The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OEL has now sunk into the top 10 worst +/- players in the entire National Hockey League out of all 869 players.

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Shot blocks can also be impacted by coaches/goalies requesting fewer attempts, to help the goalie have a better chance of seeing the puck, and lowering the amount of deflections.  Blocking a ton of shots also leads to more injuries.

Blocked shots also means the other team is controlling the puck in our zone. Let’s build a team that forces the other club to block our shots more than we have to block theirs. 

1 minute ago, combover said:

Dredger thinks he’ll be the coach in Feb. Bruce will be let go yeo interim Tockett  in the summer. 
that’s his prediction. 
not much value in any insider anymore. just their opinion more than leaked info. 

but I can see it. 

Dreger isn't an insider; his only real source was his brother in law, who is currently not employed in an NHL front office.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Shot blocks can also be impacted by coaches/goalies requesting fewer attempts, to help the goalie have a better chance of seeing the puck, and lowering the amount of deflections.  Blocking a ton of shots also leads to more injuries.

100%

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And I think was Delia? Who was victim of that just recently where Schenn tried to block a shot and screened the goalie and Schenn missed blocking it and it beat either Delia or Martin… cant remember

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

If Yeo is made the head coach in any capacity, I'm out until that dirtbag is fired.

If they decide to can Boudreau, they aren’t signing a new coach before the end of the season so Yeo seems a likely candidate as interim.

Of course it is a terrible decision as he will be playing to beef up a resume in wins and losses, not to develop kids.

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

If they decide to can Boudreau, they aren’t signing a new coach before the end of the season so Yeo seems a likely candidate as interim.

Of course it is a terrible decision as he will be playing to beef up a resume in wins and losses, not to develop kids.

Cull would be a better option.  The sensible thing would be to fire Yeo ASAP before he does more damage.  He was brought in to fix the systems, which are worse than ever.  What justification is there to allow this scumbag anywhere near the dressing room?  Giving Yeo the HC job is completely unacceptable.

12 hours ago, Baratheon said:

I agree with you on +/- but if you look at more advanced stats, they are also not terribly flattering to OEL.  This thread gets a shrug from me.  Flawed logic but there's reasons to be concerned with OEL all the same.

I let you and James B fight over wich advanced stats to look at since he said OEL is second best of our defence.

12 hours ago, dougieL said:

They were influential enough to convince Benning to include the additional second round pick that ARZ asked for in order to complete the trade. This was said by Benning himself in an interview with 650.

This just confirms how bad Benning himself was at scouting. 
He say other people sell their ideas to him instead of him being the guy with the scouting eye. 

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

This just confirms how bad Benning himself was at scouting. 
He say other people sell their ideas to him instead of him being the guy with the scouting eye. 

I don't dispute that he is responsible for this mess. But he did lose his job, and he did receive some pretty awful advice from two people who are still with the organization. They apparently don't need to answer for the awful advice they gave.

• There it is 1

19 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

1) I'm not sure if you are telling me to check xGA per 60 or just making a joke about it with what you start #3 off with?  Either way, if you look at xGA or xGF it will be skewed in favor of deployment. So xGA/60 and xGF/60 will only benefit where those players are deployed primarily. With that being said though, OEL and Myers have a higher xGF/60 than Hughes and Schenn and yes they have a higher xGA/60 than Hughes and Schenn as well. HOWEVER Myers and OEL take on the majority of dzone duties, so their xGA/60 SHOULD be higher. Why is their xGF/60 higher, with far less ozone time? like wtf? 

2) So as a dman, hits and blocked shots can be read a few different ways.

1) he's physical

and

2) willing to sacrifice the body

It can also be read as

1) He never has the puck and has to fight for it

2) out of position and having to block shots more frequently

3) Takes himself out of position by committing to hits

If you maintain good positioning, you take the shots away by not giving a shooting lane, players will move the puck to the other side or elsewhere.

Good stickwork is very effective because you can cause turnovers, you dont take yourself out of position by committing to a hit and leaving open ice behind you. Not only that, but you can stop passes, deflect shots and regain possession because you are in control of your stick, whereas if you are hitting, you arent in control of your stick, your bracing for impact.

Nicklas Lidstrom won multiple cups rarely throwing a hit and not blocking tons of shots. His entire career he never had to be physical and never had to block shots, because he was smart and well positioned. NO I AM NOT COMPARING THE TWO AND SAYING OEL IS LIDSTROM. I'm merely pointing out a style of play that IS effective.

3) If Hughes isnt producing, he's not effective in his own zone. OEL can defend better and IF he gets offensive opportunities, he CAN produce. He's more well rounded, but not better offensively. 

Thanks for the explanation, but tonight's healthy scratch tells you what Boudreau thinks of him :lol:

• Vintage 1

• RU SERIOUS changed the title to OEL now the worst +/- defenseman on the team / 31st worst player in the Entire NHL out of all 840 players.
21 hours ago, dougieL said:

I don't dispute that he is responsible for this mess. But he did lose his job, and he did receive some pretty awful advice from two people who are still with the organization. They apparently don't need to answer for the awful advice they gave.

Well, the boss should know that the Sedins are biased towards OEL. 
It’s in the CV of a GM.

The Sedins has no fault in that process since they offer their opinion only. 
Do you know the difference between being a GM and someone giving their opinion? 

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Well, the boss should know that the Sedins are biased towards OEL. 
It’s in the CV of a GM.

The Sedins has no fault in that process since they offer their opinion only. 
Do you know the difference between being a GM and someone giving their opinion? 

This tweet from 2 years ago, showed the twins bias and they obviously have a voice in the organization. Listening to the interview gives me the impression that Daniel is vouching for OEL.  He recently got scratch in the Tampa game for "unknown" reasons and it was also happening in Arizona before he got traded.  Just like LE his time in Arizona soured and the benching did not help.  I wonder, after his benching how it will turn out or perhaps he had an illness ???  Anyways, not a good look and well earned.

GM's are also human and some are more open to suggestions, whilst, others are not.  After 8yrs, of watching JB I can safely assume he is the former and the twins relationship with the team, gives their opinions a lot more weight than others..

Edited by ShawnAntoski