The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Management "NO-SHOW's" at STH/Memebers only meeting.

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

Very poor decision. I don't care at all if they skip out on media but I feel you should at least acknowledge the season ticket holders. Show up and answer some questions out of respect at least, the answers don't even have to be good imo. Very important to just show up. 

I'm just not for this whole "they need to be held accountable" type of perspective. It doesn't help them improve the team by getting berated or being even more preassured to stressed out because of something. I want them as focused as possible in order for them to execute their job as well as they possibly can. Not in the case of a STH event.

Poor poor look. 

58 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

How is it sexist?     
Alvin and the chipmunks….

As you see, there are chipmunk girls.  
The AGMs are women.

It must suck moping through life seeking out anything and everything to be offended about all the time. 

38216388-BF97-4829-B2A5-EA5CCEBBDF16.jpeg

Fixed the last sentence for you, D.B.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Sakic is pretty happy in Denver. Basically you'd need a massive inducement to get him to leave. Who is "up and coming" as a GM or AGM? I'm not disagreeing with you. 

It's Sakic has had success already. And he clearly learned fast. 

Would have to look around the league and see who was realistically available. I think we need further overhauls, I wouldn't mind bringing back Burrows as an assistant coach level, offer him a step up from his position in Montreal. You need someone like a younger Brian Burke type of guy who will literally bleed to make the team better. For the most part, what I've observed over the years is, fringe players make better managers. There's the exception to that rule (Sakic), but for the most part, guys who really had to work to be relevant in the NHL are more creative and better recognize all the components needed to win. 

8 minutes ago, Gurn said:

If you are not going to have upper management at the meeting- don't hold the meeting.

Would be no issue if there was no meeting.

Now it is just another WTF? moment on an ever growing list.

True. This whole organization is floundering. I wouldn't blame every single player on the team for asking for a trade out of this mess. It's like watching a pileup on a highway from the comfort of your living room.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Could it be they were busy actually trying to do their real jobs, and improve the team in an extremely difficult flat cap environment across the league instead of catering to a bunch of whiny bitching fans? 

I don't know if the former is true, but the latter has some merit.

To be fair, those "whiny bitching fans" are the reason they have jobs in the first place. Some of those STH have been here for decades.  I think it's fair that they be held accountable to many of the fans who have shelled out thousands of dollars.  I could understand if it was a bad year after many good years, but its been a long time since we have iced a team with any consistency. I don't post often and I have been a member of the board for quite some time, and even I am starting to get absolutely frustrated to the point where I find myself wanting to vent on the forums more and more (only cause my wife doesn't care for hockey).

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Sanj said:

To be fair, those "whiny bitching fans" are the reason they have jobs in the first place. Some of those STH have been here for decades.  I think it's fair that they be held accountable to many of the fans who have shelled out thousands of dollars.  I could understand if it was a bad year after many good years, but its been a long time since we have iced a team with any consistency. I don't post often and I have been a member of the board for quite some time, and even I am starting to get absolutely frustrated to the point where I find myself wanting to vent on the forums more and more (only cause my wife doesn't care for hockey).

Well said, Sanj. Most fans wouldn't be construed as whiny, bitching fans if the team showed some semblance of a direction in the last 12 years. The Canucks have been a rudderless entity, wallowing in mediocrity.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Well, they haven’t done a damn thing, so that can’t be it.   Lol.  

JR’s job is exactly that.   To represent the team and answer to the ‘whiny bitching’ fans.  
If he did his f’n job right and set out a plan and followed it, then you could be correct.  
But the old clown has done the exact opposite what he said to begin with, and then taken a year and a half long nap.  

At least with Benning, he would try shit. 
He had no plan either, but you could tell he wanted to do a good job.  

JR doesn’t give a shit about the Canucks 

42 minutes ago, Sanj said:

I always imagine the positive effects of what would happen if the players and team received (at least some level of) unconditional support from across the entire fan base. Kind of like what has shown to be very effective in addiction or mental health situations. Alas, our toxic fan base and media will never let that happen, as many seem to feel the need to break others down to build themselves up.

Edited by Drive-By Body Pierce

1 hour ago, VforVasili said:

Do you genuinely not understand why using the diminutive “girls” to describe some of the most talented women in hockey who have broken barriers to get where they are, or you just feigning ignorance to get a “zinger” through at liberal values. 

You don’t refer to women as “girls”. The context makes it much worse. 

I think you might be reaching here, I dont think it is much different than referring to the boys in the dressing room even though they are clearly men. Also I believe he was referencing an animated show about chipmunks who are children, not an attack on liberals.     

• Haha 1

Who's got the exact email/info on the meeting?  How was it worded?  Meet JR and PA?  

I've been to these in the past, when Nonis was a GM, and later when Trevor was prez. But if I recall correctly, these were held in the off season.   

Edited by Jaimito
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

How is it sexist?     
Alvin and the chipmunks….

As you see, there are chipmunk girls.  
The AGMs are women.

It must suck moping through life thinking everyone is so damn awful and offensive all the time. 

38216388-BF97-4829-B2A5-EA5CCEBBDF16.jpeg

People try and find anything to be offended by nowadays. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

Yeah look I was all for giving management the benefit of the doubt and time. I was never a Gillis, Nonis or JB fan but like to assess their moves over the course of time and at the time. There's good moves they've all done and obviously catastrophic moves for the team, and you have to take the ownership blanket of wanting to stay competitive with each move.

This new management regime of JR and Allvin came in with zero/poor track record - an older JR who has good experience but is stepping back from day to day duties, alongside a rookie GM. Both have made bad trades/drafts, but also some good ones in the past.

When they came here they were immediately dealt with a couple of dilemmas. The big ones being - fix the cap hell, get us help on defence, sort out the Miller-Bo-Boeser contracts and obviously make a push for the playoffs. Restocking picks or prospects was never pushed on them.

So far they haven't fixed the D at all, signed Brock, Miller and Mikheyev to big cap deals and haven't sorted out Bo.

I wasn't a fan of resigning Miller and so far that deals looked bad. I liked the smaller deals for Bear and Dermott but the Dickinson/Stillman one was dreadful.

So far, I'd day more bad than good but they have time to redeem themselves if they can get us some help on defence by trading some forwards.

This public-face stuff doesn't go down well but I don't care much for it, I do care that they have neglected our defence time after time, focus on forwards, we score 5 goals a night, get shelled for 7GAA, and they make Bruce and our poor players stand up nightly in front of reporters who have to try and explain why they blew another 3 goal lead when they have no help from management.

• Cheers 4

Was there actually a meeting scheduled or were Donnie & Dhali just speculating ?  Heard on this board from one STH that he/she didn't receive any notification of such a meeting, how about hearing from other STH.  Was there a meeting and were they there ?  Would like to know real facts before forming an opinion.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not at all. Another fall guy set up by Frankie Two Face. 

I mean, that makes him sound like a mobster and at least there's a mystique to mobsters

Francesco is just another slumlord billionaire with his fingers in blueberries, real estate and the like 

• Vintage 1