Mika, but the timing suck), and just rolled with what we had for one season only. Likely wouldn't have had Kuz neither ( who knows), but we would have had a good go at drafting in the top 4-5, and with that a decent chance in the Bedard sweepstakes...

And in the next offseason take stock, knowing Giraffe will be off the books 12 month after. 
I am sure there are other Millers and Mikas out there at those prizes.
As for Kuz, that would be a shame, but he is likely gone at TDL or off season anyway. 

At the moment it feels we are going sidewards tather than up or downwards, which isn't good for anyone..

40 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I still find that statement very concerning. It shows the goal is end the short term frustration of missing the playoffs is the priority, not the long-term frustration of no cup. We will sacrifice the long-term potential of being a cup contender for the short term chance to scrape into the playoffs sooner. 

I don't think he meant missing the playoffs for a few years is worse than not winning the cup for half a century, I think he meant that it compounds the frustration for the fans. it makes matters worse, not it is worse. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Absolutely, I thought after the Dermott deal and a few minor moves here and there Allvin and co. would be hell-bent on saving cap and then they splash 8M on a center-turned-winger, and the biggest surprise was the Mikheyev deal. He is one of our best players and top-line winger, no doubt about it, but we just spent 5M we didn't have. I was a bit disappointed, especially considering we already have 6.5M in Brock, 5M in Garland, a freebie granted to us that off-season in Kuzmenko and then (I suppose to everyone's surprise though) Miller becomes a winger. Before signing Mikheyev I thought we should have at least moved one of Boeser or Garland. You just can't have so much cap space tied up on wingers. Then we just have Petey and Bo down the middle, with a bunch of fringe-AHLers filling the 3C and 4C role. Lazar has been a great signing, sure, but they could have just re-signed Lammikko so really there's no benefit or drop off there (if anything Lazar is producing next to zero offence so you could argue, our 4th line's a lot worse than the prime trio of Lammy-Motte-Highmore last year).

Biggest disappointment is lack of upgrading this defence obviously but they had the cap space last off-season, they just splashed a good 13M on 3 wingers.

That is not a team who is trying to rebuild or retool, that is a team who is trying to win now and of course it hasn't worked out - we have ignored our D completely.

Honestly, Mikheyev has made both Garland AND Boeser expendable imo. That extra 7 ish mil in cap could be distributed to either 2 actual 3rd liners or 1 3rd liner and a 4/5D.

One obvious fix for the team's defensive woes is to have an actual shutdown line that can play PK minutes and actually cover for the dmen when they inevitably pinch and get caught in the Ozone.

A top 6 consisting of Kuz, Miller, Bo, Petey, Mik and Pearson (eventually passed by hogz or Podz) is more than sufficient to have a good offense, and strong Powerplay. 

Basically, imagine having Torres-Malhotra-Hansen type line on this team. We would instantly be better with a 3rd line that plays the same way those guys did for the Sedins & Kesler. 4th line is already set with Joshua Lazar and Lockwood, who are good at what they do and contribute offensively from time to time, no complaints. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hiring Rutherford and his succubus Alvin was a huge mistake. One of many that the clowns who own this team have made. This organization is bunk. 

suc·cu·bus
/ˈsəkyəbəs/

noun
noun: succubus; plural noun: succubi
  1. a female demon believed to have sexual intercourse with sleeping men.

This post is bunk :lol:
  • Haha 1

I never liked this guy..Dragging our coach through the mud too. Bruce is probably the nicest person I've ever met but you can see it's effecting him a lot. Hey Jim Coaches job is to coach and your job is to provide that talent which you suck at! Now gimmie my Linden back!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Honestly, Mikheyev has made both Garland AND Boeser expendable imo. That extra 7 ish mil in cap could be distributed to either 2 actual 3rd liners or 1 3rd liner and a 4/5D.

One obvious fix for the team's defensive woes is to have an actual shutdown line that can play PK minutes and actually cover for the dmen when they inevitably pinch and get caught in the Ozone.

A top 6 consisting of Kuz, Miller, Bo, Petey, Mik and Pearson (eventually passed by hogz or Podz) is more than sufficient to have a good offense, and strong Powerplay. 

Basically, imagine having Torres-Malhotra-Hansen type line on this team. We would instantly be better with a 3rd line that plays the same way those guys did for the Sedins & Kesler. 4th line is already set with Joshua Lazar and Lockwood, who are good at what they do and contribute offensively from time to time, no complaints. 

Bingo.

Wish we'd just "Bjorkstrand" Garland and either moved Boeser for a pittance or let him go UFA. And signed a couple more "Mikheyev's" and built out a legit 3rd line.

That extra cap probably would have been enough to grab Marino as well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

Honest question @Westcoasting, if Canucks made a whole sale of players and started a rebuild around Petey and Hughes only, with lots of draft picks, and prospects coming on to the team instead, would you still be attending games? more/less?

Reason for question, is the ongoing debate about rebuilding. I know a few good posters, has said they would prefer tear down instead of putting a few plasters on an already dead horse, and I have come to the same conclusion, but in the end it's about the fans attending the games, I think. You vote with your cash, like in any business.

Honestly they could trade anyone or everyone… what I need is a hardworking group that plays that way for 60 minutes. There is always a couple players having off games and not quite in sync I get it and that doesn’t bother me. I don’t even mind losing as long as I see honest effort. Like throw a damn hit or shoot at the damn net and quit trying to be fancy. Skate like hell trying to backaches and if you can’t catch them welll then throw a hit when you finally catch up lol. I believe there is a serious coaching problem too, common sense hockey just is not happening with this group.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Bingo.

Wish we'd just "Bjorkstrand" Garland and either moved Boeser for a pittance or let him go UFA. And signed a couple more "Mikheyev's" and built out a legit 3rd line.

That extra cap probably would have been enough to grab Marino as well.

If the rumors are true and Garland is on the buyout list for this summer, it means management has seen that Mikheyev is a perfect fit on this top 6, which would mean to me that they most likely think that Boeser is also expendable.

I see posts about Mikheyev all over this board and I really believe that people are seriously not valuing what he brings to the team, and all that because other people on the team make more money and do less. 

Mikheyev is a 1st line player on this team. Think about that CDC. He doesn't just play there because of opportunity and lack of talent on the roster, he FITS on our 1st line. For 4.75 for 4 years. I do that deal 10/10 times again. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Yep, a big overlooked problem this year is our pathetic bottom 6. They're basically AHLers. Management spent a lot of time revamping our 3/4th line and they're much worse.

Petey, Bo or Miller were realistically never going to be a 3C, they should be ashamed in thinking so in the off-season. They went the route of having 3 scoring lines and it really didn't work.

I say in the offseason our priority should be fixing the D AND getting a third line center who can defend. There were SO many available, and most went very cheaply (Jarnkrok, Janmark, Tierney etc.) and we didn't even bother going after anyone. We had our hat in the Rodrigues hat at the end but he got paid well, and he's more of a scoring center. Again, management prioritise scoring up front and forget about the defensive responsibilities of the game. We get Lazar but he's just a replacement for Lammikko we didn't need. Joshua replaces Highmore. No one replaces Motte. So if anything, our 4th line is worse than last year, and we have no 3C.

Right now our 3C has rotated around Aman and Dries who, to be fair, are AHLers. Lazar is great but brings next to zero offence. Not many teams out there have a better 4C than their 3C. On wing Garland looks good at times for a third line center, Pearson has been very sub-par (and injured) and now we have AHLer Lockwood on the wing.

It's a hole of our team often over-looked. We just needed a solid center to stabilise that 3rd line. Instead of getting a 3C and top-4 defenceman, we resign Miller, Mik and Kuz - that's 3 wingers....

No surprise what we're seeing on the ice, bad defence, bad PK, average faceoffs but we score a tonne but lose more than we win. Hate to say it but if we didn't sign Mikheyev or Miller (or traded him) and snagged a cheap 3C and traded or signed a UFA defenceman this would be a more well balanced team and dare I say a playoff team. Winger heavy, brutal bottom 6 and thin defence is what has caused this mess on ice. 100% management's fault.

• There it is 1