The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OEL has now sunk into the top 10 worst +/- players in the entire National Hockey League out of all 869 players.

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

10 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

No, it's next level delusion. 

I get what he means. They are far underperforming for what they are paid for. 

Not quite useless. But man are they an adventure in our own zone. 

But their contracts are turning into boat anchors.

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Agreed, and save $5-6 mil in the process.

All we can do is hope he doesn't get any worse than he already is.

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Torts isn't doing all that well in Philly, so....

Nah, you're completely off-point here.  The Flyers have a million problems on their hands, from top to bottom.  Torts is not one of them.  The Flyers... are a lot like us in that ownership/management seems rotten to the core.  Imagine if we replaced Jim Benning with Chuck Fletcher.  Oh I feel bad for Flyers fans... but they should pity us, too.

26 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

How come our worst dman leads our team in defensive point shares every season? And yes I’m talking about Myers.

Whatever value he salvaged back last year has been thrown away again this year.  He and OEL were both putting up respectable numbers... last year.  I give you full credit - you're making a valid point here, but it's interesting you've put up a stat that is heavily tied to his plus/minus.  You're not actually suggesting he's our best defensive player by virtue of his (relatively) high DPS?

23 minutes ago, combover said:

The team is just so bad up and down 

im no fan of the OEL trade but it’s almost at the point you can’t judge individuals on this team. The TEAM sucks 

its never been a good mix of talent we have good players just not the right players it’s been this way since no plan  Jb took over. The most expensive players don’t make them the best options Jb never figured that out. 
And we just continue doing it. 

Nonsense - we are always just one player away from being Avalanche/Lightning tier.  Management has told us this for over 8 years!  Just a small bowl of salary cap'n crunch and the cup is ours, my friend...

3 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Nah, you're completely off-point here.  The Flyers have a million problems on their hands, from top to bottom.  Torts is not one of them.  The Flyers... are a lot like us in that ownership/management seems rotten to the core.  Imagine if we replaced Jim Benning with Chuck Fletcher.  Oh I feel bad for Flyers fans... but they should pity us, too.

Whatever value he salvaged back last year has been thrown away again this year.  He and OEL were both putting up respectable numbers... last year.  I give you full credit - you're making a valid point here, but it's interesting you've put up a stat that is heavily tied to his plus/minus.  You're not actually suggesting he's our best defensive player by virtue of his (relatively) high DPS?

No not his plus minus, his defensive point shares. Defensive plays that lead to offence. Myers has and still leads the team since Edler and Tanev left

4 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Not just DPS. His % of zone starts, his goals against, level of competition, oiSV%, high danger chances against etc. all these stats compared to his % of dzone deployment which is an indicator of where he is primarily used. If his numbers are the same, slightly better or worse than the players who face weaker competition and spend 2-3x more time in the ozone than their dzone… its clear that Myers and OEL are doing their job. Our goalies negative GSAA proves that goaltending is hurting us and their stats. Ontop of that if they are spending 65% of their time deployed in their own zone, their offence disappears and when they do make a mistake it winds up in our net because they are bound to make mistakes with that much time in their own zone. Whereas Hughes, Bear and Schenn spend more time in the ozone so IF they make a mistake, we lose possession and they have 2 zones to fix the mistake, where as OEL and Myers need to make up for anymistakes in the very same zone

Myers is a +3 on the season, this stat is sometimes so bogus, especially on a team that scores so much. 

If we're not able to move OEL's contract we should look to try and improve him with a better partner. We're looking for a top 4 RD to play with Hughes, but realistically we need one for OEL too.

Bear has played admirably while being here and is the easy choice for top-4 RD next year and I'd like to see him paired with the slower OEL to help cover a bit more, then we hunt for a physical stud for Hughes and dump Myers.

In the ideal world, we'd trade a winger (Miller) for a top RD (say Severson) to play with Hughes, another forward (say Boeser) for another RD (Dumba), trade Myers to whoever will take him, play Bear on the bottom pairing with Schenn or Dermott and we've finally got an all-NHL defence. I know Severson and Dumba are far from reliable defensively but they're proper bonified relatively youngish RDs who can play a good 20-25 minutes. I think if OEL played with a proper top-4 RD he'd become much better too defensively.

Just quietly he's on pace for 40pts too

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

The guy won't block shot and is barely trying out there on the ice.

He has no passion left for the game and all he is doing is coming in to collect his paycheck which he knows he can get away with cause of his nmc. 

The only thing the team can do is to sit his behind in the press box and bore him into retirement but I think he would just prefer that too. So the only way out for this team is to get an expert to figure out how to get OEL allergic to hockey equipments.

He actively gets out of the way of shots. It's actually pretty disgusting to watch.

• Sad 1

Why are we doing this x of all NHL players thing? Also it's +/- on a losing team what do you expect? 

Worst trade in modern Canucks history acquiring this guy, but this is just silly. Maybe if he was like 150th out of 800th.

It sickens me to think of the possibility that the Sedins vouched hard for OEL, against conventional wisdom, partly because OEL is Swedish and a good friend of theirs. After all, he was widely regarded as one of the worst contracts in the league, and I doubt they couldn't see that.

Benning and Wesibrod have lost their jobs, but the Sedins are still with the organization. I'd like to hear them explain why they vouched for him, and take some responsibility for what we are stuck with now. Aren't they the supposed kings of accountability? 

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

29 minutes ago, dougieL said:

It sickens me to think of the possibility that the Sedins vouched hard for OEL, against conventional wisdom, partly because OEL is Swedish and a good friend of theirs. After all, he was widely regarded as one of the worst contracts in the league, and I doubt they couldn't see that.

Benning and Wesibrod have lost their jobs, but the Sedins are still with the organization. I'd like to hear them explain why they vouched for him, and take some responsibility for what we are stuck with now. Aren't they the supposed kings of accountability? 

It is cause the OEL they know and played with is a completely different player than he is now. 

The OEL now pretty much hates the game. 

10 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

It is cause the OEL they know and played with is a completely different player than he is now. 

The OEL now pretty much hates the game. 

But they acknowledged that OEL was coming off poor seasons. Daniel even said OEL "took full responsibility" for his poor play when pumping his tires.

• RoughGame 1

22 minutes ago, dougieL said:

It sickens me to see how many people buy into +/- so heavily.

So by this standard you all have...

ROR is the worst player in the league because he is -28

You fans wanted Krug -20, Edmundson -17, Klingberg -24 LMFAO, or hey how about Ekblad -19 LOL PLUG. Chiarot???? lol -15, Parayko -13, Seider -13, Letang -12 in 29gp.

Oh wait let me guess, thats okay their +/- is trash, because they have sh*t goaltending and are on struggling teams? RIGHT, totally okay and acceptable for star players on other teams to have that excuse, but not at all for OEL. 

Good god, EK65 among MANY OTHERS have been on the ice for MORE GOALS AGAINST than SOME F***ING STARTING GOALIES... BUT his offense MASKS his +/- 

Adam Larsson +21 but has been on for 60 goals against. OEL has been on for 57 goals against. OEL 9 goals against short handed, Larsson 28 goals against short handed. One is on a team that is doing well, the other is on a struggling, crap goaltending and brutal defensive system team, the other is not. Seems like one guy gets offensive support and the other doesnt but Y'all wanted Larsson iirc, lol he allows more goals against on the PK than Myers and OEL combined (24)

LOL I can only laugh at the stupidity here. There is no fixing fans who live and die on +/-

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

It sickens me to see how many people buy into +/- so heavily.

So by this standard you all have...

ROR is the worst player in the league because he is -28

You fans wanted Krug -20, Edmundson -17, Klingberg -24 LMFAO, or hey how about Ekblad -19 LOL PLUG. Chiarot???? lol -15, Parayko -13, Seider -13, Letang -12 in 29gp.

Oh wait let me guess, thats okay their +/- is trash, because they have sh*t goaltending and are on struggling teams? RIGHT, totally okay and acceptable for star players on other teams to have that excuse, but not at all for OEL. 

Good god, EK65 among MANY OTHERS have been on the ice for MORE GOALS AGAINST than SOME F***ING STARTING GOALIES... BUT his offense MASKS his +/- 

Adam Larsson +21 but has been on for 60 goals against. OEL has been on for 57 goals against. OEL 9 goals against short handed, Larsson 28 goals against short handed. One is on a team that is doing well, the other is on a struggling, crap goaltending and brutal defensive system team, the other is not. Seems like one guy gets offensive support and the other doesnt but Y'all wanted Larsson iirc, lol he allows more goals against on the PK than Myers and OEL combined (24)

LOL I can only laugh at the stupidity here. There is no fixing fans who live and die on +/-

Lol what are you going on about? The post you replied to didn't even say anything about +/-

Calm down.

• Haha 3
  • RoughGame 1

32 minutes ago, dougieL said:

But they acknowledged that OEL was coming off poor seasons. Daniel even said OEL "took full responsibility" for his poor play when pumping his tires.

Interesting, when did he say this?

20 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Lol what are you going on about? The post you replied to didn't even say anything about +/-

Calm down.

its in this thread that is all about OEL and its primarily about his +/- and the people going off the deep end is ridiculous he's sick to his stomach about OEL and I'm pointing out all these other players who are just as "bad" as OEL. This thread is so dumb. ROR who is a Selke winner and has had 12 consecutive years of getting Selke votes and top 5 the last 4 years including winning  the Selke. Why are we talking about +/- when one of the best shut down C's in the league has the worst +/- in the entire league? This thread is brain dead. ROR is MUCH better than his +/- indicate and OEL is also better than his +/- indicates. Our goal tending has been attrocious. The systems and dzone structure is horrendous.

Edited by AnthonyG

21 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He plays most of the minutes against the opponent's top line, with poor goaltending on a bad team, and he also now has to deal with Mike Yeo sabotaging the blueline.  Edler's -39 season is a comparable.  The entire blueline has fallen off of a cliff since Shaw was replaced with a locker room cancer; a lot of problems will solve themselves once Yeo is fired.

Add King to that list as well.

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

its in this threat that is all about OEL and its primarily about his +/- and the people going off the deep end is ridiculous he's sick to his stomach about OEL and I'm pointing out all these other players who are just as "bad" as OEL. This thread is so dumb. ROR who is a Selke winner and has had 12 consecutive years of getting Selke votes and top 5 the last 4 years including winning  the Selke. Why are we talking about +/- when one of the best shut down C's in the league has the worst +/- in the entire league? This thread is brain dead. ROR is MUCH better than his +/- indicate and OEL is also better than his +/- indicates. Our goal tending has been attrocious. The systems and dzone structure is horrendous.

I agree with you on +/- but if you look at more advanced stats, they are also not terribly flattering to OEL.  This thread gets a shrug from me.  Flawed logic but there's reasons to be concerned with OEL all the same.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

its in this thread that is all about OEL and its primarily about his +/- and the people going off the deep end is ridiculous he's sick to his stomach about OEL and I'm pointing out all these other players who are just as "bad" as OEL. This thread is so dumb. ROR who is a Selke winner and has had 12 consecutive years of getting Selke votes and top 5 the last 4 years including winning  the Selke. Why are we talking about +/- when one of the best shut down C's in the league has the worst +/- in the entire league? This thread is brain dead. ROR is MUCH better than his +/- indicate and OEL is also better than his +/- indicates. Our goal tending has been attrocious. The systems and dzone structure is horrendous.

Forget about plus/minus. I agree - not a great measuring stick. What about OELs play has given you any indication that he won't be an anchor for the next 4 years? Have you seen the way he dodges shots?

• RU SERIOUS changed the title to OEL has now sunk into the top 10 worst +/- players in the entire National Hockey League out of all 869 players.