The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford Interview with Pittsburgh beat writer

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

11 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Honestly they could trade anyone or everyone… what I need is a hardworking group that plays that way for 60 minutes. There is always a couple players having off games and not quite in sync I get it and that doesn’t bother me. I don’t even mind losing as long as I see honest effort. Like throw a damn hit or shoot at the damn net and quit trying to be fancy. Skate like hell trying to backaches and if you can’t catch them welll then throw a hit when you finally catch up lol. I believe there is a serious coaching problem too, common sense hockey just is not happening with this group.

This team has been inconsistent for some time now. They were inconsistent with Green, commonly coming out flat in the first period and then playing catch up for the next two periods. I think there's a huge lack of chemistry with this roster and far too many passengers who don't seem to care to have any urgency in their game whatsoever. 

Management and coaching have changed yet the same issues persist. Any issues at the present fall firmly and solely on the players themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Honestly they could trade anyone or everyone… what I need is a hardworking group that plays that way for 60 minutes. There is always a couple players having off games and not quite in sync I get it and that doesn’t bother me. I don’t even mind losing as long as I see honest effort. Like throw a damn hit or shoot at the damn net and quit trying to be fancy. Skate like hell trying to backaches and if you can’t catch them welll then throw a hit when you finally catch up lol. I believe there is a serious coaching problem too, common sense hockey just is not happening with this group.

Think we all feel like that... disheartning when they just go through emotions...

It always annoyed me, in any sport, when the athletes don't give a 100% regardless of circumstances. 

I know that sometimes it just don't work, but it has happened far too often. 

It is the reason I've finally come the conclusion a rebuild is needed. Not sure if its coaching or what, but it doesn't seem to change. Seeing Miller almost crawl back to the bench at times is infuriating, but he is far from alone... 

Throw a few hit, play with a bit of agression and get the fans on your side... surely that's the minimum requirement...

• Cheers 1

Should have hired Lombardi instead. Another failed hiring by Aqua. 

JR missed the nail completely, the frustration isn't lack of playoffs or the cup. Yes that is the symptoms but  not the root cause. The frustration is the complete refusal to rebuild this team properly and trying to bandaid over problem with more headaches in old fart bad players on expensive long term contracts. 

They compounded the problem by resigning Miller which deserves to have this while management fired on the spot. 

We have management for a decade that don't comprehend they operate in a hard cap league. 

Edited by 24K PureCool

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Think we all feel like that... disheartning when they just go through emotions...

It always annoyed me, in any sport, when the athletes don't give a 100% regardless of circumstances. 

It is the reason I've finally come the conclusion a rebuild is needed. Not sure if its coaching or what, but it doesn't seem to change. Seeing Miller almost crawl back to the bench at times is infuriating, but he is far from alone... 

Throw a few hit, play with a bit of agression and get the fans on your side... surely that's the minimum requirement...

I will say that some players on this team do come to play pretty consistently. Schenn, Bear, Lazar, Joshua, Pettersson, Horvat, Hughes, and Delia come to mind

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I will say that some players on this team do come to play pretty consistently. Schenn, Bear, Lazar, Joshua, Pettersson, Horvat, Hughes, and Delia come to mind

Yep... a third of the team...

Schenn is the poster boy for hard work... wish we had a whole team like him. 

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

If the rumors are true and Garland is on the buyout list for this summer, it means management has seen that Mikheyev is a perfect fit on this top 6, which would mean to me that they most likely think that Boeser is also expendable.

I see posts about Mikheyev all over this board and I really believe that people are seriously not valuing what he brings to the team, and all that because other people on the team make more money and do less. 

Mikheyev is a 1st line player on this team. Think about that CDC. He doesn't just play there because of opportunity and lack of talent on the roster, he FITS on our 1st line. For 4.75 for 4 years. I do that deal 10/10 times again. 

Its not that the Mika deal isn't great, but it didn't fit the narrative of getting away from the cap hell... especially while signing Miller to an 8year extention. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This team has been inconsistent for some time now. They were inconsistent with Green, commonly coming out flat in the first period and then playing catch up for the next two periods. I think there's a huge lack of chemistry with this roster and far too many passengers who don't seem to care to have any urgency in their game whatsoever. 

Management and coaching have changed yet the same issues persist. Any issues at the present fall firmly and solely on the players themselves. 

Yeah just watching Winterpeg the other night, they all play the game… I was really impressed with their team play.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hiring Rutherford and his hecubus Alvin was a huge mistake. One of many that the clowns who own this team have made. This organization is bunk. 

I had a bad feeling about this management group after JR hired Allvin after a fake drown out process. 

It was a complete nepotism hire. Inept management was inevitable. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yep, a big overlooked problem this year is our pathetic bottom 6. They're basically AHLers. Management spent a lot of time revamping our 3/4th line and they're much worse.

Petey, Bo or Miller were realistically never going to be a 3C, they should be ashamed in thinking so in the off-season. They went the route of having 3 scoring lines and it really didn't work.

I say in the offseason our priority should be fixing the D AND getting a third line center who can defend. There were SO many available, and most went very cheaply (Jarnkrok, Janmark, Tierney etc.) and we didn't even bother going after anyone. We had our hat in the Rodrigues hat at the end but he got paid well, and he's more of a scoring center. Again, management prioritise scoring up front and forget about the defensive responsibilities of the game. We get Lazar but he's just a replacement for Lammikko we didn't need. Joshua replaces Highmore. No one replaces Motte. So if anything, our 4th line is worse than last year, and we have no 3C.

Right now our 3C has rotated around Aman and Dries who, to be fair, are AHLers. Lazar is great but brings next to zero offence. Not many teams out there have a better 4C than their 3C. On wing Garland looks good at times for a third line center, Pearson has been very sub-par (and injured) and now we have AHLer Lockwood on the wing.

It's a hole of our team often over-looked. We just needed a solid center to stabilise that 3rd line. Instead of getting a 3C and top-4 defenceman, we resign Miller, Mik and Kuz - that's 3 wingers....

No surprise what we're seeing on the ice, bad defence, bad PK, average faceoffs but we score a tonne but lose more than we win. Hate to say it but if we didn't sign Mikheyev or Miller (or traded him) and snagged a cheap 3C and traded or signed a UFA defenceman this would be a more well balanced team and dare I say a playoff team. Winger heavy, brutal bottom 6 and thin defence is what has caused this mess on ice. 100% management's fault.

Mikheyev is not the problem, the guy is playing great hockey for a bargain (see the post you quoted from me to see how I feel about him). We are lucky to have him imo. The 4th line is also decent, they get their job done, but it's a shame that they aren't good PKers. They've also potted close to 10 goals in half a season, we can live with that I think. The problem is primarily our 3rd line. They don't serve a purpose. They're small, soft, and play on the perimeter. The entire 3rd line should be revamped, and I think that change alone fixes a lot of issues. 3 defensively responsible players who can match with opponents' 2nd lines would be ideal, and who could PK at a better-than-last-in-the-league rate, and a 3C that can win draws. I think a 4th line of Lazar-Joshua-Studnicka/Lockwood is more than viable and keeps our cap low to fill out our 3rd line.

18 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yeah exactly how I feel. How about this… Tyler Myers, everybody hates this guy and his contract ( including me) he makes bad decisions, gets lost out there… but he does show up and gives a great effort… he hits, he skates hard… ugh I’m so mad!!! OEL… total opposite! We never know what we are going to get with this team!

3 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I’ve thought that numerous times as well! Like why not try him… can’t be worse than any other jackazz

Cause the organization have to fire him at some point and it is probably good to keep him out of the spotlight so the team don't have to fire a legend again. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

Yep Schenn is the real deal of a hockey player. Even his Toronto days I thought he was good but being such a high pick there was so much more expected out of him.

If Schenn was a better skater- he's be a hell of a D man.

Still 17 years in the league is very, very impressive!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Yep Schenn is the real deal of a hockey player. Even his Toronto days I thought he was good but being such a high pick there was so much more expected out of him.

Damn rights, Westcoasting. I know he'll be in high demand come the trade deadline, but I'd prefer that the Canucks attempt to hold onto him as he's the exact type of player that sets a great example as a veteran, and a player in general.