The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford Interview with Pittsburgh beat writer

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Bingo.

Wish we'd just "Bjorkstrand" Garland and either moved Boeser for a pittance or let him go UFA. And signed a couple more "Mikheyev's" and built out a legit 3rd line.

That extra cap probably would have been enough to grab Marino as well.

We just had to let Boeser go to UFA. Hell, even a one year QO deal at the higher number would've been better. 

No idea how we manage to move on from him now. 

Garland is a better player at a lower number. If I was a team in need of scoring, I'd trade for Garland in a heartbeat. 

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Confession time:

I'm getting very close to just walking away from this organization.

Decades, and decades, as a fan. Used to keep sheets of data and projections.

Years and years and YEARS of listening to the games- because they were not on T.V.

Stayed up late to watch games- even with work starting at 5:20 AM

Come down to the big city to see a few games live.

Ferry costs, hotel costs, gas costs, food costs; to see "my" team.-Not sure I'd go for free, right now.

Games run about 3hrs:

Could spend that time learning a different language, working  around the house;  or just doing mean things to my cat. So many options that are becoming more appealing as the days go by.

Just getting so tired of this.

Join me in becoming Kracken fans. Think the ferry down to Seattle is cheaper amd faster than to Van? From what I heard from my friend on the island anyways. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Confession time:

Years and years and YEARS of listening to the games- because they were not on T.V.

Ferry costs, hotel costs, gas costs, food costs; to see "my" team.-Not sure I'd go for free, right now.

Games run about 3hrs:

Could spend that time learning a different language, working  around the house;  or just doing mean things to my cat. So many options that are becoming more appealing as the days go by.

I’m actually thinking of jumping on the Kracken bandwagon… by the time I get off the island to Van and pay overpriced room, meals, shopping etc… I might just start going to Seattle, maybe plan it to see a Seahawks game the next day… hmmm or Vegas even

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Confession time:

Games run about 3hrs:

I hear you, Gurn. I've backed right off from watching games and haven't seen one in person for years. I only come in here after the game to muck about and have fun and lighten what's becoming an increasingly darker mood. It's become a very deflating experience to be a fan of this team, especially one that has followed for years (I remember seeing games at the Coliseum) and has seen the lack of development or consistency for the last decade. 

I'm thinking that a fair portion of the fanbase is feeling the same. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

Join me in becoming Kracken fans. Think the ferry down to Seattle is cheaper amd faster than to Van? From what I heard from my friend on the island anyways. 

If you live in the Victoria area, the trip to Seattle or Vancouver are both 1 ferry away.

Powell River, on the other hand is on the mainland, but  no road connection, as the highway around 2 fjords/inlets would take hours to travel. Thus we get 2 ferries and about an hour and a half drive between them to get to Vancouver.

5 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

You catch a ferry from Victoria to Seattle? I thought that ferry goes to Port Angeles on the Olympic Peninsula.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You catch a ferry from Victoria to Seattle? I thought that ferry goes to Port Angeles on the Olympic Peninsula.

Iirc there are two ferries.

One from Sidney to Annacortes; and the other from downtown Victoria into Seattle- think it is called 'the Clipper'?

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Confession time:

Games run about 3hrs:

This team is a mess, but it's always been like this, with brief spurts of greatness.

20 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

We just had to let Boeser go to UFA. Hell, even a one year QO deal at the higher number would've been better. 

No idea how we manage to move on from him now. 

Garland is a better player at a lower number. If I was a team in need of scoring, I'd trade for Garland in a heartbeat. 

Hindsight is 20/20. If we let him go to UFA, we'd have no shortage of people bringing up examples of Tanev and Toffoli.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

This team is a mess, but it's always been like this, with brief spurts of greatness.

Seems the only thing that changes is me, and despite my high preservative diet; I am getting older.

Running out of time to cheer for a cup winner.

Ottawa looks like a better bet-even our expansion sibling Buffalo looks to have a better future.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Iirc there are two ferries.

One from Sidney to Annacortes; and the other from downtown Victoria into Seattle- think it is called 'the Clipper'?

I was thinking of this one:

"Black Ball Ferry Line operates the M.V. Coho passenger and vehicle ferry linking Victoria, BC on Vancouver Island with Port Angeles, WA on the scenic Olympic Peninsula. It is the most direct ferry crossing between Victoria and the United States, with daily, year-round service provided."

• Upvote 1

Since I've been a diehard Canucks fan, and it hasn't been as long as most long haulers, I can't remember when it was this bad, this negative, like a dark cloud hanging over the entire team from the Owner down to the 13th forward. Miller's outbursts, Pettersson throwing his stick in frustration, Horvat playing lights out with one foot out the door.  

I'm sick of the way things have gone, and where is the President or GM? What is the Plan? No one really knows. 

I heard Horvat could be offered $9 by another team. If this is true, why are they waiting? For Bo to get injured and then he walks after the season? FFS I'm so frustrated at the non-activity to make things better. This team has been sinking for a long while now and JR/PA are just sitting there with their popcorn watching it go down. 

Careful Francesco, the Kraken are just down the road. I'm sure you don't want to lose fans to the new shiny, BETTER team next door. Fix this!

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I hear you, Gurn. I've backed right off from watching games and haven't seen one in person for years. I only come in here after the game to muck about and have fun and lighten what's becoming an increasingly darker mood. It's become a very deflating experience to be a fan of this team, especially one that has followed for years (I remember seeing games at the Coliseum) and has seen the lack of development or consistency for the last decade. 

I'm thinking that a fair portion of the fanbase is feeling the same. 

Other than the Pavel Bure and Trevor Linden years and the magical run of 1982 I don't think there was ever much to watch or get excited about during the Pacific Coliseum years.  The best games were when Montreal, Toronto, Boston and Edmonton came to town.  And most people weren't coming to watch Vancouver for those games. 

The Pacific Coliseum was half empty on many occasions.  The smartest fans were the ones that bought the cheap seats at the top and then moved down to the lower bowl after the 1st period where there were thousands of empty seats...

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

46 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I am losing faith in this management group fast, and I'll guess that the Bozos in charge will end up losing Pettersson at the end of next season, because he won't want to extend long term playing in VAN - especially after they trade Horvat and Boeser.

Petey knows the real direction of the team, the same way Kesler saw the direction when he wanted out. That'll be a s***-storm.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yep, a big overlooked problem this year is our pathetic bottom 6. They're basically AHLers. Management spent a lot of time revamping our 3/4th line and they're much worse.

Petey, Bo or Miller were realistically never going to be a 3C, they should be ashamed in thinking so in the off-season. They went the route of having 3 scoring lines and it really didn't work.

I say in the offseason our priority should be fixing the D AND getting a third line center who can defend. There were SO many available, and most went very cheaply (Jarnkrok, Janmark, Tierney etc.) and we didn't even bother going after anyone. We had our hat in the Rodrigues hat at the end but he got paid well, and he's more of a scoring center. Again, management prioritise scoring up front and forget about the defensive responsibilities of the game. We get Lazar but he's just a replacement for Lammikko we didn't need. Joshua replaces Highmore. No one replaces Motte. So if anything, our 4th line is worse than last year, and we have no 3C.

Right now our 3C has rotated around Aman and Dries who, to be fair, are AHLers. Lazar is great but brings next to zero offence. Not many teams out there have a better 4C than their 3C. On wing Garland looks good at times for a third line center, Pearson has been very sub-par (and injured) and now we have AHLer Lockwood on the wing.

It's a hole of our team often over-looked. We just needed a solid center to stabilise that 3rd line. Instead of getting a 3C and top-4 defenceman, we resign Miller, Mik and Kuz - that's 3 wingers....

No surprise what we're seeing on the ice, bad defence, bad PK, average faceoffs but we score a tonne but lose more than we win. Hate to say it but if we didn't sign Mikheyev or Miller (or traded him) and snagged a cheap 3C and traded or signed a UFA defenceman this would be a more well balanced team and dare I say a playoff team. Winger heavy, brutal bottom 6 and thin defence is what has caused this mess on ice. 100% management's fault.

I think the original plan was to run Pettersson / Miller / Horvat down the middle but that quickly changed when Miller decided to mail it in as soon as he signed his nice retirement contract. The three of them down the middle playing the way they can / should is as good as any other team in the league. Too bad our team has an AHL defense and no structure.