The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OEL has now sunk into the top 10 worst +/- players in the entire National Hockey League out of all 869 players.

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

39 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How about instead of whining about how bad he is. You try an work out a practical solution to him?

Oh wait he has a no movement clause. So you can't even send him to Abby.

It's too late to reverse the trade.

I'm open to any solutions you might have?

(P.S. we're pretty much stuck with him. )

Hang onto him for 2 more years while we're still 'building', then buy him out for a 4 year penalty when he has 2 years left on his deal.

It's not a matter of if he will be bought out it's a matter of when...

There's just no point to buying him out now. We get huge cap savings next season but we're still going to be in the bottom half of the league. Plus we're trying to rid ourselves of $ and contracts. 

He's still serviceable right now. I firmly believe he needs new blood beside him. Hoping we can move Myers after his bonus this summer. OEL has been handcuffed beside Myers his entire stint in Vancouver. Tough teammate to play with. I'm not confident OEL will ever find his game to the level it was in Arizona, but even if he can find his game to resemble last year - it's fine. 

Here's what a buyout looks like when OEL has 2 years left on his deal:

Screenshot_20230205-105249.png.8a2986c0c2b5404df97733b6032c5a72.png

We will likely have ELC's and cheaper contracts on the roster throughout this first two buyout years so I don't think it's unreasonable. The last two years at $1.54M are chump change.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

You do know that Edler led the league with a -35 or so one year right?  

Edler had (minus) 39, 20, 18

Even the Selke type player Kesler had (minus) 15,18

Whenever a goal is scored, everyone on the line gets a minus 1.  OEL has a lot of TOI, so plays in

various situations and lines up with a number of players.  What I find interesting, is that his regular

defensive partner only has a -4.  Is Myers an incredibly gifted defensive dmam? Or, perhaps some of

OELs minus numbers are due to other player(s) on the ice making mistake(s) that cause a goal(s).

Imo, awarding an entire line a (-) when a goal is scored, makes it an inaccurate and unfair stat.

Edited by higgyfan
  • Cheers 3

On 2/5/2023 at 9:54 AM, IBatch said:

You do know that Edler led the league with a -35 or so one year right?  

That's nothing, Remember McIlhargey back in the late 70's/early 80's (if i remember correctly).  I think he hit close to minus -50 one season and I believe holds the record as the Canucks worst defenseman ever.  I'll always remember that because it was one of the worse years ever for a defenseman.  That's what you call bad!   But Edler was almost as bad when we finally burned through his painfully long contract and finally got him moving out of town  - that is a certainty!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
typo
  • Vintage 1

On 1/10/2023 at 7:57 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

While we all know how bad our team defense is after JR/PA were incapable of doing anything to fix it this past year and the Canucks now being the 2nd most scored against team in the entire National Hockey league.  It has now reached new lows with OEL sinking to being tied for the 18th worst +/- player spot in the league, out of all 855 players with a staggering Minus -19 and we are just at the mid point of the season!  

it shows how fast OEL has degraded in only one year with the team as he slowly ages thru the beginning of his contract into his mid 30's that expires later near the end of the decade in 2027.

Will OEL's rapid decline put him on the same trajectory as Myers and make him another early buy-out or trade candidate, or will JR/PA just turn a blind eye to his decline like they have with many others like Miller and Boeser and just allow his contract to run out?   

I am not surprised by this stat...OEL plays a lot and the Canucks are a BAD team...Thanks Benning for this boat anchor! Could've had multiple picks and Horvat instead if we had some patient!!!

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Edler had (minus) 39, 20, 18

Even the Selke type player Kesler had (minus) 15,18

Whenever a goal is scored, everyone on the line gets a minus 1.  OEL has a lot of TOI, so plays in

various situations and lines up with a number of players.  What I find interesting, is that his regular

defensive partner only has a -4.  Is Myers an incredibly gifted defensive dmam? Or, perhaps some of

OELs minus numbers are due to other player(s) on the ice making mistake(s) that cause a goal(s).

Imo, awarding an entire line a (-) when a goal is scored, makes it an inaccurate and unfair stat.

I agree, plus minus on its own is a silly stat.   But it does have some relevance once you factor in quality of competition factored in and then compare other lines on the same team.   EPs for example ... incredibly strong line considering the state of the team.   Last year Garland and Myers.    OEL ... yikes.   Well our D in general aside from QHs and Schenn yikes although Bears been ok.  

GAA average is more of a team stat than a goalies.   Plus minus ... well Linden was also a minus magnet at times but nobody would question his commitment to 200 feet of ice.   And took on the toughest assignments - and for Selke votes himself (deservedly so) as his assignments changed. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

• RU SERIOUS changed the title to OEL now the worst +/- defenseman on the team / 18th worst player in the Entire NHL out of all 861 players.
1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Ouch

Long long ouch

True, but as the cap goes up that lasting cap cost is minimized. Best for us to move on from the worst trade on our club’s history. Buyout both OEL and Garland. 

Just now, Alflives said:

True, but as the cap goes up that lasting cap cost is minimized. Best for us to move on from the worst trade on our club’s history. Buyout both OEL and Garland. 

Lend his equipment to Hossa 

:bigblush:

• Like 1

In a go no where year, why are we spoon feeding Huggy minutes to pad his stats? Let's get OEL some quality minutes to show his wares. We're going nowhere. He's disinterested, he knows his strengths are on the pp. 

Let him shine some. Sometimes stars gotta make sacrifices for the betterment of the team. 

42 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

In a go no where year, why are we spoon feeding Huggy minutes to pad his stats? Let's get OEL some quality minutes to show his wares. We're going nowhere. He's disinterested, he knows his strengths are on the pp. 

Let him shine some. Sometimes stars gotta make sacrifices for the betterment of the team. 

Yeah, change out most of the regulars on PP 1 and let the big money guys play up their value:
                   Boeser
Garland - Beauvillier - Miller
                     OEL

• Cheers 1

On 1/10/2023 at 7:57 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

While we all know how bad our team defense is after JR/PA were incapable of doing anything to fix it this past year and the Canucks now being the 2nd most scored against team in the entire National Hockey league.  It has now reached new lows with OEL sinking to being tied for the 18th worst +/- player spot in the league, out of all 861 skaters with a staggering Minus -20 and we are just at the mid point of the season!  

it shows how fast OEL has degraded in only one year with the team as he slowly ages thru the beginning of his contract into his mid 30's that expires later near the end of the decade in 2027.

Will OEL's rapid decline put him on the same trajectory as Myers and make him another early buy-out or trade candidate, or will JR/PA just turn a blind eye to his decline like they have with many others like Miller and Boeser and just allow his contract to run out?   

I finally stopped laughing, everyone on the whole f'n team has been that way, and being put out against top lines and your goalies pretty much suck, the +/- for anyone would drop like a rock.

Anyone thinking the whole team would be doing better than we are now without a healthy Demko on his game, out of the line-up for as long as he has been, is sadly mistaken. 

Add to that, the top paid D-men in the league have top forwards who play D well is ANYTHING but us. 

Our D from our forward core is next to useless and how the F can you compare that exactly? 

Can RT turn it around? Maybe, he's at least addressing it, calling out the entire team for fitness, battle, etc that is next to impossible to consistently win games in any league if your not good at it and I've been bitching about it for as long as I can remember. 

Are we going to make trades for players who are actually really good at D the forward position? I certainly hope or it's a LOT more of the same ole.. blaming one player? Omg that started me laughing hard, typical... 

Why? Because that's how we roll in Vancouver, scapegoat capital of the NHL 

News Flash.. winning and losing is a team effort or not either way, how easily we seem to forget that.

• Cheers 1

• RU SERIOUS changed the title to OEL now the worst +/- defenseman on the team / 9th worst player in the Entire NHL out of all 862 players.

WOW!  OEL worsted his worst game ever, with a terrible Minus -3 in the Detroit game tonight putting just shy of the Top 10 worst +/- players in the entire National Hockey league at 13th place - with his whopping Minus -23 and now closer than ever to threatning top spot if he screws up just 5 more times that would guarantee him top spot as worst +/- player ever this season.    I think he can do it.    GO OEL GO!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Upvote 1

• RU SERIOUS changed the title to OEL now 9th worst +/- player in the entire National Hockey League out of all 862 players.
On 2/5/2023 at 1:01 PM, Neutral said:

I am not surprised by this stat...OEL plays a lot and the Canucks are a BAD team...Thanks Benning for this boat anchor! Could've had multiple picks and Horvat instead if we had some patient!!!

Don't forget the teams fearless leader: Francesco 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

WOW!  OEL worsted his worst game ever, with a whopping Minus -4 in the Detroit game tonight putting him in the Top 10 worst +/- players in the entire National Hockey league at 9th place - with his whopping Minus -24 and now closer than ever to threatning top spot if he screws up just 4 more times that would guarantee him top spot as worst +/- player ever this season.    I think he can do it.    GO OEL GO!

The OEL and Garland acquisition is aging like milk

• RoughGame 1

The plus-minus category is never a good one and IMO tells you more about how much offence the unit produce on the ice. OEL is rarely out there with Petey or in more of an offensive role. Meanwhile, Hughes leads the team with +11 (pretty amazing on this dead team), Petey is only +3, Schenn +5 and the rest of our team is dreadful. It's more useful comparing players within the same team rather than across the league.

Looking at OEL's advanced stats (like Corsi/Fen etc.) they're not as glaringly bad as his +/-

Despite how bad Myers looks on the ice, OEL's stats are a fair bit worse than even his

Right now that buyout's 4M penalty isn't looking too bad. We could sign a UFA defenceman for 5M this season (say Graves/Gavrikov) and that 6-9M we spend on the UFA + OEL's buyout would be worth it, over just paying OEL 7M for the next few year. I'd take that hit right now.

• Cheers 1

• RU SERIOUS changed the title to OEL now 11th worst +/- player in the entire National Hockey League out of all 864 players.
  • RU SERIOUS changed the title to OEL has now sunk into the top 10 worst +/- players in the entire National Hockey League out of all 869 players.