The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Management "NO-SHOW's" at STH/Memebers only meeting.

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

And by the same token others can call you on their opinions or must we all kow tow to your opinion, sounds like canacel culture to me

Damn- looks like you are trying to cancel, cancel culture.

But don't worry I'm going to attempt to  cancel, your attempt at canceling, cancel culture.

But also don't worry, as I'm sure some one will cancel my attempt to cancel, your canceling.

They, in turn, will be cancelled-

welcome to the 2020's.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Part of our problem is ''this mess!'' The pressure, or noise of our market. The gall to demand a championship in a 3 year stretch.

Yup, we are a middling team. There are good parts on this team, cough Pettersson. One problem is the lack of patience from, cough, fans.

People say they want a rebuild.  But hang out in a Post Game Thread after a loss. Too ''messy!'' The volume of manic depression is deafening.

Historically, teams like the Canucks could be fixed.  Admittedly, the trade market has been very stunted these last few years. Re the dead cap growth? But a Jim Rutherford in Carolina found pieces to make a cup winner at least once amongst historically worse performance.  Made Sid competitive every year. Vancouver, and other Canadian markets, don't have that said patience. Rebuild?

We are scared sh!tless if a Miller walks, or gets traded.  Then cry 6 months later when he was re-signed. People say it is the owner meddling.  It is the fans. Who should just enjoy the team, Hughes, PETEY!  It would make the atmosphere a lot easier if the team had honest support.

Instead we riot after any loss.

Couldn't be a more honest observation on CDC, thank you for actually saying it.

The absolute crap we have to hear daily about the owner " meddling " or the owner should sell the team, like yeah don't take for granted that there is actually a team here in this city, not a line up of potential local owners willing to spend to the limit year in and out and pay ex coaches etc for management mistakes.

And 110% on Miller @Canuck Surfer, which makes the daily ripping almost comical. Like nobody has the ability to enjoy and appreciate watching Petey and Hughes in Canucks colors but have to rip every aspect of the team, management, and ownership. The team sucks right now absolutely but the mentality of unless you are contending you are under achieving and don't deserve fan support is garbage. Like the guy on the post game show said last night, how absolutely pathetic are we right now hoping for losses, hoping to tank. Such an ass backwards way to support your team. Canucks fans used to be with the team good and bad, I don't get this entitlement and lack of patience or support.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, VforVasili said:

Do you genuinely not understand why using the diminutive “girls” to describe some of the most talented women in hockey who have broken barriers to get where they are, or you just feigning ignorance to get a “zinger” through at liberal values. 

You don’t refer to women as “girls”. The context makes it much worse. 

First of all, it’s not fair for you to lump all liberals into your weak emotions. 
Being a crybaby doesn’t have to represent ‘liberal values’, not matter how much some of you whine, so no, I’m not taking a stab at liberals.  

Im taking a stab at someone who thinks calling a female a girl is offensive. 
I call my wife and daughter ‘my girls’ all the time.   My wife doesn’t get offended by it, and she is a woman.   

Also, I’m guessing you are a man, or a boy….    Stop with the virtue signalling. 

• Cheers 4

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Didn’t Canucks management stop doing those STH meetings after Linden left? Seems to me that the last “town hall” was several years back and they haven’t really had one since (until now). 

I seem to remember Benning getting booed by a significant portion of the crowd one year and him generally getting some pretty rough treatment (albeit deserved) from the fans and then the next year the event was cancelled. Then Covid happened, of course, so they couldn’t hold any events for a while. But I think this is the first year they’ve done it again since maybe 2018.

I could be wrong. Just going off memory here and I never paid too much attention to those STH “town hall meetings” anyway.

4 hours ago, DSVII said:

This has been a thing since Linden and Benning cancelled the STH Q&As after 2014. A shame. And poor Smyl. 

Looks like you guys were off by just a couple of years, this was the last thread I could find. I would have guessed 2014 as well but looking back it makes sense that it took people a couple of years to catch on that we were being led to the trough and fed a bunch of absolute BS. I believe the direction for this organization was set before either Benning or even Linden even stepped into their roles. Gillis was already set on doing a rebuild when he traded Schneider and drafted Horvat with that pick. He then attempted to trade Kesler to Anaheim for futures at the trade deadline before the owner stepped in and nixed that trade. Bob Murray when he eventually traded for Kesler admitted that his offer was much better at the deadline. Kesler became public enemy number 1 when his trade demand leaked, wouldn't be surprised if his trade list shrunk right around that time as well. Benning of course then went out and did exactly what the owner wanted which was to find pieces that would improve the team ie. Sbisa and Bonino. The latter was a key asset for the Ducks at the time, they were loathe to part with him, he was cheap, played center and was the ideal 3rd line center for a contender. 

I believe the town halls were cancelled because the President and GM had to answer for all the inconsistent messaging that they provided. They had to step in and be the shield for all the arrows and slings that should have been directed towards our owner. IIRC one of the STH gave their ticket away to one of the popular twitter Canucks fan accounts (might have been Taj) and that's when they had to cancel the event. There don't seem to be any videos of the event but I wouldn't be surprised if there more than a few people who attended who were just showing up to be instigators (ie. Rebel media types). Its imperative that we ask questions of those who are in positions of power, but there are a few clowns that ruin it all for the rest of us. Its like the fools who paid for a banner that said 'Fire Jim Benning', when the banner really should have said 'Sell the team Aquilini'. 

Edited by Toews
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

8 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

First of all, it’s not fair for you to lump all liberals into your weak emotions. 
Being a crybaby doesn’t have to represent ‘liberal values’, not matter how much some of you whine, so no, I’m not taking a stab at liberals.  

Im taking a stab at someone who thinks calling a female a girl is offensive. 
I call my wife and daughter ‘my girls’ all the time.   My wife doesn’t get offended by it, and she is a woman.   

Also, I’m guessing you are a man, or a boy….    Stop with the virtue signalling. 

what a monster lol

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So what about our owner’s accountability for his insisted upon direction?  

It's getting tiresome Alf. Yes Frank is a hands on owner you would be too as would I. We could do a lot worse in terms of ownership. It's his money it's his team. At least we have an owner who is willing to put his money down and wants to win. JR and Alvin took this job they drafted a smurf winger, signed Miller, signed Brock they signed Mik and then pulled their pockets inside out looking shocked when it came to our Captain and the D. That's on them. 

JB left our team in good shape yes the OEL deal wasn't great but it was manageable.

If JR had let Brock walk and Traded Miller we would be in good shape right now with money to spend.

Edited by hammertime

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Don’t the guys playing often say to “let’s go boys” when referring to their teammates?  I’ve heard our women’s teams say similar when they say “let’s go girls”.  These are men and women referring to themselves as boys and girls.  But they are players.  I’m thinking the people in management jobs, even though it’s hockey, don’t refer to themselves as boys and girls, but rather as men and women.  

The one phrase that is associated with the NHL and hockey in general is 'old boys club', which is meant to be disparaging although there is no intent for sexism in that phrase.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Damn- looks like you are trying to cancel, cancel culture.

But don't worry I'm going to attempt to  cancel, your attempt at canceling, cancel culture.

But also don't worry, as I'm sure some one will cancel my attempt to cancel, your canceling.

They, in turn, will be cancelled-

welcome to the 2020's.

Wow It's no wonder the world is screwed up, 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This management group has been hyped up so much, but at the end of the day they haven't really lived up to their billing.  JR may not even be around after next year when his contract is up.  If this mess isn't fixed up by end of next year I can see Aquilini blowing it all up again with new management.  Bring in Barry Trotz to be the coach and an AGM.  Give him the keys.  The on ice product is not worth watching these days.  Gotta get a new defensive structure put in that gives us a chance to win every game versus the run and gun and try to outscore the opposition.

Totally agree, Rutherford hasn't shown much of anything so far. If the team starts next season with a similar record it will definitely be time for a management makeover.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

"Well believe it or not, neither Rutherford, Alvin or any of the Chipmunk Girls"

Well said and lol.  Also, where is Francesco cause it should be him facing the STH's.  Says a lot about Francesco 

He's too busy dealing with lawsuits.

33 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Couldn't be a more honest observation on CDC, thank you for actually saying it.

The absolute crap we have to hear daily about the owner " meddling " or the owner should sell the team, like yeah don't take for granted that there is actually a team here in this city, not a line up of potential local owners willing to spend to the limit year in and out and pay ex coaches etc for management mistakes.

And 110% on Miller @Canuck Surfer, which makes the daily ripping almost comical. Like nobody has the ability to enjoy and appreciate watching Petey and Hughes in Canucks colors but have to rip every aspect of the team, management, and ownership. The team sucks right now absolutely but the mentality of unless you are contending you are under achieving and don't deserve fan support is garbage. Like the guy on the post game show said last night, how absolutely pathetic are we right now hoping for losses, hoping to tank. Such an ass backwards way to support your team. Canucks fans used to be with the team good and bad, I don't get this entitlement and lack of patience or support.

When? Team has always had supporters who are cheerleaders and supporters who want to be angry about everything. At least since the 90s and last time I checked that was unfortunately a long ass time ago.

7 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Also after doing some research, the girl chipmunks are actually called "chippettes".

So I do believe if the next person refers to the group as Allvin and the Chippettes then I think it is both politically correct but also culturally accurate. So win win!

I think it's offensive to former Chippendales dancers, sorry

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Apparently this past weekend (According to what was stated on the Donnie & Dhali show) the annual STH's/Members only meeting was held at Rogers, where the STH's get to meet and ask questions of the Canucks management.   Well believe it or not, neither Rutherford, Alvin or any of the Chipmunk Girls bothered showing up and dis-appeared out of sight leaving Stan Smyl on the Hot-Seat to answer angry fans questions.     In the over 20+ years I was a STH, I never saw such a thing happen - ever - and is a slap in the face of the remaining STH's and to many displays cowardice and disrespect towards the paying customers and leaves many wondering why and what they are truly hiding from by staying out of the public eye.   

Umm what ? I'm a 7 year full season ticket holder and wasn't told about any event?!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Part of our problem is ''this mess!'' The pressure, or noise of our market. The gall to demand a championship in a 3 year stretch.

Yup, we are a middling team. There are good parts on this team, cough Pettersson. One problem is the lack of patience from, cough, fans.

People say they want a rebuild.  But hang out in a Post Game Thread after a loss. Too ''messy!'' The volume of manic depression is deafening.

Historically, teams like the Canucks could be fixed.  Admittedly, the trade market has been very stunted these last few years. Re the dead cap growth? But a Jim Rutherford in Carolina found pieces to make a cup winner at least once amongst historically worse performance.  Made Sid competitive every year. Vancouver, and other Canadian markets, don't have that said patience. Rebuild?

We are scared sh!tless if a Miller walks, or gets traded.  Then cry 6 months later when he was re-signed. People say it is the owner meddling.  It is the fans. Who should just enjoy the team, Hughes, PETEY!  It would make the atmosphere a lot easier if the team had honest support.

Instead we riot after any loss.

People whine ad neauseum about a "rebuild".......guess what?  They're already in the middle of a rebuild and they're at a spot all rebuilding teams get to........a good young core of players that need to be supported as the core.  Now people want to blow it up and start again, only to wait another 7 years to get to this exact same spot?

There's the makings of a good team in there, but the management team and coaching staff don't seem to see it, or don't care.  All the self flagellation about ownership, but if you owned a team, spent 7 years watching someone rebuild it, would you want to flush it all down the toilet and start again?  I don't but that FA is some evil puppeteer pulling the strings from above.......if anything he's guilty for caving into fans and firing a GM who did actually have a plan and likely would have had this team past this spot already.

Don't have the stomach for a rebuild?  Give me a break, the vocal minority don't have the stomach to see this to fruition

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Getting the feeling that Rutherford and Allvin are in "don't care" mode. I believe that the owner is blocking transactions and JR/PA are limited in what they can do. Really bothers  me that they sent Smyl to the wolves, like cowards. Are they hiding in some bunker? Or are they still doing some socializing in Pittsburgh?

I'm not even excited for Canucks games anymore. Used to be I would be pumped all day waiting for the game to start. Now, I just get annoyed that they're playing another game and they still haven't done anything to fix the team. I feel bad for Bruce having to try and answer for this team's mess. Everyone seems to know the players aren't good enough or the right mix, except for JR/PA. 

9 hours ago, SerenityNow said:

What?  I'm an STH and didn't even know there was such a meeting.  Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Yeah I don't think this event was a real event, I didn't hear anything about it.

9 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hopefully some, if not the majority, of season ticket holders choose not to renew. This shoddy organization is rife with idiocy and should have as little support as possible until there's a definite direction determined by management (highly doubtful with the clowns in charge). 

The players (for the most part) have checked out, so the fans should as well. I have a feeling that the next homestand will be really ugly.

Honestly, I make too much money off it for my business and it's a full write off. I'd like to make a stand but can't...

4 hours ago, singing chef said:

Was there actually a meeting scheduled or were Donnie & Dhali just speculating ?  Heard on this board from one STH that he/she didn't receive any notification of such a meeting, how about hearing from other STH.  Was there a meeting and were they there ?  Would like to know real facts before forming an opinion.

I'm going to say there was no meeting, I've talked to some other people who are full STH and nobody has heard a thing.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, hammertime said:

It's getting tiresome Alf. Yes Frank is a hands on owner you would be too as would I. We could do a lot worse in terms of ownership. It's his money it's his team. At least we have an owner who is willing to put his money down and wants to win. JR and Alvin took this job they drafted a smurf winger, signed Miller, signed Brock they signed Mik and then pulled their pockets inside out looking shocked when it came to our Captain and the D. That's on them. 

Personally I am not interested in the amount spent on the team and more about how much is the profit/loss. Is the owner spending money out of his pocket to sustain this team?  I always have a good chuckle when the WNBA players complain about how much share of revenue they should receive, when the league on average has lost money every year since its inception. When you look at the biggest sports organizations around the world, I don't see Manchester United fans crediting the Glazer family for the amount they spend on the team, not when they are raking in the profits every year. Vancouver is one of the biggest markets in the NHL, the team has already hit 1 billion in valuation. Yet the hires are either first time GMs, first time President or more recently the guys who are retired and put out to pasture by their former teams. Wouldn't be surprised if the women hired are also some of the lowest paid AGMs in the league, unfortunately those numbers aren't available on capfriendly.

Just look at the Lightning, the owner bought the team then took a massive loss buying out the Lecavalier contract. The Lightning sucked at the time, there was no guarantee of any success. The Canucks on the other chose to retain money on Luongo and then were hit with a recapture penalty. The reason why teams refused to trade those types of contracts was exactly the risk that eventually came to fruition with the Canucks. Yet the fans place the blame for that penalty on the league and Bettman, when the Canucks chose to trade Luongo despite receiving two compliance buyouts just like every team in the NHL. 

Edited by Toews

8 hours ago, Provost said:

It is super crappy and I posted it in the "It's the Owner: Stan Smyl Edition" thread.

When they made Smyl the interim GM, they clearly gave him the impression that he would have the job for a while as the press conference he was talking about his vision for the identity of team and chatting with other GMs.... all longer term stuff.  The way he was speaking (with the owner sitting right beside him) made it clear he had no idea that his replacement had already been offered the job and hired.  It was announced just a couple days later that JR was hired as President AND also taking over the GM job.

Then at this meeting, they all ran for the hills rather than face fans to explain their failures to execute their plans.  Just cancel it or have the owner come if the brass is too busy.  Leaving Smyl to answer questions for things he has no control of is just SHADY to the extreme.

Whenever the multitude of people who have left the organization over the last few years speak... they always make it clear there are some really great people in the organization and point to Smyl and Linden as examples.  They have always very clearly omitted the owners, Benning, Weisbrod, and JR in their praises.  It isn't just us fans imagining what is going on behind those doors, what he hear from the inside confirms a lot of it.

Shady is right !

• There it is 1