The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report - LeBrun] Canucks will try to re-sign Andrei Kuzmenko as trade interest grows

Ted Lasso

46 minutes ago, Provost said:

It doesn’t make even the slightest sense to buy him out.  You can bury him in the minors for more cap savings than buying him out and you don’t get the penalty the year after.  You also don’t save real much in real dollars as the bonus is paid regardless.

The answer for Myers if you just don’t want him on the roster is to trade him after the bonus is paid to a team that doesn’t care about the cap hit as they aren’t at the ceiling.  $1 million in real dollars is a good deal for Myers, who cares if he is playing on your 3rd pairing.  If his 10 team NTC gets in the way just waive him.

or just let him play and trade him at the tdl, which is the easiest, most sensible move.

32 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I disagree. Even 2 years diminishes his value. Every measurable statistic in this guy predicts he'll regress in points going forward. I fully expect him to keep this pace up this year, I don't think he can continue to do it going forward.

The ONLY position of strength (if you want to call it that) the Canucks have is at wing. We lack center depth, we lack defense, we have minimal prospect (and the NHL project able ones we do have are wingers), we lack cap space, and we lack the overall talent to be a good team. What does Kuzmenko provide this team that fixes any of these issues?

We have him in the team this year, which is 100% going to be his most valuable season in comparison to his cap hit, and what could end up being his best season overall. The team still stinks, we're bottom of the league with him, and we would be bottom of the league without him. I don't see how having him signed to a bigger contract does this team any good in the 2 year you're talking about.

Wingers are a proven diminished asset in the NHL right now. Even if Kuzmenko keeps up this pace for 2 more years I see no world where he would have a higher trade value then what he has right now at such a low cap hit. 

What is best case scenario with signing Kuzmenko short term. He absolutely dominates while we are re-tooling and then is looking for his long term big money deal at 29 when we are trying to compete. That's sounds a little to familiar to me.

Trading him, in my eyes, is the only way to maximize his value. I fully expect him to be resigned, and I think it would be a massive mistake. 

I hear ya...but we still need scoring forwards and with Horvat already appearing on the way out and Boeser rumoured to be as well (and who knows with Miller or Garland), keeping a productive Kuz, who fits well with Petey (and as I noted may help convince him to extend this summer) is hardly the end of the world. And as I said, we can still move him in 2 years. And sure his shooting % likely drops, but with (hopefully) a better team around him in the next couple years, I think he can maintain solid (if slightly lower) production.

Agree on the winger depth, I'd just rather we move Horvat plus one or two of Boeser, Garland and Miller, IF we can sign Kuz for reasonable money/term. And $5-something for 2 years is quite reasonable.

That said, if someone comes a call'n and offers the moon... I'm not opposed to getting a haul for him either.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Signing him is the easy thing to do. I'd much rather this franchise starts making the hard decisions that can actually turn this club around.

Yup.  If management believes they can build a supporting cast around Petey, ?Hughes, Miller, and Demko that is starting to be good enough to compete in a couple years, and they want that competitive window to stay open through Petey and Hughes’s primes, then we absolutely need a steady flow of young guys coming up and contributing while on their ELCs.  So that means we need to add more higher picks right now.  Those are the guys who will come up and contribute in 3-5-7 years.  Kuz, Bo, and Schenn traded will add important draft picks.  Kuz might bring a couple seconds, and Bo a first, and Schenn a second and a third.  That’s so important to extending the duration of the window to win with Petey and Hughes down the road. 

On 1/11/2023 at 7:58 PM, Dazzle said:

Unfortunately, this means that something's gotta go. One of: Garland, Boeser, and/or Pearson will have to be traded.

Boeser or Garland , 1 of these guys will be traded and hoping its Boeser and 2 yrs at 6.8 million need to retain 1 million for sure to help move him..

Pearson 30 -- 2yrs X 3.2 million need to trade, will have to retain 500,000 to move off this player rather then buy him out and part of his salary goes against cap? Rather just trade and retain 500,000...

Miller or Horvat - will need to be moved.  

Myers - easy to move in summer after his 5 million bonus is paid out July 1st..new team will only have to pay 1 million..

Bear  25 - RD - sign 3 yrs X 2.8 million show me more

Dermott 26 -- sign 2 yrs  X 1.8 million

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

I disagree. Even 2 years diminishes his value. Every measurable statistic in this guy predicts he'll regress in points going forward. I fully expect him to keep this pace up this year, I don't think he can continue to do it going forward.

The ONLY position of strength (if you want to call it that) the Canucks have is at wing. We lack center depth, we lack defense, we have minimal prospect (and the NHL project able ones we do have are wingers), we lack cap space, and we lack the overall talent to be a good team. What does Kuzmenko provide this team that fixes any of these issues?

We have him in the team this year, which is 100% going to be his most valuable season in comparison to his cap hit, and what could end up being his best season overall. The team still stinks, we're bottom of the league with him, and we would be bottom of the league without him. I don't see how having him signed to a bigger contract does this team any good in the 2 year you're talking about.

Wingers are a proven diminished asset in the NHL right now. Even if Kuzmenko keeps up this pace for 2 more years I see no world where he would have a higher trade value then what he has right now at such a low cap hit. 

What is best case scenario with signing Kuzmenko short term. He absolutely dominates while we are re-tooling and then is looking for his long term big money deal at 29 when we are trying to compete. That's sounds a little to familiar to me.

Trading him, in my eyes, is the only way to maximize his value. I fully expect him to be resigned, and I think it would be a massive mistake. 

This^^^ Please for the love of gawd get the maximum return. We need a 6m winger like we need ranch dressing for our cheesy poofs.

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Miller or Horvat - will need to be moved.

it's not going to be Miller, unless he wants to be moved. 

Bo's the one that's going to be traded. I just think it's inevitable. Management has pushed themselves into a corner with the Horvat camp. 

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Then come around in the summer, and resign Kuz. 

lol he ain't coming back if u trade him.. we keep saying trade and then re-sign him in the off season.. how often does that happen?? very rarely? and it's usually guys that's een with the team for a while?? recent ones are what? vermette moulson polak even keith tkatchuk? not exactly a long list and not exactly recent examples.

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol he ain't coming back if u trade him.. we keep saying trade and then re-sign him in the off season.. how often does that happen?? very rarely? and it's usually guys that's een with the team for a while?? recent ones are what? vermette moulson polak even keith tkatchuk? not exactly a long list and not exactly recent examples.

Russian kid coming to North America to play NHL hockey for the first time in his prime. He chose the Canucks because of the relationship he had with the management and the city. He can they go and experience another city, and playoff hockey for a few months, and come back somewhere where he's already made relationships and feels comfortable.

I find the way you say things with such certainty funny. I'd be curious to how often you say something will never happens, and it happens.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

Signing him is the easy thing to do. I'd much rather this franchise starts making the hard decisions that can actually turn this club around.

I see the hard decision as holding the line on Horvat's contract demands, and trading him if needed.